Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #841
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Here's the manufacturer's web site for the filter. It is basically the same as the WIX shown by vswingfield. It does have a safety by-pass. Part number is JX-160.

Dual Filtration
Dean, thanks for the part number.

Looks like a good add on for the PS system. I'll definitely be adding it to ours.

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #842
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I got the power steering pump and fan clutch installed today along with the high pressure power steering hose. The low pressure return lines are pointed into a bucket so that tomorrow I can flush the system before I button it up.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #843
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Power steering pump...

Well, I'm 99% successful with the new power steering pump. Just have to get the rest of the air out of the system.

Changing the power steering pump is not the most fun job in the world. Space is tight down there, those pumps are heavy and a helper would have been great! I ran about 3/4 of a gallon of fluid through the system to flush it. I almost gave up on installing the filter since the return lines are very short and it was difficult getting it in with out kinking the hose. It's in now.

I buttoned up the hoses and added fluid...lots of fluid. No power steering! That had me worried! I kept checking/adding fluid, pressing the brake pedal and trying to turn the steering wheel. Finally I got the power steering pump sqweel/not enough fluid noise. I turned the wheel side to side multiple times and added fluid as needed. I haven't got all the sqweel out yet.

I can tell already that the new fan clutch works different then the last one. It is partially engaged at idle to about 2000 RPMs. If I hold the RPMs just above 2000, within seconds the clutch disengages and I hear the sweet sounds of "fan silence"! Only a road trip will tell of course!

I also changed the GenSet and engine (on the frame rail) fuel filters this morning. I was amazed as to how long it took to draw fuel through the filter to the carb before the engine would start. I'm really considering adding an electric pump back at the tank.

Well, on the the rest of my list!
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #844
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Well, I'm 99% successful with the new power steering pump. Just have to get the rest of the air out of the system.

Changing the power steering pump is not the most fun job in the world. Space is tight down there, those pumps are heavy and a helper would have been great! I ran about 3/4 of a gallon of fluid through the system to flush it. I almost gave up on installing the filter since the return lines are very short and it was difficult getting it in with out kinking the hose. It's in now.

I buttoned up the hoses and added fluid...lots of fluid. No power steering! That had me worried! I kept adding checking/adding fluid, pressing the brake pedal and trying to turn the steering wheel. Finally I got the power steering pump sqweel/not enough fluid noise. I turned the wheel side to side multiple times and added fluid as needed. I haven't got all the sqweel out yet.

I can tell already that the new fan clutch works different then the last one. It is partially engaged at idle to about 2000 RPMs. If I hold the RPMs just above 2000, within seconds the clutch disengages and I hear the sweet sounds of "fan silence"! Only a road trip will tell of course!

I also changed the GenSet and engine (on the frame rail) fuel filters this morning. I was amazed as to how long it took to draw fuel through the filter to the carb before the engine would start. I'm really considering adding an electric pump back at the tank.

Well, on the the rest of my list!
Glad to hear you got the job finished. Your comment about the fuel pump has me wondering. Don't you have an electric pump installed now? Even my little 74 20' Argosy has an electric pump installed by the fuel tank.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #845
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Glad to hear you got the job finished. Your comment about the fuel pump has me wondering. Don't you have an electric pump installed now? Even my little 74 20' Argosy has an electric pump installed by the fuel tank.

Brad
I'm 99% sure there is no electric pump, but I'm going to take a real close look.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #846
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I'm 99% sure there is no electric pump, but I'm going to take a real close look.
The one on my Argosy is a frame rail mounted unit that almost looks like an inline fuel filter. At first that's what I thought it was until I was the wires sticking out of it.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #847
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
The one on my Argosy is a frame rail mounted unit that almost looks like an inline fuel filter. At first that's what I thought it was until I was the wires sticking out of it.
Now I'm 100% sure there is no electric pump. I just crawled under and took a real close look from the fuel tank all the way forward...no pump.

I did however tighter a loose bolt on a muffler bracket, so I can check that one off the list! LOL
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #848
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Now I'm 100% sure there is no electric pump. I just crawled under and took a real close look from the fuel tank all the way forward...no pump.

I did however tighter a loose bolt on a muffler bracket, so I can check that one off the list! LOL
I'm kind of surprised you haven't had issues in the mountains and long grades.

Maybe you should leave well enough alone
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #849
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
If you read the GM vaporlock PDF I posted in the sticky, it seems the reason the pump is needed is less to do with actual fuel starvation, and more to do with curing the vapor lock issue in the lines.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #850
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
If you read the GM vaporlock PDF I posted in the sticky, it seems the reason the pump is needed is less to do with actual fuel starvation, and more to do with curing the vapor lock issue in the lines.
I agree that's what the article says but I keep thinking back to all of the posts that I've read about rigs having a hard time climbing hills due to fuel starvation and once they either installed or fixed their electric pump the problem went away.

That scenario doesn't sound like vapor lock, it sounds like fuel starvation. Which is also the reason I'm surprised Dean hasn't had any issues.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #851
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have an add-on fuel pump from a PO that is located under the frame just after the first in-line fuel filter...the documentation that came with the unit includes a mechanic's letter that says it's not necessary, but the distance from tank to carb is a relevant issue...we replaced the fuel pump a couple of years ago...don't have the serial # handy, as the unit is in storage a mile away, but the next time I go visit her, I'll get that info...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #852
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Haven't had vapor lock nor fuel starvation issues. On last trip to Oregon and back I pulled strong on my buddy with a class C with a Ford 460...we both were towing ATV trailers (3000#+)...of course I gloated as I watched him fall back on those 8 mile long grades over the Siskiyou's!

I bought a new mechanical pump a year ago and I'm going to install it very soon. I also think I will install an electric pump as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #853
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Haven't had vapor lock nor fuel starvation issues. On last trip to Oregon and back I pulled strong on my buddy with a class C with a Ford 460...we both were towing ATV trailers (3000#+)...of course I gloated as I watched him fall back on those 8 mile long grades over the Siskiyou's!

I bought a new mechanical pump a year ago and I'm going to install it very soon. I also think I will install an electric pump as well.
One thing I forgot to mention is my Argosy has a switch on the dash labeled "fuel pump" which tells me it that it may or may not have been used all the time. My rig has a mid chassis fuel tank and then a home made tank in the rear with a selector valve to select between tanks. There is a switch on the dash for selecting tanks.

In all probability the fuel pump was added at a later time, possibly to facilitate pulling fuel from the rear tank.

One of these days I am going to have to sort all of that out. Right now the goal is to just get the engine back in it so I have a reason to sort all of that mess out
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #854
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler

One thing I forgot to mention is my Argosy has a switch on the dash labeled "fuel pump" which tells me it that it may or may not have been used all the time. My rig has a mid chassis fuel tank and then a home made tank in the rear with a selector valve to select between tanks. There is a switch on the dash for selecting tanks.

In all probability the fuel pump was added at a later time, possibly to facilitate pulling fuel from the rear tank.

One of these days I am going to have to sort all of that out. Right now the goal is to just get the engine back in it so I have a reason to sort all of that mess out
Yup, you will need an engine if you ever want to get her on the road!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #855
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I drained and refilled the leveling jack reservoir this afternoon. It's an easy job. Manual states 9 quarts of ATF Type A. It took 10 quarts...that's why I bought 10!

Manual says to change once a year. I don't know if it has ever been changed. I don't really think I'll do it once a year.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #856
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
This is my view this evening as I sit under the awning with iPad on lap and a glass of wine in hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3211171684.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	170747  
Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #857
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Yup, you will need an engine if you ever want to get her on the road!
Got the engine, just need time to clean and paint the engine compartment and install it

This trip I'm on should be my last one for a long time so I will hopefully get time later this winter or early spring to start making some progress.

Brad
Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #858
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Sounds like the previous owner did some mountain driving...
When I installed a rear electric fuel pump on my 28', I also installed a switch with an indicator light. In the flatlands I drove it with the fuel pump off, but once I hit the Rockies and started to climb my first 10 footer, I started to get fuel starvation. As soon as I flipped the switch, the problem was solved. I sure was glad I went through the trouble to install it...
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #859
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH

Sounds like the previous owner did some mountain driving...
When I installed a rear electric fuel pump on my 28', I also installed a switch with an indicator light. In the flatlands I drove it with the fuel pump off, but once I hit the Rockies and started to climb my first 10 footer, I started to get fuel starvation. As soon as I flipped the switch, the problem was solved. I sure was glad I went through the trouble to install it...
Peter, do you remember what make/model of pump you installed?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #860
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Peter, do you remember what make/model of pump you installed?
Sorry Dean, that was in 2001 , all I remember is buying some in stock fuel pump for around $40.- Bucks. But the second best thing I did at the same time was to install a heavy duty canister type fuel filter just in front of that fuel pump. The reason was driven by a breakdown on a 2 lane Hwy construction zone in Northern New Mexico. My primary fuel filter was the glass type I now only use in my genset compartment. Those kind of filters get clogged up by real fine particles. Man, did I learn my lesson being stuck right at the guy with a flag directing traffic. Fortunately, I immediately remembered to check that filter and had a spare filter insert in my magic box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Framfilter.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	170832  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome