Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #701
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow
I took my 345 to Burning Man in 2003 and it was truly amazing. However it took me and my sister 5 days to get MOST of the fine dust out of the coach. At the time I vowed never take the moho back again but I've been feeling the pull to go back. One thing I'd do better if I go back with the coach is a really good waxing before you go. It's supposed to be pretty dusty this year, although not as bad as they were originally forecasting. The alkaline dust, wind, and sun are really tough. You probably already know this ( and I haven't read all 47 pages of this topic yet!) but it usually doesn't hurt to add another data point. Have fun! A lot of my friends are going.
Hopefully with my 280 I'll only need 4 days to clean out the playa dust! LOL. I know it won't be like Burning Man, but the MH gets pretty dusty here at the ranch property. Three summers ago, the inside was full of ash from the fires up here, one which burned onto the property line! I don't think the MH has been waxed in 30 years and even though it has cooled off to a mere 99 degrees today, I just can't get myself outside to do much! I'm really looking forward to BM next week since all this prep work is killing me.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #702
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Silly question...
Are you allowed to run your genset at BM for the AC?
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #703
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Silly question...
Are you allowed to run your genset at BM for the AC?
Most definitely. I think just under the blasting 24 hour a day music, one might hear the hum or roar of thousands of generators! They like for you not to run generators all day and night, but I've heard that many people due. I have solar panels that should keep the batteries charged. I'm taking my Yamaha 2000 for battery charging, lighting etc. I will be using the Onan GenSet when needed for the A/C. We will probably be outside (under shade) most of the time, but they say it is nice to hop in the RV during the dust storms and kick on the A/C. I'm towing my flat trailer and I've mounted my Yamaha 2000, Zantrex inverter and deep cycle battery in the "tool box". I've just cleaned up the Onan GenSet compartment and taped all the seams. I'm taking extra fuel, but I will have to watch the fuel consumption in the MH. Won't be able to get gas for a 100 miles after leaving BM. The forecast is for high of 90 and low of 59. That will be a blessing after being at the ranch for a week at 105 +\- and still over 90 until after midnight! This will be the first time that I anticipate using the GenSet for extended periods of time. I've also built a home made gen-turi to route the GenSet exhaust above the MH roof. I have always have exhaust entering the MH after about 15/20 minutes of use. Hopefully my gen-turi will solve that problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1587957638.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	166196   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2329327814.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	166197  

Name:	image-1112303276.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	166198   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2462322191.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	566.7 KB
ID:	166199  

Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #704
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
We want to know EVERYTHING....
Prep details, plans, and thoughts...
We want Video and pictures...
Everyone agree?

I have an itch too....
I watched this...
Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #705
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Everyone agree?

I have an itch too....
I watched this...
Well, not everything...something's that happen at Burning Man stay at Burning Man! LOL. There will definitely be NO video or pics of me in my "near" birthday suit!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #706
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Everyone agree?

I have an itch too....
I watched this...
Steve, if you took your polished AS, you would be an art project all unto your own! Just let the desert sun shine off it during the day and aim some laser lights at it at night...you would be a hit!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #707
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I have a long way to go before the M/H or the polish job is ready for BM!
Having said that, it seems perfection is not high on the agenda...

As far as your trip to BM goes, I really enjoyed your FF video of the drive to Yosemite, and hope you do some more with some great music to celebrate your trip!
I spoke to the girlfriend and a couple of others, and we think we would like to plan something... maybe 2014..
In the meantime, please keep the prep info coming and when you get back , what you enjoyed, tips and tricks as well as what you learned for the next time!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #708
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Well all is done except checking the oil and loading the food, drinks, clothes and costumes, then we are off to Burning Man!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3756105784.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	166687  
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #709
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Unless I am missing something... you look low on Beer...
I read the warnings... Hydration is important!

Seriously tho, even I am excited, and I'm not even going!
Is the large white cooler one of those super insulated 5 day jobs?
I did a measurement on one is Walmart a few weeks back and then measured my rear compartment... it fits almost perfectly. Our plan is to have one mounted on a shelf on drawer slides... and when we do a longer trip have it full of ice and frozen stuff, that we transfer into the Refridgerator as we go!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #710
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Ya know, a good source of info on BM(and Airstream parking) would be Michael Depraida...Artstream on the forums, a veteran of BM, and a really fun person to know...I could be presumptive, but I consider him the best of friends, and welcome at my camp or house anytime.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #711
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Well all is done except checking the oil and loading the food, drinks, clothes and costumes, then we are off to Burning Man!
See you on the other side. We'll be here when you get back.
Safe travels, dadstoy
Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #712
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi

See you on the other side. We'll be here when you get back.
Safe travels, dadstoy
Thanks! We are back and it was a good trip!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #713
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
dust to dust...

Quote:
Hopefully with my 280 I'll only need 4 days to clean out the playa dust! LOL. I know it won't be like Burning Man, but the MH gets pretty dusty here at the ranch property. Three summers ago, the inside was full of ash from the fires up here, one which burned onto the property line! I don't think the MH has been waxed in 30 years and even though it has cooled off to a mere 99 degrees today, I just can't get myself outside to do much! I'm really looking forward to BM next week since all this prep work is killing me.
I've found that relocating desert dust is as simple as opening all the windows and vents, driving 55-60 mph, and continuing to do so day-to-day until it just doesn't bother me, anymore
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #714
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
We are back home, safe and maybe not so sound, from our very successful and extremely fun trip to Burning Man! I have a lot to say about the trip, but that will have to come in time when my brain starts to function again. To answer the number one question on everyone's mind...is the Motorhome full of dust? YES, inside and out! More dust then you could ever imagine. So would we do it again? In a minute! We will be back next year. We had an awesome time!

The Motorhome performed great with only one problem...about two hours into the trip, the alternator stopped producing voltage. So, what I did was to connect the coach batteries to the the engine battery. I brought everything with me exempt an extra kitchen sink LOL. I connected the batteries together at the isolator with an extra battery cable. If the coach batteries ran down, I could just start the generator and the converter would charge both sets of batteries. I did the same thing for the trip home knowing we would mostly be driving during daylight hours. I've got my fingers crossed that it is a wiring issue and not my VERY expensive alternator.

The only other issue that was throwing me was the level sensors on the gray tank. We went for eight days and the gray tank only showed a quarter tank full. The black tank was close to full. On the last night after packing up and raising the jacks, the sensor on the gray tank showed 1/2. Well we have one heck of a good laugh and then took longer showers! The sensors were working. We had set up an evaporation pond for all out gray water except for showers. We were extremely conservative with the gray tank. We did bring extra water and probably refilled half the water in the fresh water tank.

It was an 11 hour drive back to the ranch property yesterday and we drove home today. The Motorhome is sitting at the ranch in all it's playa dust glory. I be back up there in about a week and I will be cleaning for days!

When we arrived on Sunday night and began the two and a half hour drive from the pavement to the playa, it was dark, windy and dusty with many whiteout conditions. This is where most of the dust came from that is covering the Motorhome inside and out. It took a bit, but we finally found the group we were going to camp with for the week. Monday morning, we left that camp and found our own spot next to our own people and had the time of our lives!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1593816064.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	167486   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-945697863.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	167487  

Name:	image-899695917.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	167488   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2526551071.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	167489  

Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #715
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
DAD...
Another recipe for a successful gathering...dust...well..yeah...it's like...no/\...it is desert...open the windows, drive as fast as you are comfortable with, and wipe it down when you land...I don't think that wasteful use of water was anyway insignificant to Mr. Byam, and I believe he pioneered several conservative innovations...we could still use his innovations, but we apparently have to repeat history...I thank PeeWee for enlightening us on the history of our foundation...I was worried there, for a bit. but listening to him was kinda like a revival...the man is a fount of information, an amiable dicourse, frankly just a fun fellow to know, and a man I would hug, shake a firm hand with, and trust my back to...m
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #716
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Awesome Dean!
Cant wait for more info, and pics!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #717
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
You are very brave

With the alternator stuff.....you are very brave....glad it all worked out okay and that you had a great time......p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #718
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Well it's still a bit confusing. Paula, the upper hose they installed on your 24', is 8767. The label on your hose is a Napa Auto Parts label. I'm going to guess that they cut the 8767 to fit...nothing wrong with that, but doesn't help us know the real part number. I don't think either of the Gates part numbers are correct for the vertically mounted radiator. So I don't think they installed Gates hoses on your rig. I'm going to bet the two Gates numbers are for the P30's with the horizontally mounted radiator. And, yes the bottom hose that they stated should be 21442, not 24442. 24442 is a straight section of hose.

A Gates 21441 is a Napa 8153 which I think is the correct shape but is too long...it probably fits the horizontal radiator. The Nape 8154 looks like the correct size. I had gotten this be via a Goodyear part number and is shorter and I'm guessing for the vertical radiator...I will soon find out! The 21442 isn't even close to the hose on my rig. I have an unused lower hose that is the GM 343414...the original hose that is no longer available. My dad had this one as an extra. I'm going to install it since I can't find a "new" correct one. The Gates 21442 isn't even close as far as I can tell.

I'm just guessing of course, but Paula I don't believe your mechanic is being honest with you.

My radiator hose saga continues.
Dadstoy,

Does this look like the 343414 radiator hose that you installed on your coach?

Name:   lower-radiator-hose.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  4.6 KB

I'm trying to locate one for my 74 Argosy that has the vertical radiator. So far this is the only one that I've found that might work. Since I got the motorhome without a radiator installed (and no hoses) I'm kind of in the dark as to what exactly I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #719
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler

Dadstoy,

Does this look like the 343414 radiator hose that you installed on your coach?

I'm trying to locate one for my 74 Argosy that has the vertical radiator. So far this is the only one that I've found that might work. Since I got the motorhome without a radiator installed (and no hoses) I'm kind of in the dark as to what exactly I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Brad
Hi Brad,

I don't believe that one is even close. Its too long. Send me the part number for the one you are showing me in the pic...I'll look to see if it is one of the one's i also thought it might be. I'm going to bet that you will not find the 343414 bottom hose anywhere on the planet. I simply lucked out because my dad had a new one in his spares...its probably 10 years old but never used and the rubber is in excellent condition. My parts guy and i even sat looking through every radiator hose book he had and we couldnt find either the bottom or top hoses. I did find a top hose that was almost an exact fit by cutting 4 inches off the thermostat housing end. I think i listed the part number in my thread somewhere...I'll look if you need that number. I have a pic of the 343414 hose on my laptop i believe, but I'm suffering from Burning Man withdrawels and i can't for the life of me find the laptop power cord! If worse comes to worse, i still have the old hose and can take another pic of it.

If you do find the 343414 hose somewhere, you will be the luckiest person on the planet...then PM me immediately so that I can get one too and I'll be the second most luckiest person LOL.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #720
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Dean...
I am itching to know all about your trip...
How many people in your party... How did that number pan out and where did everyone sleep(I mean that in a general sense.. like how many slept inside), or did you use tents...How was the temperature... How did the awning system work... Any issues on the Playa surface... any issues with traction or getting stuck, or was there any clearnace issues with the rear overhang.. Any other larger motorhomes there....
Umm.... I better stop for now!

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome