Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #681
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
TV antenna or not?

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the old tv antenna on the roof or not. I've read some posts that say the old antenna pick up digital broadcasts just fine. I'm wondering if this is really the case? I'm wondering if others are keeping their old antennas or taking them off?
On my old 79, I left the Antenna on, it was totally useless but looked so retro
Haven't even started to figure out the Antenna/Satellite system on the 345, so its there to stay for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	164854  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #682
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH

On my old 79, I left the Antenna on, it was totally useless but looked so retro
Haven't even started to figure out the Antenna/Satellite system on the 345, so its there to stay for now.
I kind of like that retro look too, but maybe it's time for it to go. I also have a satellite dish on the rear. My dad actually used it. I double that I ever will.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #683
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I took ours off recently. It would not come all the way down after I put a Maxxair cover on the front vent, and we can pretty much get all the entertainment and news we want via our Ipad.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #684
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim
I took ours off recently. It would not come all the way down after I put a Maxxair cover on the front vent, and we can pretty much get all the entertainment and news we want via our Ipad.
Hi Waipo Rim. What was involved in removing the antenna? Was it easy or difficult? How did you cover the hole? Any advice/pics would be great! Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #685
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

Hi Waipo Rim. What was involved in removing the antenna? Was it easy or difficult? How did you cover the hole? Any advice/pics would be great! Thanks!
As I recall it just involved about fifteen minutes of fumbling around up on the roof. I may have had to take a drill up there with me to expedite the process, but I was not trying to salvage anything and it came off pretty quick. I just cut the cable and left a couple of inches sticking up from the roof, and left the mounting plate that is attached to the crank on the ceiling in place. That is probably how I will leave it, not the cleanest or most complete job but I would rather not open a hole in the ceiling if I don't have to and you can't see any of the remnants from ground level outside. No photos, the 310 is parked at our daughter's in Delaware until we get back there in a few months to see if it is willing to continue its journey around the country.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #686
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
My original antenna is/was missing.
This is what is left on the roof... and inside, the crank handle is still there...

Whilst I am planning a centralized TV/DVD system and adding a Hard drive/Computer input as well, I decided to replace the antenna.
I saw the Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna on sale last year and snapped one up for future use.

Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna - Winegard RVW-395 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

Description..
America’s most popular RV TV antenna just got even better!
Winegard has taken the powerfully performing Sensar III antenna and integrated it with the UHF enhanced Wingman antenna for the ultimate in over-the-air TV viewing! Optimized for the new DTV spectrum, this amplified antenna receives all available VHF/UHF channels so you can enjoy watching all your favorite local programs while parked. Raise, lower and rotate the antenna with hand crank from inside your RV. It’s easy to install and lowers to only 4” inches above the roof while traveling. Includes amplified antenna and lift assembly, 12-volt white power supply with on/off switch, white interior control parts and 20’ of 75 ohm coax cable.

Only time will tell if it will be a waste of money!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #687
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim

As I recall it just involved about fifteen minutes of fumbling around up on the roof. I may have had to take a drill up there with me to expedite the process, but I was not trying to salvage anything and it came off pretty quick. I just cut the cable and left a couple of inches sticking up from the roof, and left the mounting plate that is attached to the crank on the ceiling in place. That is probably how I will leave it, not the cleanest or most complete job but I would rather not open a hole in the ceiling if I don't have to and you can't see any of the remnants from ground level outside. No photos, the 310 is parked at our daughter's in Delaware until we get back there in a few months to see if it is willing to continue its journey around the country.
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #688
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
My original antenna is/was missing.
This is what is left on the roof... and inside, the crank handle is still there...

Whilst I am planning a centralized TV/DVD system and adding a Hard drive/Computer input as well, I decided to replace the antenna.
I saw the Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna on sale last year and snapped one up for future use.

Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna - Winegard RVW-395 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

Description..
America’s most popular RV TV antenna just got even better!
Winegard has taken the powerfully performing Sensar III antenna and integrated it with the UHF enhanced Wingman antenna for the ultimate in over-the-air TV viewing! Optimized for the new DTV spectrum, this amplified antenna receives all available VHF/UHF channels so you can enjoy watching all your favorite local programs while parked. Raise, lower and rotate the antenna with hand crank from inside your RV. It’s easy to install and lowers to only 4” inches above the roof while traveling. Includes amplified antenna and lift assembly, 12-volt white power supply with on/off switch, white interior control parts and 20’ of 75 ohm coax cable.

Only time will tell if it will be a waste of money!
I would eventually like to install a new Winegard as well, the electric one though! The old one is electric so I won't have an old crack handle to deal with.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #689
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I was having trouble with with my old wineguard and replaced it with the Sensar IV DTV/HDTV antenna. It works great, can't believe how many local stations it brings in, and clear too. I did find out after purchasing of new antenna, the problem why the older one never had any good reception was the coax cable had disconnected under the antenna base on the roof, the cable had fallen back inside the ceiling. That was a fun retrieval through a one inch hole, but with a new end connector everything worked fine. Mine is the crankup style.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #690
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran
I was having trouble with with my old wineguard and replaced it with the Sensar IV DTV/HDTV antenna. It works great, can't believe how many local stations it brings in, and clear too. I did find out after purchasing of new antenna, the problem why the older one never had any good reception was the coax cable had disconnected under the antenna base on the roof, the cable had fallen back inside the ceiling. That was a fun retrieval through a one inch hole, but with a new end connector everything worked fine. Mine is the crankup style.
That's a bummer about the cable.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #691
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I'm making some shade structures for the MH and my flat trailer for Burning Man. I'm planning on using 3/4" x 10' PVC pipe and sun shade fabric. The ground ends will slide over 2' rebar driven into the ground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2040493832.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	165490  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #692
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
I'm making some shade structures for the MH and my flat trailer for Burning Man. I'm planning on using 3/4" x 10' PVC pipe and sun shade fabric. The ground ends will slide over 2' rebar driven into the ground.
Don't forget, lots of pictures from Burning Man. I have a dream someday to make the 5,124 mile round trip. Not this year though.

With it being the end of the world for Mayans, there maybe a lot of end of world stories going around.

We look forward to Dad's Toy's story
Old 08-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #693
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
To Burning Man..... And Beyond!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #694
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Yes, I must engage in as much debauchery as possible before the world ends on December 21.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #695
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Yes, I must engage in as much debauchery as possible before the world ends on December 21.
Agreed... I will start now!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #696
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
I'm with Elbundi, love to go to Burning Man. Think we could convince Myrtlelynn to go as well, and we could have a Airstream Classic motorhome section???
Can always dream......
Maybe I'll go into work today and write my name on the OT list.......NOT! lol
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #697
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

I'm with Elbundi, love to go to Burning Man. Think we could convince Myrtlelynn to go as well, and we could have a Airstream Classic motorhome section???
Can always dream......
Maybe I'll go into work today and write my name on the OT list.......NOT! lol
I'm sure you can still get tickets on the "gray market". It would be fun to see you there!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #698
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I'm at the ranch going through my punch list in preparation for Burning Man next week. It seems like all of northern California is on fire. The smell of smoke is heavy this evening. The smoke clouds have come down from the north and a huge plume of smoke rises above Lassen Volcanic National Park to the east.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1656597682.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	166157   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3955066593.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	166158  

Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #699
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
I took my 345 to Burning Man in 2003 and it was truly amazing. However it took me and my sister 5 days to get MOST of the fine dust out of the coach. At the time I vowed never take the moho back again but I've been feeling the pull to go back. One thing I'd do better if I go back with the coach is a really good waxing before you go. It's supposed to be pretty dusty this year, although not as bad as they were originally forecasting. The alkaline dust, wind, and sun are really tough. You probably already know this ( and I haven't read all 47 pages of this topic yet!) but it usually doesn't hurt to add another data point. Have fun! A lot of my friends are going.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #700
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I finally installed the battery monitor that my dad had sitting in the spares.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1921492478.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	166179   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4223856707.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	166180  

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome