Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #463
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
We have the technology to prevent cell phones from working while driving. I have this small battery operated box that I bought from England that has one button on the front. When you press this button it hangs up the call on the cell phone the annoying person next to me in line is on. I love this thing. It is illegal to own or use in this country though. If congress has their way this low power cell jammer will be in all our cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPJAMMER203.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	154066  

Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #464
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Not to pile on, but .........

While cell phones and texting are bad enough, that has got to be about the scariest thing I could imagine putting in front of a driver.

As an experienced operator and rider, who takes motoring very seriously, I find it distressing that anyone would introduce anything into their vehicle that would adversely affect their operation of that vehicle in any way.
Dash boards covered with bobble-head dolls, night driving with excessively tinted glass, rear window shelves piled with stuffed animals, and God knows what draped from rear view mirrors, all pale in comparison to the proven dangers of distraction caused by "electronic devices". I believe it has been established that the likelihood of a driver being involved in an accident when he or she is well beyond acceptable blood/alcohol limits is substantially less than when that person is texting (and sober).
I too, have closely escaped death or injury on a couple of occasions due to someone's "urgent" need to communicate; once while riding my motorcycle, and once in my car. It's no joke, and it's too bad that innocent people have to get killed before it stops. I would find no pleasure in seeing you drive off the road, and would find even less if I were plastered onto your front bumper when it happens.

Not trying to make enemies either, just offering my humble opinion.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #465
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
When Bill Lear invented the car radio in 1930 they said you would never be able drive and listen to the radio at the same time. Can you imagine not having a radio in a car today?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #466
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7389sg View Post
When Bill Lear invented the car radio in 1930 they said you would never be able drive and listen to the radio at the same time. Can you imagine not having a radio in a car today?
Yah, yah, yah. And if man were meant to fly, he'd have wings; and if the earth was round, we'd fall off.

Check the facts. We're not talking about walking while chewing gum.

Passive listening does not require active concentration (but if the song's lyrics contained the winning Powerball number, I bet you'd pull over and pay some serious attention). I'm sure you'd agree that we could engage in a conversation while a radio played in the background. But do you think that you could simultaneously do simple math calculations while maintaining that conversation, and perhaps read (and comprehend) a simple sentence, while also counting how many times my eyes blinked as we faced one another, all at the same time?? We have to accept our functional limitations. I find it troubling that any individual would think that he or she can perform above the actual capacity of their brain, and would attempt to do so while operating a moving vehicle on a public road.

I'm really not looking for a fight here, but in all honesty, driving is probably the most serious task that most of us undertake on a regular basis. The consequences of error are significant. You drift across a simple painted line for just a second or two and maybe nothing happens, or maybe you kill an entire family on their way home. None among us would ever wish to be on either end of that scenario.

There's a big difference between doing something stupid and getting away with it, and actually believing that you can consistently do it without consequence.

Still friends I hope.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #467
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Man! I really love my new steering wheel iPad mount. It is actually quiet versatile. It can be adapted for multiple devices. I can go over my multiple ToDo lists before arriving at my next destination. I can even avoid those dirty rest stops and have lunch right behind the wheel! Ive got cruise control right? And, check out the optional beer can holder that I ordered too!

This sweet little puppy is going to come in very handy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2820634705.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	154085   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4279139669.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	154086  

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #468
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
No worry about meeting you on the road......

YOUR TO-DO LIST IS TO LONG.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Man! I really love my new steering wheel iPad mount. It is actually quiet versatile. It can be adapted for multiple devices. I can go over my multiple ToDo lists before arriving at my next destination. I can even avoid those dirty rest stops and have lunch right behind the wheel! Ive got cruise control right? And, check out the optional beer can holder that I ordered too!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #469
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
no worry about meeting you on the road......

your to-do list is to long.

Dave

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #470
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post

If you're really serious about that, you need a cozy for the beer.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #471
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I agree fully with you Streamquest I was wondering if having a radio on in a car while driving was learned skill. Remember that radio in the thirty's was theater of the mind. TV did not exist yet. It could very well been true that listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio back then was dangerous if you were driving. Talking on the phone while driving seems not be a casual conversation like talking to a passenger. I wonder why that is. I don't remember if talking on a CB in the early 80's was as dangerous as talking on a cell today. Your thoughts?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #472
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Sorry, the whole distracted driver thing is a hot topic with me, and I see it as as component of the mediocrity that is overtaking our society

I recall reading about a study that concluded that only one or two percent of people are really capable of limited multi-tasking. I don't claim to be among them.
Is a conversation within a car less distracting than a cell phone call? I'd say yes for two reasons. The first being that your passenger is a participant in what's just outside the windshield and almost serves as a co-driver. His chatter will probably end as the cars ahead of you abruptly come to a stop, and he may even instinctively try to slow the car by slamming his foot into the floor mat. The second is that while a direct conversation occurs within the car, a cell conversation to some degree removes you from the immediate context and activity in which you're involved. I'd tend to think that visualizing the exploits of the Lone Ranger while barreling through traffic would be similarly distracting.

Since I do most of my driving on a motorcycle, I truly believe that I routinely operate at an elevated level of attention and focus that far exceeds what most people ever apply to their daily driving. I take it seriously, and I consciously work to improve my skills. I'm not drinking coffee, eating a donut, chatting or texting, listening to a radio, applying my make-up, talking to a passenger, checking messages, listening to an audio book, or anything else. To me, all of this crab is indicative of the anti social, self gratifying narcissism that manifests itself in so many ways throughout our society. "Screw the world, it's only about me!"

It's just a different version of throwing your trash out the car window.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #473
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I agree, jim.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #474
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t7389sg View Post
I agree fully with you Streamquest I was wondering if having a radio on in a car while driving was learned skill. Remember that radio in the thirty's was theater of the mind. TV did not exist yet. It could very well been true that listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio back then was dangerous if you were driving. Talking on the phone while driving seems not be a casual conversation like talking to a passenger. I wonder why that is. I don't remember if talking on a CB in the early 80's was as dangerous as talking on a cell today. Your thoughts?

I don't think talking on a phone is any more distracting than talking to a passenger (although some drivers shouldn't even do that) as long as you are 1. not fumbling to find the phone 2. not dialing numbers by hand 3. not holding the phone to talk. The problem is most people, even with voice dial and bluetooth devices, still do all three of these things.

Many, many years ago (I was 18 at the time) while driving a company car I looked down to adjust the radio station, it was an old dial tune radio and a fairly unfamiliar car, still it only took a couple of seconds. In that time I ended up rear ending a 30 ft long, 1980's era Cadillac. Nobody was hurt and there was minimal damage to either vehicle. I was lucky. Had the vehicle I rear ended been a motorcycle someone could have just as easily been killed.

As far as CBs go, they are much more simple devices, there is no dialing of numbers (like most people still do with their phones) and as I said before the I don't think the actual conversation is any worse than talking to a passenger. That said. I have a CB in my Airstream and I hate trying to hold it and talk to someone while I am driving. I like having it, I like talking on it in traffic jams. You can listen to truckers complain and usually find out what is causing the problem. While I am driving, I prefer to just leave it on it's hanger and keep both my hands on the wheel.

Anyhow, point is, as it always was. None of us need any more distractions while driving than we already have. We are all guilty of doing things we shouldn't while driving. Some things are more distracting than others and certain devices should just be left alone altogether while driving. Will any of this conversation stop anyone from doing anything they want to while driving? The answer is no. I said my peace though. Be safe in your travels everyone.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #475
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Don't give up on your iPad mount yet Dean. Download this free airhorn app App Store - Air Horn (Free!) and hook to a loud speaker behind the grill. That way you can toot your horn to all the texting drivers out there. I bet there's a even a dukes of hazard one too, better yet you could toot Ride of the Valkyries like in the movie Apocolypse Now before the napalm strike bit, let people know you're coming.
Lay off the angry birds tho!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #476
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
With all due respect ----
This thread has been a source of great enjoyment as we watch the progress of "Dads Toy" .

It is now being sideroaded by a topic that should have a separate thread.

If everyone agrees, I think a new thread on "Distracted Driving" would be a great place to vent some of these concerns.

Let us learn from this, and do not post sensitive pictures in jest.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
Don't give up on your iPad mount yet Dean. Download this free airhorn app App Store - Air Horn (Free!) and hook to a loud speaker behind the grill. That way you can toot your horn to all the texting drivers out there. I bet there's a even a dukes of hazard one too, better yet you could toot Ride of the Valkyries like in the movie Apocolypse Now before the napalm strike bit, let people know you're coming.
Lay off the angry birds tho!

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome