Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 AM   #1485
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I had trouble with my transfer sw as we were leaving our campsite this weekend, at least I'm assuming it was the transfer switch. Wanted to run the rooftop AC on the way home, started the genny and let it warm up for a good five minutes, went to turn on the AC and nada, checked outlets and nada. No power in the coach. Checked all the usual suspects, breakers on the panel, breakers on the genny, etc..
Turned off the genny, let it sit for a few moments, restarted and bingo everything inside was powered up. So Im assuming the transfer sw didnt engage on the first attempt.

So let me make sure I understand what you did there. Right side box is your feed from the genny with 30amp recepticle. Left side box has feed out the top going to your 120v electrical panel and your shore power cord coming out the bottom. Thats pretty much it correct? Then when you want to power up using the genny you just plug your shore power cord into that new 30amp recepticle?

Mike

Old 08-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #1486
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
I always have one of these in an outlet. Tells me when the genny is kicking in and also the voltage of the landline I am using.
Attached Images

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 AM   #1487
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thats more convenient than having to get my multimeter out of the tool box every time.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #1488
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Hey Mike,

Yes, the right side box is only the feed from the GenSet and connects only to the 30amp receptacle. The GenSet feed had previously entered the left side box so it just needed to move a few inches to enter the right side box. The "extra" romex above the right side box is an "old" cable no longer used...disconnected at both ends, wire nutted and labeled as such.

The left side box is just a junction box to feed the shore power line up inside the coach to the rear closet in the bath. It also fed the GenSet feed to the inside...which is now capped off.

If I need to run off the GenSet, I plug the shore power cord into the new 30amp receptacle (box the right side). I really love the automatic transfer switch and of course it is a bit more elegant, but at this point, I'm not spending another $100 on something that is not actually necessary. I have yet to have to get up at 3am in the morning and switch on the GenSet, so having to manually switch the power cord from a shore power pedestal to the GenSet receptacle doesn't bother me when needed.

Inside the bath closet is the now dead transfer switch (the metal box at the bottom). It is now simply a junction box. I may at some point remove it so there are fewer connections. The black box is the power management system (surge protector). It is probably the best addition I have added to the coach. It has probably even saved my life! Earlier this year the 110v line running from the left side of the salon through the roof and over to an outlet on the right side shorted out somewhere in the roof. The power management system cut off the power otherwise I'm sure I would have had a very jolting experience grabbing the door handle.

A great feature of the power management system is the display which shows and current or previous error condition, the hertz, voltage and amp draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I had trouble with my transfer sw as we were leaving our campsite this weekend, at least I'm assuming it was the transfer switch. Wanted to run the rooftop AC on the way home, started the genny and let it warm up for a good five minutes, went to turn on the AC and nada, checked outlets and nada. No power in the coach. Checked all the usual suspects, breakers on the panel, breakers on the genny, etc..
Turned off the genny, let it sit for a few moments, restarted and bingo everything inside was powered up. So Im assuming the transfer sw didnt engage on the first attempt.

So let me make sure I understand what you did there. Right side box is your feed from the genny with 30amp recepticle. Left side box has feed out the top going to your 120v electrical panel and your shore power cord coming out the bottom. Thats pretty much it correct? Then when you want to power up using the genny you just plug your shore power cord into that new 30amp recepticle?

Mike

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #1489
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
That's a great idea. My power management system has a display which shows hertz, voltage and amp draw, but its in the bath closet, so I keep one of these plugged into the outlet in the galley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I always have one of these in an outlet. Tells me when the genny is kicking in and also the voltage of the landline I am using.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tester.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	246910  

Old 08-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #1490
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
...cuts out after 5-10 minutes. I can bang on it and the relay kicks back in.
You'll know it's time to replace the part when banging on it no longer works...

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #1491
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Knowing where to hit it, how hard, and how many times is a mark of a true professional computer trouble shooter.....been there, done that, and still have the ball cap

(USS Ranger CVA-61. I was a data systems (computers and displays) technician)

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #1492
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Getting Ready for the Next Trip

I spent last week at the ranch working on some motor home projects. We didn't make it to Burning Man this year, but we are heading to Yosemite in about a month.

There are always projects and tasks to do anytime we are about to take our 30+ year old coach out on the highway.

See more on my blog...
Getting Ready for the Next Trip | project AIRSTREAM

Old 09-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #1493
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I spent last week at the ranch working on some motor home projects. We didn't make it to Burning Man this year, but we are heading to Yosemite in about a month.

There are always projects and tasks to do anytime we are about to take our 30+ year old coach out on the highway.

See more on my blog...
Getting Ready for the Next Trip | project AIRSTREAM

Yeah, Dean, always some tasks before and then you get send home with a report card after
A.C.S.L.
Just read your blog, did you replace the rear tranny oil seal while you had access?
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #1494
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Driveshaft is at the machine shop right now. I will replace parking brake shoes and rear tranny seal before I reinstall the driveshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Yeah, Dean, always some tasks before and then you get send home with a report card after
A.C.S.L.
Just read your blog, did you replace the rear tranny oil seal while you had access?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #1495
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
After working on the motor home for four years, the To Do Lists never seem to end, but at least they seem to be getting smaller...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToDoList1-1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	247393   Click image for larger version

Name:	todolist.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	247395  

Old 09-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #1496
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
That looks like a significant reduction to me, Dean; the big plus is you are still getting to use and enjoy it whilst crossing stuff off the list.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #1497
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
There have been many, many lists between these two! LOL

One of my goals has always been to keep the motor home "usable" during any renovation or repair...maybe not always road worthy, but at least livable while at the ranch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
That looks like a significant reduction to me, Dean; the big plus is you are still getting to use and enjoy it whilst crossing stuff off the list.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #1498
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Good morning Dean,
Would you be willing to post the part number for the replacement shoes for the parking brake? I am needing to do mine also. Ive adjusted it underneath as far as I can but I can see the shoes and there isnt much left on the pads. Thank you, happy Labor Day

Mike

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome