Old 08-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #1471
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Old Archimedes would tell you to skip the jack and use a longer fence post! But then there's that problem of having arms that are too short to get the block under the axle.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #1472
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Hate to admit it, but when I owned the 345, I used the leveling system to change all of the rear tires, one side at a time. I understand its not supposed to be used for that, but, darn, it works well.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #1473
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I decided to do the opposite and bought a cheap workable corded impact gun I can run off the generator with a cord and spent the rest on a very good torque wrench.

Cheers
Tony
Tony, I used a corded electric impact as well to change the tire on the Winnebago. I had all the race gear with me as I was coming home from a race so I had all sorts of tools with me. I would also suggest one of those halogen work lights that sits on the floor. Working at night along side the interstate it's always nice to have illumination!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #1474
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Just be careful as not all cordless impact guns are created equal and being that someone told me the torque settings are 175 ft/lbs (this maybe incorrect but it's the shop I do work with that told me this) for our wheels, knowing what final impact torque the gun puts out will be important as you don't want to under or over

Cheers

Tony

But a 4 foot hunk of heavy wall DOM makes an excellent bat for pesky bears. Torque specs for the 360 6 lug wheels is 375-400. 175 sounds is probably correct for the smaller lug nuts. Check your specs.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:06 PM   #1475
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Disappointed and frustrated!

My Parallax line/generator transfer switch has taken a crap. It switches "off" of line power under a load such as with the A/C on. It's only four years old. Corporate profit taking has ensured us a generation of poor quality! This isn't the only thing I've installed that has crapped out in short order. Very interesting that the original switch was still working after 30 years even with the corrosion and rust in it.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #1476
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I'm replacing the transfer switch with low tech...I can't be fixing things on the MH now every time I want to use it!

Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #1477
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Nothing beats a manual - double pole double throw at the correct amperage rating.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #1478
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Nothing beats a manual - double pole double throw at the correct amperage rating.
But you still have to remember to switch off the load by it's of switch so that the arcing doesn't happen at the generator
Old 08-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #1479
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Yup, I agree. I always make it a habit to do that. I even throw the breaker on the pedestal before plugging and unplugging the power cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
But you still have to remember to switch off the load by it's of switch so that the arcing doesn't happen at the generator

Old 08-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #1480
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I'm even going lower tech with just a 30amp receptacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

Old 08-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #1481
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Just for the hell of it, you might want to check the line voltage to make absolutely sure that it is in fact the transfer switch, just curious ??? does the transfer switch kick out when on shore power or generator power ?
Old 08-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #1482
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Dad's Toy

Yup it's the transfer switch. I reconnected it to test again. It works ok under minimal load. With the A/C on it cuts out after 5-10 minutes. I can bang on it and the relay kicks back in.

For about $10 the problem is solved. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440972279.359254.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	246808Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440972301.887233.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	246809Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440972323.157020.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	246810

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #1483
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I'm even going lower tech with just a 30amp receptacle.
Works for me....30amp inlet and either plug in the shore or the generator as available, or don't bother and run on the battery/inverter/solar.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #1484
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
A Thought or Two on Breaking Down on the Road

Break downs of any type are not fun. Last week on my way to the ranch, I had a tire blowout on my truck out on the highway at 70 mph. My truck and I came out of the experience safe and sound...except for the frustration over the situation, a frustration that I just know would have been doubled if I had the blowout on the motor home during a trip.

I've had flat tires before, but never at 70 mph. The truck handled well at high speed and a flat front tire! Driving up and down Highway 5 in California, I'm used to experiencing strong cross winds and as I found myself holding the steering wheel off center about 25 degrees, I was saying to myself that the wind must be blowing really strong out there. I looked out into the fields of corn, rice, sun flowers, orchards, you name it to see if the vegetation was blowing in the wind. Nope! Then it was the quick escalating thump, thump, thump of the tire where I knew it was a blown tire.

I was thinking, don't slam on the brakes, but I sort of did anyway and pulled over to the shoulder. I was a couple hundred yards from an exit so I slowly drove up to the exit. I'm sure that added to the damage to the tire's sidewall, but I didn't want to be changing a tire on the side of the highway.

As with any tire change, it was a pain to get the spare out and a pain to use the tools supplied by the manufacturer but it all worked out. It was only 95 degrees out that day, down from 112 degrees two weeks earlier on the same drive and the smoke from all the fires up north had waned a bit as well.

I had some expensive Michelin tires on the truck, more expensive then the tires I put on the motor home, with a year to a year and a half of life left on them. My spare was a different size and make and it was probably 8 to 10 years old. So know what? I can make it to the ranch, but I can't drive back home on that spare. I knew I would have to change at least two tires if not all four. Where should I get new tires? It was Saturday afternoon and the shop that I use in Redding was closed until Monday.

It's a 100 mile round trip from the ranch property to the shop and I headed out early on Monday morning. The shop didn't have the tires in stock but they would have them the following morning. So another trip into town on Tuesday. With a mix up in getting all black walls verses the raised white letter sidewalls that I wanted, it was a third 100 mile round trip into town again on Wednesday.

Because of the age of the tires, I decided to replace all four of them. What the hell, that is what credit cards are for right? The shop made it up to me and this is why I have used them over the last few years for the motor home and the truck!

It sure would have worked out better if the tire blew out down the street from my home. It sure got me to thinking about breaking down with the motor home hundreds of miles away from home. If this was the case with the motor home, I would have been sitting on the side of the highway for hours and hours. I'm sure I would have ended up with a tire that I would not be happy with at all and probably at a "highway robbery" price!

This is why I go out of my way to do my best to ensure the motor home is mechanically sound before heading out on any trip. This makes for an interesting situation at times for example in the past when the shop says that two of the four wheel bearings need replacing and I have to insist that they replace all four. If two are bad, the other two are probably not far behind in failure as well and I can't afford to be broken down on the highway with something that I could have taken care of before.

We aren't going to Burning Man this year (which starts today), but we are heading to Yosemite in October, so let's see, what do I need to service or replace before we go?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truckflat.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	246869  

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome