Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
Our kids' favorite memory of camping is card games. You may want to invest in a book of card games for kids. I also used to bring a bag of surprises for a long car ride; small games like tic, tax toe, cheap handheld games, coloring books, crackers and peanut butter etc - these were unique to them in their plugged in world��) I used to collect these small things as I went shopping a month or so before the trip. When things started to go downhill in the backseat, I'd hand back something from the bag and it kept us all going. It's going to be the small things that your child remembers i.e. Cooking hot dogs over an open fire, being outside late at night etc., hot chocolate with marshmallows etc., doing things with you. Have a great trip!
x 2 on all of this

Cracker Barrel is a great place to get some of the old fashioned, non-electric travel games (the ones I grew up with like license plate bingo and alphabet search for things out the window), although they are much pricier than they were 50 years ago LOL

I grew up in the 60s traveling by car about every other summer from NC to OR/WA/CA with my mom and brother (Her family was all on the west coast). My mom was a teacher and we had impromptu "lessons" all along the way on everything from geology to alfalfa drying to the Oregon trail. Those are some of my most cherished memories. You are giving your child something that no amount of money can buy! Bravo!!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Depends on the child of course but at age 6, I would do a 'dry run' before you begin the road trip. Staying at the dealership is good idea because you will have time for the child to get acquainted with sleeping in the motorhome. Make it fun and let them 'unpack and pack' their gear so they are invested in 'the fort' too. And, they will learn where to return their belongings and 'help out'. Most kids like to know what's going to happen next so try to have a routine broken out for a 6 year old. I would stop every 2 hours maximum and take a 15- 30 minute break at minimum. Run around and get some exercise, have a snack, play Crazy Eights or whatever makes you happy. Draw an itinerary using pictures maybe matching to watch hands - or whatever your kid will relate too - knowing what to expect helps kids enjoy. Make sure they know what to do in an emergency.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo TX might be fun
phann is offline   Reply With Quote