Old 11-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Since you are starting in N. Ala, why not check out the Space and Rocket Center in Hsv. They have an adjoining campground you could spend the first night to check out the Airstream and get familiar with everything. Mud Island is a neet park on the river at Memphis and the new Bass Pro in the Pyramid is nice and close by. Have a safe trip.

Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1985 31' Limited
minden , Nevada
Towing Insurance

I would highly recommend Good Sam Club for towing and other services. We have a friend who just recently returned from several months in Alaska who had a break down near Weed Calif on the way home approximate 500 mi. left to go (Cat diesel overheated & froze up) AAA wasn't much help (member for some time) wound up paying a tow truck big $$$ to tow his MH to a repair shop near his home in N.Nevada that had done work on MH prior to Alaska trip. Reason: was shop had cleaned and rebuilt radiator on which a small hose had come off due to a clamp not tightened down properly (was very loosely sliding around on hose, never tighten down causing overheating) A new engine was required repair, very costly trip to say the least. The salmon they brought home very pricey per pound!

appliancetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Austin , Texas
If the weather will allow it, take the I-40 route and visit the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest national parks. The latter has some great dinosaur replicas along with the petrified wood and is a much under-appreciated park. I-40 goes right through it. The Grand Canyon NP, south rim, is about 60-70 miles north of I-40, but well worth the effort.

I drove I-10 to LA (from Austin, Tx) and I-40 back home in October. The I-40 route has more things of interest to me. If you go I-10, Joshua Tree NP is on the way not long after you enter California. We drove through it in about 3-4 hours with several stops and found it interesting; scenic in a stark way and probably a good place to visit in winter. A six year-old, however, will prefer Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest.
tomterrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #18
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
San Diego , California

It's so much fun traveling with a child! We are full timing with our (almost) 3 year old. We listen to a lot of audiobooks while we're driving. Consider downloading a series (Narnia for example) - you can play them through the car stereo. If your child has a favorite movie you can also play the audio through your sound system (usb, aux cable or Bluetooth with a tablet) that way you cut down on screen time. Other than that we go through a lot of coloring books/stickers etc.

There are websites and apps that locate the rest areas on your route. Plan ahead! Most stops have restrooms, picnic tables and grassed areas. That way if your child needs a break, you'll know exactly how far you have to travel until the next rest area. They are also great for pulling over to make lunch/snacks.

If you pass through Albuquerque (we were there 3 weeks ago) try to time your visit for the Wild West reenactment in Old Town. It's a lot of fun, Old Town has great food too, lots of Native American history and a rattlesnake museum. We took the cable car up the mountain, walked the trails in the petroglyph national park and visited the pueblo village. There is so much to do there!

I agree about purchasing an electric space heater - propane runs out really quickly if you rely solely on the furnace!

Everage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
San Francisco , California
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
Since you are starting in N. Ala, why not check out the Space and Rocket Center in Hsv. They have an adjoining campground you could spend the first night to check out the Airstream and get familiar with everything. Mud Island is a neet park on the river at Memphis and the new Bass Pro in the Pyramid is nice and close by. Have a safe trip.
Great suggestion! However, I went to high school at Grissom in Huntsville. So, I'm very familiar. My little guy loved the Space and Rocket Center last time we visited Grandpa.

BTW, he's a very chill and thoughtful kindergartener ... the right disposition for a trip like this. However, I think he's going to be super excited as he loves motorhomes (3.5 week trip to Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce & Yosemite last year in a rented trailer) and has no idea what I bought or even that we are going. Full surprise!
nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Sacramento , California
Wait, this is what I am doing! I posted a similar questions and got great answers. Funny that you are just 90 miles past me. I was going to travel next week but decided to wait until Spring for the longer days and hopefully better weather. Please document your trip here so we can follow your progress.
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
Our kids' favorite memory of camping is card games. You may want to invest in a book of card games for kids. I also used to bring a bag of surprises for a long car ride; small games like tic, tax toe, cheap handheld games, coloring books, crackers and peanut butter etc - these were unique to them in their plugged in world��) I used to collect these small things as I went shopping a month or so before the trip. When things started to go downhill in the backseat, I'd hand back something from the bag and it kept us all going. It's going to be the small things that your child remembers i.e. Cooking hot dogs over an open fire, being outside late at night etc., hot chocolate with marshmallows etc., doing things with you. Have a great trip!
x 2 on all of this

Cracker Barrel is a great place to get some of the old fashioned, non-electric travel games (the ones I grew up with like license plate bingo and alphabet search for things out the window), although they are much pricier than they were 50 years ago LOL

I grew up in the 60s traveling by car about every other summer from NC to OR/WA/CA with my mom and brother (Her family was all on the west coast). My mom was a teacher and we had impromptu "lessons" all along the way on everything from geology to alfalfa drying to the Oregon trail. Those are some of my most cherished memories. You are giving your child something that no amount of money can buy! Bravo!!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
Depends on the child of course but at age 6, I would do a 'dry run' before you begin the road trip. Staying at the dealership is good idea because you will have time for the child to get acquainted with sleeping in the motorhome. Make it fun and let them 'unpack and pack' their gear so they are invested in 'the fort' too. And, they will learn where to return their belongings and 'help out'. Most kids like to know what's going to happen next so try to have a routine broken out for a 6 year old. I would stop every 2 hours maximum and take a 15- 30 minute break at minimum. Run around and get some exercise, have a snack, play Crazy Eights or whatever makes you happy. Draw an itinerary using pictures maybe matching to watch hands - or whatever your kid will relate too - knowing what to expect helps kids enjoy. Make sure they know what to do in an emergency.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo TX might be fun

phann is offline   Reply With Quote