Old 08-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Sacramento , California
Broke down in Phoenix! The drum brake exploded in the tag axel. Other rear axel also needs pads. Fortunately RV Master Techs got right on it but it won't be cheap. They are also replacing my frozen AC compressor so that I don't roast. My buddy had to get to visit his ailing father, so I am flying to Phoenix tomorrow then driving to Los Angeles to get the generator carburetor and starter replaced and found a glass shop to replace the window.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #86
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Expect this kind of thing to happen as you start to use it, if the coach had been sitting for a long period of time before you bought it. It will sap your patience and your wallet for a while.

Since you're a gasser it may not hurt to check that your fuel lines are Ethanol friendly. I don't know when the fuel line industry made the switch to accomodate Ethanol.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Broke down in Phoenix! The drum brake exploded in the tag axel. Other rear axel also needs pads. Fortunately RV Master Techs got right on it but it won't be cheap. They are also replacing my frozen AC compressor so that I don't roast. My buddy had to get to visit his ailing father, so I am flying to Phoenix tomorrow then driving to Los Angeles to get the generator carburetor and starter replaced and found a glass shop to replace the window.
Your maiden voyage has certainly turned into a memorable one, unfortunately for all of the wrong reasons.

When they replace the AC compressor I would highly recommend that the condenser also be replaced. The odds are if the compressor is seized then there is likely metal fragments scattered throughout the system.
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #88
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Your maiden voyage has certainly turned into a memorable one, unfortunately for all of the wrong reasons.
The benefit of the generous offer of a pitstop midway comes to mind....
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
The benefit of the generous offer of a pitstop midway comes to mind....
Kinda like a pit stop at the race track
Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Peter, I definitely would have stopped but I was not driving it. I talked my buddy into it, although now I am not sure that was such a good idea. It is at a glass shop and they said replacing that glass will take days. He has to remove the aluminum, so that requires removing the rivets. He said that the window definitely has a curve to it, so that introduces another problem. Driving it will be tricky because now I will not be able to see out of the right side mirror. I wish someone had the stock glass.

As for the compressor, they can't even get the bolt out. They are concerned that they will break it off, so they gave up. My AC will have to come from the generator and the roof ac units. Thanks for the advice on the condenser, bkahler.

I expected a few things. I know these need to run and mine hasn't.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Ryker, you can either do that or plexiglass. Your call. Just know, you will look through it for the side view mirrors. If it were me, i'd do glass.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Vycan, I completely agree, I want glass. So a good glass company can reproduce the window with the correct curve?
Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Vycan, I completely agree, I want glass. So a good glass company can reproduce the window with the correct curve?
Probably not.

Unless you get lucky and find a used replacement glass on ebay or one of the various Airstream suppliers you're going to have to use Lexan or Plexiglass.

The cockpit fixed panes and the coach side windows are not available new anymore, haven't been for years.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
For a quick patch to get home with, could you get some thin easy to cut plexi and tape it in place for now. You will want to be able to see/use that mirror.

Sounds like it may take some time to source the correct glass, and to complete other repairs too. Best to get it home so you can take your time and get it done right.

Good luck in completing your trip home. It will get better!

Cheers Richard
Old 08-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
I got the generator working but now only read AC turns on. How do I switch to front AC? I don't see the switch to go from front to rear.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
On the Classics there is a rotary knob above the range or sink that you can select different functions. One should be rear air and another selection should be front air.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #97
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I got the generator working but now only read AC turns on. How do I switch to front AC? I don't see the switch to go from front to rear.
Typically the 20 amp circuit of the generator runs the rear AC without having to make any other selection. This is accomplished automatically by one of the two transfer switches.
To run the front AC at the same time (generator supplied power) the selector switch should be set to FRONT AC.
If that does not run the front AC AND you have no power at the outlets, check the re-settable breaker(s) at the Romex wire exit point of the generator. It may also be a tripped breaker in the 110V breaker panel.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #98
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Thanks Peter. It was the breaker. I didn't see it on the side.

We made it to burning man but now the refrigerator went completely blank, all plugs stopped working (breaker is tripped), and check engine, light is on. Any ideas on refrigerator? It was working on AC but would not ignite. Now nothing at all.