Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Crank assembly, Delta Antenna,1990

I've done search after search here and cant find anything explaining how the antenna crank assembly on the ceiling of my 1990 MH comes apart.

The outside ring rotates the roof antenna back & forth but the inner portion does not extend or retract antenna. Listening to the noise it makes while turning sounds like teeth on gears not meshing.

The writing on handle assembly says it's Delta Antenna.

Anyone know how this comes apart.

(unable to attach pic at present time)

Thanks
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill View Post
I've done search after search here and cant find anything explaining how the antenna crank assembly on the ceiling of my 1990 MH comes apart.

The outside ring rotates the roof antenna back & forth but the inner portion does not extend or retract antenna. Listening to the noise it makes while turning sounds like teeth on gears not meshing.

The writing on handle assembly says it's Delta Antenna.

Thanks
OK- Just now able to attach a picture of what I'm calling the antenna crank. Anyone know how to dis-assemble this from inside the coach?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01488.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	163749  
Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
If you look closley at the handle that rotates the antena, there should be a small hole on the side that will allow you to use a small allen wrench. Once you loosen the allen, the thing comes appart. Most probably the monofiliment cable has broken. Replaced mine a few years ago and I think I got one of the last ones. Broke a year later and found that the old delta will not work with digital. Now carry a portable dish and use my Directv boxes from home. Much better!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
If you look closley at the handle that rotates the antena, there should be a small hole on the side that will allow you to use a small allen wrench.
raveson- Thank You!! I noticed the small hole in the outside ring but did not realize that I had to rotate the inner to line them both up until I read your reply. Once both inline I had it off in a minute.

By the sounds it makes turning the handle I previously was picturing a pinion gear trying to mesh with a ring gear inside that cover.

THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
345bill
There are gears you will see when removed from the roof, but usually the gears work, but do not respond because the monofiliment to the antena are shot.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote