Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Couple of things - LOL - need help!

Ok, so work was done on my motorhome (a 1989, 345 LE 0 East/West rear queen) - I now have a bunch of problems:

a) No water pressure at all (be it from city or within the water system - i.e. using my onboard pump) -- Symptoms: I figured out that water gets as far as the water heater (located under the dinette seat - but then no presure) They changed the faucets and lines in the bathroom area (toilet) -- could it be that they cris crossed the lines?? Anyone has any drawings or layout of the original setup for the water lines for my motorhome?

I get a tiny dripping water from the cold water - and basically none on the hot site -- what is weird is that when I depress the hot water heater valve water comes gushing out...

b) I also have an oil leak that NO ONE wants to to touch: the lines are rusted (where there is metal) is there anyway to get a full kit (set) of oil lines, including those that go to and from the oil pump? So that I can fix this once and for all??

THANKS SO MUCH for any help.

Chris

Visit my new Airstream renovation blog here:
https://www.AirstreamLoft.com

gypsychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
One thought comes to mind...the 345 usually has an in line filter...we have the twins, so I don't know where the queen one is... but ours crapped out and after replacing the water pump we found out it was the water filter, $25, not the pump $78 the filter looked fine, but the removal was a slimy eeeuuu!!! buy two as you may need a quick back-up...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Chris, if anyone can direct you, it would be Dad's Toy, Keyair, or CrazyVW...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Rivet Check the easy stuff first

Did you look under the right rear for water coming out. They may have opened the drain valves to replace faucets. Switching hot for cold would not cause your problems. The hot water tank probably still had water in it.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
As long as you are accepting guesses, try closing the valve between the hot and cold line at the water heater, should only be open when you are trying to drain the system.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I was going nuts with our water system after de-winterizing the first time - only one faucet worked. It took me 15 minutes of head scratching to figure out that the problem was that the screens in the faucets were clogged. (Later I noticed that someone else had written a note about it in the winterizing page in the owner's manual...hmmm.) Just something quick and easy to check before starting to tear into plumbing.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Hi, the water gets all the way to the heater - but then doesn't flow .. anyone know where the filter Scrapirony-2 is talking about is in the 345 with the East - West queen?

wouldnt it be Before the hot water heater? As for the valves - I toyed with them and I get water coming out indeed...was wondering if maybe there is another valve somewhere that I am missing?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Hi Chris,
I have the service manual for the ealier 345 that has a plumbing schematic... maybe I could email it to you?
The only filter I have found in my MH was between the water tank and pump.. but that is not to say there is/was not another...

The oil leak issue is a common one... I had a leak in my 1987 Suburban, which is similar.
Just an FYI..
On the 454, the front oil cooler is fed from an adapter bolted right above the oil filter. The two metal pipes run along the oil pan, then into flex pipes before entering the cooler or radiator... or both. My leak was from one of those joints. I know your rig has lived in harsher conditions, but its possible that the leak is from the filter, flex pipes or joints, or the O ring in the adaptor above it and running along the pipe... That what mine was doing...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I was going nuts with our water system after de-winterizing the first time - only one faucet worked. It took me 15 minutes of head scratching to figure out that the problem was that the screens in the faucets were clogged. (Later I noticed that someone else had written a note about it in the winterizing page in the owner's manual...hmmm.) Just something quick and easy to check before starting to tear into plumbing.
Yep, had this happen to the bathroom faucet. Had no clue what the problem was until I unscrewed the screen on the end of the faucet. Got sprayed pretty good that time

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Hey Keyair ^ can you post a copy of it here? I dont have access to email...!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
anyone know about the regulator for the water? is it a must? can I bypass it? mine seems shot...

Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychris View Post
anyone know about the regulator for the water? is it a must? can I bypass it? mine seems shot...
As long as you don't introduce to much pressure into the system (above 65 psi) you shouldn't have any problems.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychris View Post
Hi Chris,

Speaking of those regulators, the lot where I park my Excella has one of those right at ground level ahead of the line to my trailer. What I have discovered is that the regulators have a screen inside that can become clogged over time. They are pretty simple to disassemble and clean the screen. I've had to do it a couple of times, usually following construction in the neighborhood that disturbed the water lines. Might be worth checking out.

(At least in my case, the one outside at ground level seems to catch the debris, and being outside it is easier to work on.)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #14

1981 31' Excella II
San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Chris,

Speaking of those regulators, the lot where I park my Excella has one of those right at ground level ahead of the line to my trailer. What I have discovered is that the regulators have a screen inside that can become clogged over time. They are pretty simple to disassemble and clean the screen. I've had to do it a couple of times, usually following construction in the neighborhood that disturbed the water lines. Might be worth checking out.

(At least in my case, the one outside at ground level seems to catch the debris, and being outside it is easier to work on.)
I have an Excella ii and I seem to have low pressure. I am almost positive its the screen. I see the inlet where the city water connects with a water hose, but how do I access the screen?

Thanks,

Randi
RandiLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Chris,
I've been under the bed on my 345LE (where water tank, water pump is located) and have not seen any signs of a water filter.
Of course, that's not to say that my AS didn't come with one. Seems my whole water inlet system was hacked away when someone decided that the hose reel wasn't worth repairing.
Ah, the joys of PO 'improvements'. Will try and get some pix tomorrow and post here for you.
Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandiLeigh View Post
I have an Excella ii and I seem to have low pressure. I am almost positive its the screen. I see the inlet where the city water connects with a water hose, but how do I access the screen?

Thanks,

Randi
It's deep inside the regulator. The outer housing of the regulator is held together with several screws. (The one shown here is similar, but not identical) Remove the top part held on with all the screws. There is a spring pressing against the adjuster screw sticking in at the top pressing down against a mechanism in the base. It's not going to fly out or anything, but you will notice that there is pressure against the pieces while you are backing the screws out. Take them out a little at a time moving around the regulator.

In the base (the lower part where the water enters and exits) you will see a large hexagon shaped piece. Using an appropriate socket wrench, (I seem to recall that it is over an inch-perhaps 1 1/16 or so, but it's been a while) remove the hex piece from the base. It holds the screen.

Treat the screen gently. An old toothbrush would be good to clean it. I doubt you could get a replacement if you poke a hole in it without breaking down and buying a new regulator.

Should you have to replace one of these regulators, they are not RV specific. In addition to Amazon (where I linked for the image above) they are available at plumbing supplies and hardware stores. I've seen them at Home Depot.

I hope this helps. I tried to give the details as best I can remember. I'm kind of handy with stuff, so to me it's a 3 step process:
  1. Take it apart
  2. Clean the screen
  3. Put it back together
I realize that this is a bit brief for most folks.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
My '89 345 did not come to me with a regulator. I use a cheap Camco one that screws onto the hose at the water shut off. The one time I didn't use it, the campgrounds pressure ruined the head's flush valve. My filter is under the east-west bed right next to the water pump. It is the part with the blue bottom connected with braided lines.

I noticed you're in Alaska,. Could your pipes just be frozen (hope not) & not clogged?

I will be scanning in my entire maintenance book. PM me with your address & I will send you a disc copy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7744.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	180221  

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote