Old 09-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #197
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
Pulled the plugs and checked compression. !63 -169 psi. Plugs looked good. I am using AC Delco R45TS plugs. Is there a better plug for these old 454"s? I will take a look at the quadrajet today.
Attachment 270861

Attachment 270862
Greg, if you haven't already, check that fine inline filter that is just beyond the fuel inlet of the carb.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #198
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Took her out for a drive today just to see how she runs. Ran the genset for about an hour with the AC running. All was well! Brad you are right running the rooftop AC while driving is not going to be acceptable. The coach is fairly cool but, sitting in front of that big windshield you get really warm. I will have to get that dash air working.
After checking the plugs I just put them back in , they looked fine. It was still stumbling a bit off idle so I put some Lucas fuel conditioner in the tank and drove another 30 minutes. Seemed like it helped and it was running smoother by the minute. After I got home I let it idle for about 10 minutes while I got things ready to back it into the shop. When I got in the drivers seat to back it in the shop it just died. It would not restart. I let it sit for about 45 minutes and went back out and it started right up.
Vapor lock from idling in 90 degree heat?
Related to the issue with the gas tank and it running out of gas when it reads 1/4 tank?
Weak fuel pump? (when I pump the gas pedal the shot of fuel from the accelerator pump seems weak). What is the procedure for testing a mechanical pump? Can I test the pressure while cranking?

Not knowing what is going on I think my next move is replace the fuel pump. I have no history on the pump and it could be 20 or 30 years old.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Here's a maybe: when my ignition coil was failing, the hotter the engine got, the weaker the spark got. I was guessing at fuel supply problems until it gave out completely and was diagnosed by a mobile mechanic.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #200
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Here's a maybe: when my ignition coil was failing, the hotter the engine got, the weaker the spark got. I was guessing at fuel supply problems until it gave out completely and was diagnosed by a mobile mechanic.
Good point!
What if these two events are related? When I sat on the side of the road thinking I was out of gas, it was in fact a hot ignition. Soo.. after sitting for 1 1/2 hour on the side of the road it cooled off and then restarted. The fact that I added 8 gallons of fuel had nothing to do with it.
Sure glad I did not drop the tank again!
Are these ignition modules suspect? That's what caused this kind of problem on my Ford.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #201
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Good point!
What if these two events are related? When I sat on the side of the road thinking I was out of gas, it was in fact a hot ignition. Soo.. after sitting for 1 1/2 hour on the side of the road it cooled off and then restarted. The fact that I added 8 gallons of fuel had nothing to do with it.
Sure glad I did not drop the tank again!
Are these ignition modules suspect? That's what caused this kind of problem on my Ford.
Your plugs do not point to an ignition issues unless you cleaned them. They would have been black and sooty.
AIR #13
Old 09-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I wouldn't say the ignition modules are a common failure but they do fail and they aren't the expensive. I would suggest replacing it with a new one and do some more test driving. If the problem doesn't re-occur that very likely wasn't your problem. If it doesn't solve the problem you will at least have a spare on hand for when it does eventually fail.
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #203
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Went to another game this weekend.

Replaced the rotor and the distributor cap along with the coil and the ignition module. All looked ok but, were suspect because they all looked very old, maybe 37 years old. No sign of the issue with it randomly stalling.. I think it was a bad ignition part. I did not try to run the tank below a quarter tank (having too much fun to mess around with that) but, I think I could if I wanted to. I will take a 5 gallon can of fuel with me next week and prove the theory.

Runs perfectly on the highway. Set the cruise on 60 mph and she rolls along effortlessly. About 350 miles , got 8.8 mpg

It still stumbles a little, off idle, but, I put some Lucas injector cleaner in the gas and that seems to be helping.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #204
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Greg, just curious if you did check that internal filter at your carb inlet, I mentioned above. Most people have no clue that there is a filter, including myself. I had a very similar problem to yours with my first class C, sudden random stalling and the engine just stopping like there is no fuel. Then an hour later no problem. I finally found that filter to be the problem. Why its random, beats me, may have to do with certain fuel pressure and heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inletfilter.gif
Views:	25
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	271505  
Attached Images

AIR #13
Old 09-12-2016, 03:33 AM   #205
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Greg, just curious if you did check that internal filter at your carb inlet, I mentioned above. Most people have no clue that there is a filter, including myself. I had a very similar problem to yours with my first class C, sudden random stalling and the engine just stopping like there is no fuel. Then an hour later no problem. I finally found that filter to be the problem. Why its random, beats me, may have to do with certain fuel pressure and heat.
When I first got the MoHo 4 years ago I dropped the tank and replaced both the filters (the inline filter along the frame rail and the carb inlet filter) . Everything was spotless. That was only 1500 miles ago but, you make a good point. I will check it tonite. Thanks
Old 09-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #206
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Ok Peter, I took the fuel filter off at the carb inlet. Looking closely at the filter I notice it has a little rubber piece that appears to be a check valve. I pulled it out and found a little chuck of rubber ( reminds me of the hanging chads from the Presidential election a few years back) . Looks like the little chunk of rubber was the piece in the side of the check valve that should have been discarded at the factory. I removed it with a dental pick, it fell on the floor and disappeared.
Now my question is how is supposed to go back together? The brass nut that retains the filter has a thin nylon ring that seems to seal it at the carb body. The other end where the steel fuel line attaches looks like a flare fitting but, it has a little black rubber ring where the flair would seat. Is that supposed to be there? Should I be using a gasoline resistant sealer on the threads? Well you asked !

Name:	IMG_1972[1].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	271578

Name:	IMG_1974[1].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	693.7 KB
ID:	271579

Name:	IMG_1975[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	698.3 KB
ID:	271580
Old 09-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #207
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Ok Peter, I took the fuel filter off at the carb inlet. Looking closely at the filter I notice it has a little rubber piece that appears to be a check valve. I pulled it out and found a little chuck of rubber ( reminds me of the hanging chads from the Presidential election a few years back) . Looks like the little chunk of rubber was the piece in the side of the check valve that should have been discarded at the factory. I removed it with a dental pick, it fell on the floor and disappeared.
Now my question is how is supposed to go back together? The brass nut that retains the filter has a thin nylon ring that seems to seal it at the carb body. The other end where the steel fuel line attaches looks like a flare fitting but, it has a little black rubber ring where the flair would seat. Is that supposed to be there? Should I be using a gasoline resistant sealer on the threads? Well you asked !

Attachment 271580

You are not supposed to listen to whatever I may say
I would like to hear others input on this, but I completely removed that filter from my carburetors in the past and only used inline filters that were much easier to maintain.
I would use a gasoline resistant sealer along with the nylon ring.
But do you think that little piece of rubber could have caused some fuel delivery issues or even worse issues later ?
AIR #13
Old 09-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #208
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Yes I do. Could very well have been causing the problem. At this point I am concerned that I get it back together in such a fashion that it does not leak. I had a friend whose pick-up truck burnt to the ground a week after his mechanic rebuilt his carburetor. I have visions of ASTailgators Moho burning up. I have come way too far for that.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #209
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Yes I do. Could very well have been causing the problem. At this point I am concerned that I get it back together in such a fashion that it does not leak. I had a friend whose pick-up truck burnt to the ground a week after his mechanic rebuilt his carburetor. I have visions of ASTailgators Moho burning up. I have come way too far for that.
I hear you, I found a missing fuel hose clamp right above the exhaust and a leaking throttle body on my FI, so I can appreciate your concern.
But knowing your history of how you do things, I doubt you would even leave the driveway without having checked and doubled checked for leaks.
Still would like to get others input if that filter (and check valve) is better off in the junk pile
AIR #13
Old 09-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #210
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Agreed. Hopefully someone with experience with quadrajets will chime in with some sound advice.