Old 08-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #169
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
What a pity; I miss the days of Mike's unabashed optimism that even putting on a new steering crank bell was a mere 1/2 hour, 1 hour tops event; "how hard could it be?" I seem to recall him pondering.

A whole different tune these days, although Mike is fast becoming a motorhome guru for getting things done, and done right.

Cheers to Mike and Lynn.
Tony
I just figure if I don't touch anything then I cant make any mistakes!!!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #170
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Sounds to me like the float bowl needle valve that shuts off fuel is sticking open allowing a constant flow of fuel which would enrichen the mixture.
One other thing I failed to mention. The gasket between the top of the carb and the air filter assembly is soaked in gasoline. How can gas get up there?? The filter is new and is not obstructed. The choke is clearly wide open, I cannot find a rebuild kit for the carb I have (type A pre-1979). I think I found a source for a brand new carb (type B ). I think I will try that route.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Greg, the only thing I can think of that would cause gas to get up that high would be if your timing was to far advanced.
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #172
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Sounds to me like the float bowl needle valve that shuts off fuel is sticking open allowing a constant flow of fuel which would enrichen the mixture.
My thoughts...
Funny, I went throught the same ordeal with the 4.0BFA on my 79 and never could find a replacement carb. Would be good to know if the other type carb will work, since according to Onan at that time (2001) there was no replacement carb available for that model.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #173
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
My thoughts...
Funny, I went throught the same ordeal with the 4.0BFA on my 79 and never could find a replacement carb. Would be good to know if the other type carb will work, since according to Onan at that time (2001) there was no replacement carb available for that model.
Found a carb for $200 on ebay. Figured it was new-old stock but, hey I was desperate, Came in yesterday and I installed it last night. Stamped right on the box 'Japan Dec 26, 2015', Any of you guys that work on these old girls know the drill. The carb is connected with two bolts, one linkage, a fuel line and one wire. How long can that take? Well about 4 hours! To remove the carb mounting bolts you must remove the manifold, to remove the manifold you must remove the shroud and the governor bracket and the....
Long story short when I hit the start button it came to life immediately and ran flawlessly. Without adjusting a single thing it was producing good clean power.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
What does it mean when the gas gauge on your Excella 240 says 1/4 ?

It means you are out of gas!!
Last scrimmage of fall camp was today, so we decided to make a trip up to the stadium (120 miles). Kinda like a shake down trip just to make sure everything was good to go. Drove beautifully, performed well, very happy with the trip up. On the way back we were down to 1/4 tank so I was thinking we should get gas soon. Before I knew what was going on she started stumbling and missing and within a 1/4 mile she died on the interstate. Long story short we put a movie in the dvd player and called in the cavalry. Two hours later we were at the gas station. She would only take 26 gallons??? Is the pickup tube not reaching the bottom of the tank? Is the gas pump clicking off well before it is full? Add another item to put on the bottom of the list.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Greg,

That's great news about the carburetor! Would you be willing to share where you got the carburetor, i.e. who the seller was?

Your gas tank has two taps, one for the engine and one for the generator. Is there any chance your main engine feed is connected to the wrong tap? The generator tap only goes into the tank about half to two thirds of the way.

I had to hook the main feed to the generator tap once due to a dried and cracked main feed hose at the tank outlet. I swapped over to the generator tap to get home. What can I say...it worked!

Brad
Old 08-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #176
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Quote:
Greg,

That's great news about the carburetor! Would you be willing to share where you got the carburetor, i.e. who the seller was?

Your gas tank has two taps, one for the engine and one for the generator. Is there any chance your main engine feed is connected to the wrong tap? The generator tap only goes into the tank about half to two thirds of the way.

I had to hook the main feed to the generator tap once due to a dried and cracked main feed hose at the tank outlet. I swapped over to the generator tap to get home. What can I say...it worked!

Brad
Good observation Brad!
When I first got this MoHo I removed the gas tank and replaced all the hoses and flushed the tank. It was amazingly clean inside for a tank that had presumably been sitting for nearly 20 years. The whole process did little but offer me peace of mind. If I had thought of that I could have tried to start the genset when the 454 was not getting fuel. Not sure how to confirm that now. That would explain why it would only take 26 gallons.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #177
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio

Ebay Store: Get RV Parts
Old 08-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #178
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
Good observation Brad!
When I first got this MoHo I removed the gas tank and replaced all the hoses and flushed the tank. It was amazingly clean inside for a tank that had presumably been sitting for nearly 20 years. The whole process did little but offer me peace of mind. If I had thought of that I could have tried to start the genset when the 454 was not getting fuel. Not sure how to confirm that now. That would explain why it would only take 26 gallons.
The only way to tell the difference as to which suction pipe to use is the diameter. The generator tap should be 1/4" or 5/16" and the 454 tap should be 3/8".
Old 08-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #179
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post

Ebay Store: Get RV Parts
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #180
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
The only way to tell the difference as to which suction pipe to use is the diameter. The generator tap should be 1/4" or 5/16" and the 454 tap should be 3/8".
I often don't get pics along the way but, this time I got lucky. Looks to me like the tube shown with the red hose on it is the supply for the genset. I will crawl under there and see what's going on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH 7152012 005.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	728.6 KB
ID:	269664

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH 7152012 008.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	717.3 KB
ID:	269665
Old 08-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Greg, looking at your picture you could also be tapped into the return line pipe. The return line is 5/16 and looking at your picture is about 1/2 way between the lower pickup and the top of the sending unit.

Pictures are definitely worth taking along the way!

Brad
Old 08-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #182
4 Rivet Member

Tipp City , Ohio
Brad
Are you thinking that the sending unit is mounted on the return line?
I can't figure out what I am looking at.
The line with the red hose appears to be the genset. Since it is smaller I think it is highly unlikely that I hooked it to the 454.
The one with the filter on the end of the pipe is the 454 pick-up.
The really short on I assume is the return line from the fuel pump.
What is the forth one and what does it do?
The way I see it there must have been 14 gallons in the tank when the pump ran out of gas.
Man, I would hate to have to lower the tank to solve this but, driving around with a 160 range is not an option.