Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Couch Replacement - 1990 250

Planning has started for the changes that we need to make in our newly acquired 250. I have a few questions for those of you that have remodeled:
1. Does the Flexsteel replacement captain/co-pilot chairs from Bradd and Hall fit perfectly in the Airstream?
2. The couch/sleeper will have to be replaced. What do you recommend that can still be used as a bed and have the storage underneath and be light.
3. Our unit has two seats behind the passenger side and a drop-down table in the middle. The seats move back and forth and can swivel. The controls are on both hand rest area. I don't know if these are called "cocktail" chairs or not. What is a good replacement for them.

We are looking to have all the pieces match in material and color. Any recommendations and pictures will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Sonia
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Discountvantruck.com has some great rv furniture Including swiveling captains chairs, beds, etc. They are also great to deal with.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
If frames aren't trashed or bent, they can be disassembled and taken to local yhome or auto upholstery shops for new foam and fabric, and made better than new (high density/memory foam surface..) with tasteful fabric of your choosing... Could be another option... Otherwise, Flexsteel seems to have market cornered...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We found that the two chairs and table behind the passenger seat were used for a convenient 'flat' surface, so we pulled them out and put in a treadle sewing machine frame(sans machine) as a computer desk...also rebuilt a bookshelf to fit under the fold-out top...Flexsteel does seem to have the market, but a little creative innovating could replace the existing couch and delete a LOT of weight...a kid's bunk bed(single layer) usually has a slide-out drawer(s), and anchoring shouldn't be a problem...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Ditto on Discount van/truck. They were great to work with, and make everything right in their own shop. It's nice to see something being made in the USA.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
We found that the two chairs and table behind the passenger seat were used for a convenient 'flat' surface, so we pulled them out and put in a treadle sewing machine frame(sans machine) as a computer desk...also rebuilt a bookshelf to fit under the fold-out top...Flexsteel does seem to have the market, but a little creative innovating could replace the existing couch and delete a LOT of weight...a kid's bunk bed(single layer) usually has a slide-out drawer(s), and anchoring shouldn't be a problem...mike

Hi Mike,
Anyway possible you could take a photo of your mod to the seating area?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Yeah, ditto..... Mike...can we see some pictures?

The frame for the sleeper/couch is good, i just don't like the style. I want something that can be cleaned easily.

The dashboard is in good shape, just not my choice of color ("mauve"). Can that material be painted or do I have to take it to a custom car shop and have it replaced?

Thanks!
Sonia
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Sonia,
There are quite a few different paints out there for your dash. Just be sure to get the correct paint for your dash. Mine has 'hard' areas, and 'soft' areas too. I'm not certain, but thinking you would have to purchase 2 different paints, don't hold me to that. I'll ask at the paint store in the morning. Have fun with your new acquisition. Love to see some pix of it. Found some on Fred's site. Never realized that Airstream made a 25 footer until you started posting. Looks like you've found yourself quite a Dream Airstream.
Thanks, Derek
Old 10-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
OK, when it quits snowing and the ice on the sidewalk melts, I''ll shoot some pics, but will have to rely on Tracy to convert them to the forums...I will carefully watch her(again) and miss something important, anyway...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
couching my reply...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
The frame for the sleeper/couch is good, i just don't like the style. I want something that can be cleaned easily.
Thanks!
Sonia
Our couch is one of those 'neat' fold-outs that works off a switch...a selling point at purchase, but the first time I tried to sleep on it was the last time...no comfort in straddling that arroyo
When I motivate enough to remove the shameful once-beige carpet(WHAT were they thinking???) and put in Pergo, I will replace the couch with something more user friendly...don't know what, yet, but am counting on recognition when I see it
mike
Old 10-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Michael, I've always wondered if a fouton would work in our sofa area? Of course, don't know if mattress on fouton is any better than the jack-knife sofa. To be honest, the sofa isn't really good at being either.
Derek
Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
sofa, so good...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Michael, I've always wondered if a fouton would work in our sofa area? Of course, don't know if mattress on fouton is any better than the jack-knife sofa. To be honest, the sofa isn't really good at being either.
Derek
Hey Derek,
A futon is kinda low, but a platform with drawers underneath might be a solution...maybe a fold-out extension for more width...? I'm no where near getting to the carpet removal, but I do rake it, periodically....
mike
Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Actually 'borrowed' a carpet cleaner for my Airstream. Know it was 'clean', but NOW I do know it's really clean. I'm thinking cork for replacement at a later date. But then again, I kinda like the carpet, we'll see after 1st camping trip how much dirt accumulates on carpet. I've slept on a fouton, and it wasn't much better than others describe about jack-knife sofa. Would love to get sofa bottom cushion a bit higher, we'll see. Get it torn apart, it may have something causing it to nose-dive to the front.
Thanks, Derek
Old 10-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
If I cleaned the carpet, I would have to do the walls/ceiling at the same time, as they are a carpet, of sorts...great for velcro...and dust...
Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Carpets

We have an oatmeal/beige color carpet in the trailer and everywhere we go, as much as I cover it with throw-rugs, I get a few dirty spots on it. So I know that camping and carpets don't go well together.

The moho has wood flooring, much easier to keep clean.

Sonia
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sew now you see...?

Attempt #2...I still maintain that if this doesn't work, I'm exonerated...IT'S TRACY"S FAULT!!! If it does work, I'm a genius(ok, ok...maybe an idiot savant...ok, ok, maybe just a lucky idiot...).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6021.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	142605   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6023.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	142606