Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
converter

when i plug in the power cord...the converter is humming quite loudly ,which is very annoying,how complicated is it to put in a new one? and how expensive is it???i guess i will have to find one from airstream....????
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
A new, much-better-than-original converter is available for $150-$200. If you're moderately handy with electrical things it's not a complicated replacement, though yours may be of the age where there's an output on the converter that's just for the "control panel" indicator.

bestconverter.com is a popular source (and a commercial member of AIRForums) but there are various other sources as well. You want a 3-stage converter as long as you're upgrading to new, it'll take better care of your batteries.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
converter

thank you...The hum does come from the control panel...what does it mean????i am not a very good with electrical ,just do simple repairs, some one will come and help me but i need to know exactly what to get..can you be a little more specific please as to what output on the converter that is just for the control panel??????
Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
la nomade,
Purchase will depend on what you currently have. Guessing possibly a 45amp converter/charger.

I'm including a link that will give you an idea where to start. There certainly are others, and from what I've heard, bestconverter.com (888-828-1893) will be able to help you in any way possible.

Of course, there's always websites, here's what I found for Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...rter%20charger

Prices are certainly affordable.

Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
converter

I just ordered one of these http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dy...words=PD9260CV

The original works fine but has no charge function. It outputs a constant 12.5 volts.

We camp unplugged quite a bit and I want to be able to charge the batteries off the generator. 60 amps should be a good compromise between charge rate and power draw.

As much as I like to patronize local shops, I couldn't justify the extra $100+. They all seem to be asking $265 + tax.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
i spoke to Randy at bestconverter.com and he new exactly what i was looking for and is sending it...spoke highly of the airstream forum....and was very helpful..thank you for recommending it...when it gets here i will give you more details and exact cost with shipping ..etc....M.V
now its a matter of installing it...with a lot of help from my friends!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
What a difference...i installed the new converter today,no more Hum,a relief...its a POWER MAX 60 amps 4 stage converter /charger,PM4B-60as item number fromBest Converter..$159 plus $14.63 shipping..the only difference with the old one, it does not have a wire that indicates the A.C.is on ,on the control panel,which i do not mind at all,i know its on when everything works....so a great improvement
Hope this info may help someone else.M.V.