Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Metairie , Louisiana
Considering a 280 Diesel? Any thoughts?

Hello,
I am new to the forum and I found what appears to be a 280 Excella Turbo Diesel. About 89,000 miles, center twins, looks like it has been sitting for about 4 years. I going to go back and inspect it more thoroughly. Any tips on what to look for? Do these MHs have any special problems I should look for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Al
altemplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Al,

Check out the following thread, lots of information on what to look for.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...-mh-39380.html

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hi Al,

Um... you wouldn't want one of those things. They're uh, shiny and draw attention, and stuff. Let me know where you found it and I will take care of the problem for you, yeah, that's the ticket.

Just kidding! That's a great find. Brad sent you some good info above. If you do end up with it, fantastic! If not, please share the info so someone else who loves the classics can get their hands on it.

The forum is a great resource! The search function will become your best friend. And we LOVE pictures!!

Good luck,
Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #4

Ryem , New Hampshire
I also know where there is one in Mass available, blown Isuzu motor and has been sitting 5 years. Lots of other issues but the body is pretty good. Its a 28 Excella 1981 He is asking 5K I thought about doing a Cummins conversion. Still have not rulled it out. If anyone wants his info let me know....John CAPT100J@Yahoo.com
CAPT100J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Hypnotist

1982 28' Airstream 280
las vegas , Nevada
thoughts on MH

I own a 82 280 Turbo Diesel and as Chaplain Kent told me what ever you pay for the MH is just a down payment....

The Isuzu engine is great however it does not have any support from either Isuzu nor chevy.....
Possible and probable problems with MH
Suspension
Driveshaft Ujoints
Tranny
Brakes
Hydroboost (pain in the (*^*(^*#$%%)

Outside of that check the floors preferably with a awl or large nail.. Check Bathroom in front of Fridge and sink and under the driver and passenger windows if the awl sinks through you may need to replace floor panels...

I have been updating mine and it drives like a dream you can even make a u-turn with it they are great MH but usually need a lot of TLC

Justin
jjhypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by altemplet
Hello,
I am new to the forum and I found what appears to be a 280 Excella Turbo Diesel. About 89,000 miles, center twins, looks like it has been sitting for about 4 years. I going to go back and inspect it more thoroughly. Any tips on what to look for? Do these MHs have any special problems I should look for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Al
The Isuzu diesel was changed - check the model number - 6BD1A has an Airstream-added turbocharger kit but later models came turbocharged and give fewer problems. Good luck and above all, ENJOY.
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Metairie , Louisiana
Thanks for the Info.
Q? When you say check the "Model Number", where would I find it? I gather that one engine is a 6BD1A with the Airstream added turbo. What would the other engine be? Did Isuzu install the Turbo? Is this a better engine? What is the difference?
Thanks Again, Al
altemplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by altemplet
Thanks for the Info.
Q? When you say check the "Model Number", where would I find it? I gather that one engine is a 6BD1A with the Airstream added turbo. What would the other engine be? Did Isuzu install the Turbo? Is this a better engine? What is the difference?
Thanks Again, Al
The engine has (or had) an identification plate riveted onto the top of the rocker cover (top of engine) near the back. You should find it easily with the doghouse cover off. It may be buried in grime and/or old paint (some idiot PO had silver-painted mine!). If it is missing, find the Airstream serial number (not the VIN) on a plate riveted to the frame inside the front engine-access door and call Airstream. They can't tell you much, but they can say from the serial number which engine they put into that particular MH. The later model has more horses, more torque, and an intercooler. BTW you should also look into having your front end suspension examined by a very careful professional mechanic - especially the ball joints. When AS exchanged the engine (they took out a 454 in many year models) they forgot about the increased engine weight. Ball joint failure on the road is no fun. Ask me how I know this.
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Be sure to check for water in the fuel before you try to start it.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I think I had a post here that dissappeared for some reason.

The later model engines have a factory turbo and a lot more horse power. I can get parts for mine from a company called "Catco" here in the midwest. There are lots and lots of delivery trucks running around here with the same engine.

Ironically, due to import duties it is cheaper to buy a rebuilt engine that it is to rebuild one. That's because the duties on individual parts are a lot more than on an engine.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Hypnotist

1982 28' Airstream 280
las vegas , Nevada
Cooper, what yr is yours? The problem I have is no one knows which version of the 6db1a I have although it is a factory turbo when I investigated Isuzu stated there were 50 applications of that motor most in heavy industry...

I really would like to at some time update my exhust system and turbo if possible never mind be able to find parts.. this last summer they had to fabricate parts for me because no one could find anything on this particular motor and when I called Airstream they said call chevy and hung up... not nice...
jjhypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
310 TurboDiesel

did they make a 310 with the isuzu TD?
Friends neighbor has offered it to them, they'd like to get a motorhome and this is right next door. Being an Airstreamer I'm encouraging them.
She just had a new engine put in it last year. if it's in nice shape overall, how much do you think would be a fair price?
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhypnotist
Cooper, what yr is yours?
Sorry I missed this before. Mine is a 1985 6bd1. What you need to do is find one of the delivery companies in your area and ask them where they get parts. This particular engine was used a lot for stationary power plants and irrigation engines as well.

I believe they did put it in the 310 as well.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote