Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Aluminated

1987 29' Airstream 290
El Cajon , California
Compressor runs but needle doesn't move!

Can anyone tell me where to manually fill the rear air shocks? When I turn on the ignition, the air compressor comes on, but as I watch the needle on the air pressure gauge, it doesn't move up! The needle is resting at the bottom of the green zone. Could you tell me where the compressor is mounted? I think I heard once that it was in a rear cabinet or under the bed???

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjan2 View Post
Can anyone tell me where to manually fill the rear air shocks? When I turn on the ignition, the air compressor comes on, but as I watch the needle on the air pressure gauge, it doesn't move up! The needle is resting at the bottom of the green zone. Could you tell me where the compressor is mounted? I think I heard once that it was in a rear cabinet or under the bed???

Check the bottom of your air tank, some have a filler valve other only have a drain valve.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my '83, 310 (when I had it) my compressor would run but not fill the tank and the gauge was direct connected to the tank. It took me forever to find a little check valve in the line from the compressor to the tank which was stuck shut, no air would go through it from either direction, so the compressor could not fill the tank. Once I replaced that check valve, my air suspension system finally worked right.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
On our 345(twin beds), the compressor is under the curbside bed, and the tank is in the rear curbside outside door...there is a drain valve at the bottom to bleed off water, but ours is stuck tighter than I am comfortable with trying to loosen...I have tried several types of looseners to no avail, so I'll continue the bumpier road till the bucks for that repair fall in my lap...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjan2 View Post
Sometimes the compressor was mounted in the generator compartment.

Andy
Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Aluminated

1987 29' Airstream 290
El Cajon , California
Well....Just an update. In the rear curbside storage compartment I found a valve. The same type of connector that is used for a compressor, and a pigtail airhose with a tire air filler on it! I modified my shop air compressor so I could attach the air hose to the connection in the storage and the outlet on my shop compressor. With both tanks empty I turned on the electric power and watched as the gauge on my shop compressor went to a little over 65 pounds. That's where I stopped it and then I checked the dash gauge and it's correct. Now, three days later I hooked the airhoses and checked the dash gauge against my shop compressor gauge, and low and behold I haven't lost an ounce of air! Now, can someone tell me how much air pressure the rear airbags should have?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I ran the air system in my '83, 310 at 95 PSI. The bags themselves are regulated by the level valve using air from the main tank. They do not have a designated air pressure as such, it depends on the load. The leveling valve regulates the height automatically as long as there is enough pressure in the main tank. It lets more air into the bags as needed to raise the coach, and even lets it out if the level gets too high.

It sounds like someone removed the air compressor or the line from the air compressor to the air tank. I would re install that original system so it works automatically as designed.