Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
compressor

The minute i turn on the motor,the compressor goes on and stays on for quiet a while ,like 3,4,minutes minn,have not timed it....Now, since i fixed the antenna,radio now works...testing the horn,which works fine,i hear a air noise in the side panel of the driver seat..as if there is a loose hose ?????connected to what???just air horn???front air bag ????what else????and the main question is will it interfere with my driving up north ????as usual i rely on you all for a diagnose ,a solution....But how in the world does one get behind that panel without having to remove everything...????
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My '83 310 had no air lines in that area at all but who knows what was changed in the 7 year difference between mine and yours. Is there a factory air pressure gauge or an add on one on your dash? They could have run a line to that. Air horns are generally run from their own mini compressor. Front air bags in the coils of a P30 were filled (on my 83) with an air hose like a tire, and from the underside. All air from the compressor was confined to the back part of the coach only.

If the compressor shuts off and does not run too often (more than once an hour or so) you should be OK until you can find the real problem with a leak.

How you get behind a panel without removing everything else? Well, hmmmm, you remove everything else....lol. Some things require so little service that they are assumed to last a lifetime and are hidden.

I am not sure that was any help, but people are out here thinking of you.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Didnt you just say you thought you drilled a airhose when you were fixing your antenna?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
yes but,...the noise comes from a different place,right next to me on the driver side,behind the panel,away from where the antenna comes in,i was just thinking that it may have had something to do with it.....but now i think the whose to the air horn has been dislodged,has a leak ????and therefor drains the air from the mini horn compressor near the bottom of the steering wheel.....?????no matter what,eventually i am going to have to address this.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
On my 91 the front airbags have a manual fill under the front outside engine access. There is a little air gauge that is supposed to be filled to 55 psi. The compressor under the bed in the back comes on when I turn on the key and it goes off in a couple of minutes. That is for the rear airbags that fill and raise the moho to a predetermined height. That height changes depending on the angle of the parking spot. Seems normal to me.
The panel that has the arm rest, cigar lighter, seat switch comes off after you pry the fake wood panels off and then drill the now exposed rivets out and the panel comes right off. With the panel off you can also see into the lower part of the B pillar where the radio antenna resides and you may find the leak there. Steve
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
now, that sounds very encouraging.....and yes, normally the compresser sometimes comes on to level the rig....that is normal..this situation is different and most probably has to do with the air horns i guess i will not find out until i get behind there to actually see where it leaks out ..THANK YOU so much,this will help me solve this problem.....not right away though,i am off to south Africa on a scientific expedition,looking for new species of Pelargonians,(family of wild gereniums.) very medicinal plants..will be back end july and then go north to nova scotia...will fix this either just before going north or once i am there...will have no wifi for a long 3 weeks!!!so,i am signing off till then..thanks a lot.M
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
You can also just remove the cup holder and ash tray to see inside there and use a tooth brush and soapy water to check that air line. My horn air line is run up the colomn on the drivers side (under vinyl cover).
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
it has been fixed..indeed,when drilling the old antenna wire out of the way to insert the new one,the radio man drilled trough the air pipe.....!!!so,my friend Brady peeled away the material,cut out a space to reach the exact spot where the antenna comes in,and yes,found the tubing (same as refrigerator tubing) perforated,he put in a new link and...it is fixed....the material was put back into place..looks as if nothing ever happened..
getting the airstream ready to go north to nova scotia ...keep my finger crossed that nothing else will break down on the road,so far i have beem very lucky....M
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Didnt you just say you thought you drilled a airhose when you were fixing your antenna?
I have long learned that when something happened right after you did something else the two are normally connected!

Pleased you got it fixed!!!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote