Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Completely out of left field

Hello to all Classic Airstream motorhome owners. I'm just over a week away from purchasing a long-time dream of mine. I will become the owner of a 1989 Airstream Classic 345.
But! Now it seems that I've got 'friends' coming out of the woodwork asking to 'borrow' my Airstream.
If anyone has had this happen to them in the Forum, what was your response?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Hell no!!
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
hello to all classic airstream motorhome owners. I'm just over a week away from purchasing a long-time dream of mine. I will become the owner of a 1989 airstream classic 345.
But! Now it seems that i've got 'friends' coming out of the woodwork asking to 'borrow' my airstream.
If anyone has had this happen to them in the forum, what was your response?
Thanks, derek
no!!
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have not had anyone ask to borrow our rig. Our friends know this would be overstepping friendship. The answer would be "no" if they did. You'd be asking for trouble, and chances are your friendship would be ruined in the process.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
A loud and firm, NO!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
NO!
My insurance won't allow that!
You have to be kidding!
Say what!
No way!
Get out of here!
What did you say!
See ya later!
You must think I am crazy!
The door is that way!
#$@* NO!
&Ull NO!
Over your dead body!
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Of course you can borrow my Airstream! What time can your wife come by tonight?
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
When I got my horse trailer, I had the same thing. The cure was a bumper sticker that said, "Yes, this is my trailer, and no, you can't borrow it!".

Good luck!
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
Of course you can borrow my Airstream! What time can your wife come by tonight?
I love this response

The only one gauche enough to ask to borrow our Airstream was my hairdresser. Because of the type of relationship we have it was quite easy to say "You must be joking!" - Well perhaps those weren't the exact words... However, if you feel the need to be polite, I'd recommend saying something along the lines of it's far too personal an item to loan out or, it's too expensive to be someone else's idea of a cheap holiday.
Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have not been asked but I did borrow my friends when I was restoring mine and it wasn't going to be ready for a trip. But he was the o e that offered and we have been very good friends for 12 years and do a lot of camping together ( our kids are the same age). But there are only a few I would lend it to.
The rest would get a ( whaaaaaaat ).

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Hello to all Classic Airstream motorhome owners. I'm just over a week away from purchasing a long-time dream of mine. I will become the owner of a 1989 Airstream Classic 345.
But! Now it seems that I've got 'friends' coming out of the woodwork asking to 'borrow' my Airstream.
If anyone has had this happen to them in the Forum, what was your response?
Thanks, Derek
You could always go postal to that request, "are you out of your f$%&#%ng mind? Go find your own stream you g@d-dam son of a b!+ch."
quote/ GREENovaters/ 'Can I borrow your spouse?' is also a good response

Those aren't really your A.S friends anyway. Your real friends will be the competent mechanics and your brethren in here.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
NO gets my vote - anything else is just a waste of breath.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
SURE...if you'll pay for the taxes, insurance, upkeep, fuel, propane, license, my motel room, and an expense paid trip to Vegas or Laughlin...AND, the same for my home without wheels...
YOU went out and found it, YOU went out and bought it, and YOU are maintaining it...nope, I wouldn't classify these parasites as "friends"..."friends" wouldn't ask for more than a weekend trip with you, and they would have to be VERY good friends...in the case of a local tragedy, the basic needs would be a consideration, but in writing...I can remember the friends that appeared right after my first pick up purchse...seems the promises to repay, in kind, dissolved rather rapidly after offer # 1 was more than consummated... I always(ALWAYS) will take on a friend in need, and share more than I have...but length and depth and situations are variables best judged firsthand...
THE FLOOD"S A COMIN"...GET OUT!!!PULL IT, ANCHOR IT REAL WELL, OR FLOOD IT ON YOUR TERMS AND ANCHOR IT REAL WELL...Airstreaming has its own subculture for a reason...subculture issues...
YES, I have had a few people wanting to 'borrow' my moho, some even wanting to rent, and the rare person that has the dream of buying one(mine)...I try to temper my shotgun urge with the memories of a childhood dream having been realized, and recognizing that my realization is short in attainment for lots of folks who still have that urge...a guy today wanted to know how many AS mohos were out there...I told him 200-300...obviously off the cuff, but it sensed right...I'll start the thread...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
You could always go postal to that request, "are you out of your f$%&#%ng mind? Go find your own stream you g@d-dam son of a b!+ch."
quote/ GREENovaters/ 'Can I borrow your spouse?' is also a good response

Those aren't really your A.S friends anyway. Your real friends will be the competent mechanics and your brethren in here.

Funny you should mention the postal part GREEN, since I'm a City Letter Carrier for the USPS, lol
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh, one last response from me before going 'postal' for the day, mentioned the 'borrowing' part to my Mom last evening. This woman KNOWS what life has been for me looking for my dream Airstream, her response was $4000.00 a week! Think that would send most running for the hills???
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Sure

But you will need to spend a weekend staying in the camper first. You see, most campers have a rodent problems. Snakes seem to be the best solution. Once the snakes are comfortable with you, I would be more than happy to rent it to you. Most of the snakes are harmless. For security reasons, we hide the keys in the black tank, but usually they are easy to find. If you smell gas, give us a call, as we don't need another explosion. Would you mind washing the bedding first, one of the dogs seemed to have had an accident, if you know what I mean. You will need to stop every mile or so to check the lugs on the front wheels, as they have been falling off lately, maybe the threads are stripped. And contrary to what the wife says, it's not haunted, so don't worry, although supposedly, there has been a few deaths in the camper. Oh and don't forget to leave the keys to your house so that we can check on it while you are away. Is there any beer in your fridge? How many bedrooms in your house? We are planning a toga party that weekend.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
Love It!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
But you will need to spend a weekend staying in the camper first. You see, most campers have a rodent problems. Snakes seem to be the best solution. Once the snakes are comfortable with you, I would be more than happy to rent it to you. Most of the snakes are harmless. For security reasons, we hide the keys in the black tank, but usually they are easy to find. If you smell gas, give us a call, as we don't need another explosion. Would you mind washing the bedding first, one of the dogs seemed to have had an accident, if you know what I mean. You will need to stop every mile or so to check the lugs on the front wheels, as they have been falling off lately, maybe the threads are stripped. And contrary to what the wife says, it's not haunted, so don't worry, although supposedly, there has been a few deaths in the camper. Oh and don't forget to leave the keys to your house so that we can check on it while you are away. Is there any beer in your fridge? How many bedrooms in your house? We are planning a toga party that weekend.
By far, the best response......
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmclean View Post
By far, the best response......
I second that!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
As an old friend of mine says..
"@ss, Grass, or Gas... but nobody rides for free..."

Another GREAT way to put them off, would be.. "Well, I am going to polish it before I use it, so let me know when you have time to Donate a few weekend of hard labor to help."

Seriously tho, I have had people ask me to come along when we get traveling, and thats fine, but Borrow my 345... I dont think so.

I would say this...
"Well, its a 22 year old rig, and it has a few issues. When I have it done a few trips in it and am feeling a bit more confident, we can talk again... But if you do borrow it and it breaks, its only fair that you pay for the repairs."

I bet they wont ask again.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I HAVE TO VOTE NO! I recently had to say no to a neighbor who had a huge tree fall and punch holes in his roof. "I'm sorry,I cant. Its a very personal thing to ask to rent or borrow one's AIRSTREAM. I would ask your insurance company to rent you a trailer while you repair your house." He seemed to be ok with what I had to say. He still waves so I guess hes not mad at me for turning him down.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote