Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
Cockpit windows needed

Hello Everyone:

A vandal got off a shot with a bb gun through the passenger side fixed cockpit window of my 1988 325. Anyone have a lead for a replacement or source for a reproduction. I was thinking that a motorcycle windscreen manufacturer might be able to make a replacement.

This database is so large it's hard to search any old threads. Does anyone know if an old thread is out there for replacing theses windows?

Thanks for all the help,

Kevin

Kevin and Cara

God Bless America!
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Good luck finding one. Shepherd57 is also looking for the passenger fixed pane for his 85 325 after blowing it out on a railway crossing.

Glass and the mouldings around it are the hardest things to find on our MH's.

Goodluck
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Cockpit windows needed

It looks mostly flat, might have to go with. Lexan. Yea it sucks, and it won't look really right, but it will let you use your motorhome.

I don't know if these folks will help you, but it is something to think about.

http://proglasswindows.com

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Try here: http://www.airstreamsupply.com/Airst...Parts-C67.aspx
SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
It looks mostly flat, might have to go with. Lexan. Yea it sucks, and it won't look really right, but it will let you use your motorhome.

I don't know if these folks will help you, but it is something to think about.

Pro Glass Windows-Preformed Lexan® Polycarbonate Race Car Drag Racing Windows
I think it may be time for someone to find a supplier and have 20 made. I have found with my Dad's Studebaker friends that noneone will buy a reproduction "Just in case", they wait until the rain is coming in the broken window. So, anyone who contracts for them will be holding them awhile.

Kevin

Kevin and Cara

God Bless America!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
Thanks for the lead. They have a drivers side.

Kevin

Kevin and Cara

God Bless America!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Craigslist in northern Mississippi has had a complete 1973 Argosy motorhome for sale for almost a month at $1,800. I can't tell from the photos whether the window is good.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
Thanks for the lead. I used Search all of Craigslistâ„¢ nationwide & more - SearchTempest and had no luck finding it. That is a good idea.

Kevin

Kevin and Cara

God Bless America!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Could not post a ling from the ipad, here it is:

1973 Airstream Motorhome
Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
I have a friend in California with a really rare, and really expensive vintage Ferrari. I recall him talking about needing a new windshield, and having had a number of glass windshields custom made by a shop that specialized in producing glass for the prototype show cars of major manufacturers. I also recall that they were not cheap, but he lives in a completely different world from most of us.

Obviously the side window that we're talking about here is a heck of a lot smaller than a windshield, so maybe a small production run would be feasible. I'll see what I can find out.

Just curious. What would any of you be willing to pay for such a piece of glass if it was available from Airstream??? $200, $300, $400, $500???? More???
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1987 32.5' Airstream 325
dripping springs , Texas
Inland RV Center (inlandrv.com) shows to have the sliders, it may be worth a call to them to see if they can help.....
gaiaenviro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1987 32.5' Airstream 325
dripping springs , Texas
If you haven't found one yet, there is an argosy being parted out on craigslist in Sacramento. Not sure if they will work, but worth a try.....

1978 RV Airstream ARGOSSY PARTING OUT
Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
St Helens , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post

Just curious. What would any of you be willing to pay for such a piece of glass if it was available from Airstream??? $200, $300, $400, $500???? More???
Hello all!
I am looking for cockpit windows for the driver's side ( Both slider and fixed ). I have tried the Inland RV source, but they told me the website side windows they have listed online are actually windshields and its a misprint !!! Trailer supply has the driver's side but I am having trouble justifying the price for used windows ( not that it's unreasonable for what they are and I am glad they have them at all, just want to weigh my options ). @ Streamquest I would say $295 would be a reasonable price for a factory replacement cockpit glass panel from Airstream. It seems more and more, us vintage Airstream Motorhomers are finding ourselves in need of these windows. Lets face it, they will get shot out, busted out, or chipped with a matter of time. These motorhomes are not going to find themselves to the recyclers anytime soon. I know Airstream would have sold dozens of these windows by now if they still had them available.
The previous owner on our rig went the plastic route... Looks like poo! How can we band together and get a run of production glass for these iconic motorhomes? I'm down for a group effort!
tedly797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I would think that somebody knows somebody that may know somebody that could get a limited production run done on these windows. It seems that there are more and more posts requesting help locating these rascals and the well has run dry. Knock on wood, mine are intact but sooner or later.............. You would think that somebody with an even remote connection could start the ball rolling. I know nada about auto glass, dont even know where to start a querry. I wonder who the supplier was to Airstream? I guess that might be a place to start. Does anybody know someone at Airstream to whom that question could be posed? Grasping at straws here.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I did a Google search for "auto glass fabrication" and found this:

Classic Car and Custom Glass Fabrication

Their website says they will give a free quote.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
St Helens , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I would think that somebody knows somebody that may know somebody that could get a limited production run done on these windows. It seems that there are more and more posts requesting help locating these rascals and the well has run dry.
That dang Google, gotto love it!!

www.vintageglass.com

Found a company who specializes in vintage auto glass from 1910 to 1980. They boast they can make any tempered window for cars.... would they be willing to do the same for motorhomes? I threw in a request for a quote on the motorhome. Lets see what they come back with! Maybe they are willing to make a run for our motorhomes?!

I'll post what they come up with this week.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
St Helens , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
I did a Google search for "auto glass fabrication" and found this:

Classic Car and Custom Glass Fabrication

Their website says they will give a free quote.
This looks like a good possible lead too!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
St Helens , Oregon
***Update***

Got a return email already from the "Vintage Glass" people with a simple reply of "Curved or flat!?!". The way I see it, that's NOT a "NO Motorhomes"! So we will see how this progresses!

Cheers!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1987 32.5' Airstream 325
dripping springs , Texas
A few years ago I rebuilt a '60 cadillac, and we went pretty crazy with it. I'll call the guys that did a bunch of work and see if they can help, I'd bet they know where to get custom glass....
Old 06-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedly797 View Post
Hello all!
I am looking for cockpit windows for the driver's side ( Both slider and fixed ). I have tried the Inland RV source, but they told me the website side windows they have listed online are actually windshields and its a misprint !!! Trailer supply has the driver's side but I am having trouble justifying the price for used windows ( not that it's unreasonable for what they are and I am glad they have them at all, just want to weigh my options ). @ Streamquest I would say $295 would be a reasonable price for a factory replacement cockpit glass panel from Airstream. It seems more and more, us vintage Airstream Motorhomers are finding ourselves in need of these windows. Lets face it, they will get shot out, busted out, or chipped with a matter of time. These motorhomes are not going to find themselves to the recyclers anytime soon. I know Airstream would have sold dozens of these windows by now if they still had them available.
The previous owner on our rig went the plastic route... Looks like poo! How can we band together and get a run of production glass for these iconic motorhomes? I'm down for a group effort!
Unfortunately, you were given incorrect information by a new employee.

The driver and passenger slider windows are available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote