Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
Coach Batteries impact on engine?

Do the coach batteries have any impact on the performance of the engine. This year I went to get my 350LE out of storage to prepare it for Summer travels. At the storage facility I changed the oil and filter and placed a brand new engine battery in the compartment. When I eventually started the unit some strange things happened. 1) The windshield wipers ran even though the switch was in the "off" position. 2) The "Service Engine" light was lit. 3) When I drove it home [5 miles] the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear. I had the transmission rebuilt about six years ago at Aamco so I had it towed there. They said that the transmission is in the "failsafe" mode and that the GM dealer would have to look for an electrical or computer problem. I managed to get it three miles to a GM commercial truck service center although it stalled approximately 10 times. The GM dealer has had it for two days now and can't figure out what the problem is. The OBD-I port is not communicating. The only thing that I've done differently than in past years is I did not hook up the two cabin batteries. [I figured that I'd do that after I got home]. Is there any possibility that this could contribute to any of these problems? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I can't see where the coach batteries would make any difference in the problems you're experiencing. I'm betting you have a ground problem of some kind. Unfortunately grounding problems are probably the hardest there are to find.

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Good luck!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
The dealer has had it for 2 days, we are going to be guessing here for the most part. Having said that, I and others here do have some mechanical experience.
I would not look to the battery for the problem.
It sounds like a computer/wiring issue to me. Have you had any mouse or rat problems where they could chew wires?
Hopefully the dealer can figure it out soon, good luck.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Stories like this make me cringe!
I just put a new alternator into my 325. I'm under the impression that discharged coach batteries may have created too much of a charging load, causing it to fry.
Wish I had a suggestion. GOOD LUCK!
Please be sure to post the solution when you get it sorted out.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
Thanks for the responses. The MH is still in the GM service bay. They're feeling that it's computer related and have ordered a new one. I'll post the solution to the problem once it's resolved
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
I just put a new alternator into my 325. I'm under the impression that discharged coach batteries may have created too much of a charging load, causing it to fry.
Most likely this is correct.

On our 310 when we pull in for a short stop, like a fuel stop, when we start back up the alternator belt wants to squeal a little. I attribute this to the sudden need to charge the coach batteries because of the drain caused by the fridge, lights etc while stopped.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Do you have a slide out battery tray? If so, crawl under the tray while it is out and check the positive wires coming out from the batteries to the solenoids mounted on the frame behind the tray. One of our positive wires had a worn spot from years of in-out sliding. I'd also have the solenoids checked, and the cut-off switch board for the batteries(ours is mounted inside the door, on the wall, front side)...our cut-off switch fried, and consequently the jump-starting fried the solenoids(or vice-versa), and we had similar problems...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
The only thing that I've done differently than in past years is I did not hook up the two cabin batteries. [I figured that I'd do that after I got home]. Is there any possibility that this could contribute to any of these problems? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Did the coach batteries ever get connected? If this is the only difference, it would be the place to start.
I had an isolator between the alternator and start battery fail and coincedentally the computer for the the engine was fried at the same time. Only checked isolator after new computer was in and working, so can't say one caused other but maybe both happened from some other cause.
High demand to recharge house batteries changes amount alternator works sending electric to start battery, but it shouldn't increase voltage above limits of acceptability.
Please post what fixed the problem.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
Hi everyone. It did end up being a faulty ECM [Electronic Control Module]. Once that was replaced the engine and transmission returned to normal. Thanks for your posts!