Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #321
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Octane,

That is a beautiful E-type! I once had a silver roadster just like it.
No more elegant machine has ever been made.

Glad to see that you are also a fan of engine turning. Nice application.

As for the bikes, the Bimota is a 1991 Tesi 1d. Most interesting with the body work removed. Pretty crazy front end isn't it? Soon to be appearing "for sale" on ebay. Too much stuff!!

The black bike is a pure custom. It has a 2.4 litre motor made by a company called R&R Machine in New Hampshire. They machine the whole thing from billet, and their work is amazing. The engine looks like a giant piece of jewelry. It should put out around 150 HP which ought to move me down the road pretty nicely. Hope to have it running in the next month or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0017.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	851.8 KB
ID:	128009   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0002.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	864.2 KB
ID:	128010  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0019.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	864.5 KB
ID:	128011  
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #322
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
Masquerading???
I resemble that remark!

"EIGHT" wheeled???????

Um...???
O.K. Audi, You've got me questioning my sanity and basic math skills, BUT I still come up with EIGHT wheels on my moho.

2 in front, plus 4 on the drive axle, plus 2 on the tag. That makes EIGHT!!!

Whew, at least I feel a bit better about my math skills, not so sure about my sanity!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #323
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
+ steering wheel ...that makes NINE
Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #324
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
O.K. Audi, You've got me questioning my sanity and basic math skills, BUT I still come up with EIGHT wheels on my moho.

Whew, at least I feel a bit better about my math skills, not so sure about my sanity!!!
Ohhohhoh.....
I thought you were doing a trailer toy hauler - but you're putting them into your MOTORIZED Airstream...
Well - that was the only thing that I could make make sense - but seeing the ASTT and the - is it a Spartan? - I was wondering how a trailer would have 8... Maybe 2 dually axle conversions on the TT???
Now I see - but...
Where is the bedroom going to be? Or ... um... how are you going to do that?
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #325
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
+ steering wheel ...that makes NINE
And the spare... 10?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #326
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Then I better go to the AA meet tonight.

AA = ( Airstreamers Anonymous )
You know - I NEVER have seen any of these in Denmark - of for that matter, anywhere in Europe...

What are they called anyway?

"Luftstrøm"?

Luftå? A stream = en å

Men luft å translated back bliver til "Air Creek" - sååå....
Hmmm

And in German:
Lüften Sie Bach...
Næ... that would be "ventilate stream"...
Hmmm.

Or French:
"Aérer Ruisseau"
Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #327
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
(In the mean time, I've been quietly moving them around in the other two wheeled thing.)
So - which one is "the other two wheeled thing"???

And...

Where did you find an Airstream trailer with NO windows???
Old 04-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #328
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Airstream did what ever you wanted....
I dont remember if yours was a Funeral Coach, or a special order Streamquest?
Mine is a good example...
Note my drivers side has no window between the one over the front couch and the bathroom window.... cos I dont have a Dinette there like most of them!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #329
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Airstream did what ever you wanted....
I dont remember if yours was a Funeral Coach
Those coaches (we've only seen one) had a cool clamshell rear lid for the dear departed. The one we saw had a vanity plate that read, "lstride".
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #330
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
The moho was custom built by the factory back in 1990 for Jim McClure who was the Top Fuel bike champion at the time. He used it to haul his bike from race to race. I bought it from the third owner who was also a biker, and who raced with McClure. He told me that jaws dropped the first time they saw this big, shiny, new Airstream roll into the pits at a race. I guess it was quite a spectacle back then to a bunch of guys that carried their bikes around in old vans and open trailers.
The rig has a small kitchen sink cabinet and shower stall on the curb side, aft of the door, and a small fridge and enclosed sink/toilet opposite on the drivers side. The "bedroom" will be set up in an east/west position just forward of the "garage". The bed will be folded down from either side when needed, and stored up and out of the way otherwise, to allow passage from the salon to the "garage". I'm still trying to decide if I should cut some windows into the sleeping section, but I love those long uninterrupted aluminum sides. Maybe a skylight? The spare tire is carried underneath, just ahead of the fuel tank.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #331
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
The moho was custom built by the factory back in 1990 for Jim McClure
<snip, snip>
The rig has a small kitchen sink cabinet and shower stall on the curb side, aft of the door, and a small fridge and enclosed sink/toilet opposite on the drivers side. The "bedroom" will be set up in an east/west position just forward of the "garage". The bed will be folded down from either side when needed, and stored up and out of the way otherwise, to allow passage from the salon to the "garage".
Oh, geez! NOOOW I understand - the "'thing" with the ramp isn't, as I had thought, a trailer - it's a MoHo!!!.. WOW!!!

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide if I should cut some windows into the sleeping section, but I love those long uninterrupted aluminum sides. Maybe a skylight?
Noooo!
Definately don't cut in windows! That thing is SO awesome and unique! Leave it just the way it is!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #332
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
And by the way, I recall seeing an article somewhere by a fellow that made an INCREDIBLE car transporter from an old, thirty five foot long Spartanette trailer. This was definitely a big bucks project, executed with an open wallet, and featured lots of very cool details. The entire rear end folded up like a cargo plane, and individual articulated ramps deployed automatically. At the front of the trailer he had an air-conditioned lounge set up with period correct furnishings. I think he was from the Michigan area, and I believe I did see the thing for sale at some point. If anyone comes across it, it would be well worth posting.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #333
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
O.K. I did a quick search and found it!

I believe that there is a very lengthy and detailed chronology of the build, attached to this article. You won't believe what happens.

https://www.hagerty.com/lifestyle/ho....aspx?id=34594
Old 04-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #334
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
And by the way, I recall seeing an article somewhere by a fellow that made an INCREDIBLE car transporter from an old, thirty five foot long Spartanette trailer. This was definitely a big bucks project, executed with an open wallet, and featured lots of very cool details. The entire rear end folded up like a cargo plane, and individual articulated ramps deployed automatically. At the front of the trailer he had an air-conditioned lounge set up with period correct furnishings. I think he was from the Michigan area, and I believe I did see the thing for sale at some point. If anyone comes across it, it would be well worth posting.
Here it is - for sale - on Social Knowledge | Online Community Network. bringatrailer.com:
BaT Exclusive: 1951 Royal Spartanette Converted Hauler « BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

And here are the 727 pictures and story of the rebuild project:
barry2952's 1956 Lincoln Continental - Farmington Hills, MI Page 5

Oh - and since we're on the subject of re-builds, here is a 1959 Mercedes 190 converted into a station wagon. Found it on BaT (Bring a Trailer) with the link to the craigslist post:
1959 Mercedes 190D Wagon RARE!

Also on BaT, a 1971 Mercedes Benz 300TEL 6.3, or model # W109 for those who know Mercedes models well. It has been given a wagon conversion, and is powered by the M100 6.3L V8:
Superwagon: 1971 Mercedes Benz 300TEL 6.3 « BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

And finally for Octane, Keyair, and all you other crazed and deranged 2-wheel speed bullies (fartbøller...? Octane...?), here's a beauty!
Throttle Yard Weekend Round-Up « BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

Enjoy!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #335
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
Oh, geez! NOOOW I understand - the "'thing" with the ramp isn't, as I had thought, a trailer - it's a MoHo!!!.. WOW!!!

Noooo!
Definately don't cut in windows! That thing is SO awesome and unique! Leave it just the way it is!
Audi, thanks for the feedback on the window question. The last thing I need is to further expand my project list. Charly.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #336
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Having now realized that I'm in the midst of a bunch of like-minded, crazed bikers and car junkies masquerading as decent Airstreamers, I guess I can confess as well.

Eventually, I'll be able to secretly carry all of the two wheeled stuff around in the eight wheeled thing, without anyone knowing about it. (In the mean time, I've been quietly moving them around in the other two wheeled thing.) It'll be like bringing the Trojan horse into the Alumapalooza.
So streamquest, you are bringing your bikes to Alumapalooza? I posted on the Alumapalooza FaceBook page asking if anyone else was bringing their Harley or other bike to try and get a feel for how many bikers might be attending and the only response I got was "does a mountain bike count?" or something to that effect. I am planning on bringing mine. It might be nice to do a group ride if there are several people interested. I guess time will tell.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #337
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
So streamquest, you are bringing your bikes to Alumapalooza? I posted on the Alumapalooza FaceBook page asking if anyone else was bringing their Harley or other bike to try and get a feel for how many bikers might be attending and the only response I got was "does a mountain bike count?" or something to that effect. I am planning on bringing mine. It might be nice to do a group ride if there are several people interested. I guess time will tell.
Hi MEANlow,

Probably not this year. Too much work, too little play, and too much stuff to finish on the moho.
I wonder what a gallon of diesel will be going for by then?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #338
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Hi MEANlow,

Probably not this year. Too much work, too little play, and too much stuff to finish on the moho.
I wonder what a gallon of diesel will be going for by then?
They seem determined to take fuel prices to the limit, that's for sure. When everyone finally has to quit vacationing and people have to cut out their entertainment budgets because gas is so high nobody can afford to go anywhere but to work (at WalMart) then maybe they'll realize their greed isn't getting them anywhere.

I've considered buying a light open trailer or even one of those motorcycle dollies to try and save a little gas. I have never compared the mileage difference pulling my enclosed trailer to not towing at all but I can tell it's back there when it's loaded with heavy bikes, tools and gear so I know it has to hurt the mileage and it makes it run hotter too... I guess I need to check it then do the math to see if it's worth buying another trailer and worth having my bike exposed to the elements. I like having a portable garage to lock my bike up in wherever I go. It keeps prying eyes and sticky fingers off it as well.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #339
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Hey MEANlow,

I came across this photo quite a while ago while searching for something on line, and I've always been kind of inspired by it. There's something nostalgic about an old, grainy, faded photo. Ahhh, when life was simpler.

Sometime later, while trying to hunt down a moho part, I ended up in a conversation with an old timer at an Airstream shop in California. It turned out to be the same shop that had built this trailer back in the eighties. He told me that the owner had been his best customer, and used the trailer to haul his sand rail out to the dunes at Glamis. I recall him saying that it was totally stripped out, with only a very bare bones bath/shower set up at the front. Most of the windows were removed, and it had some sort of flip up or barn doors at the rear.

As much as I like my 325 cummins toy hauler, I've always thought that the ultimate Airstream set up would be to get a Classic 36 Cummins Pusher, add a Banks Power Pack for an extra 90 horsepower/200 pounds of torque, and then pull a similarly lightened 30 foot Airstream conversion trailer. My next, next project.

Does anyone know anything about how well those Classic 36 Pushers run?

And just in case I hit the lottery....

Take a look at this other rig.

2007 Prevost Marathon 1046
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #340
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
Hey MEANlow,

I came across this photo quite a while ago while searching for something on line, and I've always been kind of inspired by it. There's something nostalgic about an old, grainy, faded photo. Ahhh, when life was simpler.

Sometime later, while trying to hunt down a moho part, I ended up in a conversation with an old timer at an Airstream shop in California. It turned out to be the same shop that had built this trailer back in the eighties. He told me that the owner had been his best customer, and used the trailer to haul his sand rail out to the dunes at Glamis. I recall him saying that it was totally stripped out, with only a very bare bones bath/shower set up at the front. Most of the windows were removed, and it had some sort of flip up or barn doors at the rear.
HEEYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what I had in mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to have our 345 set up to pull a ASTT in the 31, 32, or 34 length, strip it out, cut off the rear dome, split it in half, and have it open as barn doors - and drive the Jeep Wrangler into it!!!!

And so many of you said it couldn't be done....

That picture makes me happy!

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome