Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #201
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
it sounds like your son might be up for the challenge. I may sound old fashioned, but this sort of undertaking is a true character, and confidence building experience, especially for someone young.

Ahhh, the Zen of polishing.
"Wipe on, wipe off..."
- Mr. Miyagi
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #202
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
"Wipe on, wipe off..."
- Mr. Miyagi
Hi Audi,

Congrats on the new rig.

The pressure washer will remove anything on top of the clear coat.

The Removall will remove the clear coat as well, and expose the raw aluminum to the weather.

The pressure washer will come in handy in either case.

You will get a big hit of instant gratification if you take it this far and get your first glimpse of fresh silver, but this decision will bring you to the point of no return. I don't know how long it actually takes for the bare skin to start to oxidize (probably has a lot to do with climate), but the decision to strip the clear coat is pretty much a decision to polish the whole thing, and it will be just a little bit more time consuming than Mr. Miyagi might lead you to believe.

It was my experience that any areas that showed deterioration of the original clear coat (which allowed the aluminum to oxidize underneath it) looked pretty much the same after I stripped the whole thing. The portions that have been successfully protected will be much brighter, but the failed areas will still appear kind of "milky". In fact, the oxidized areas will probably actually look worse by comparison to the freshly exposed aluminum. Just so you know what to expect.

God hates a coward, GOOD LUCK!
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #203
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
[/QUOTE]

Have you heard of the hall of mirrors at the fun fair?
Will I look thinner,fatter or the same once ours is polished ?
This is amazing..I cant stop looking at it ..
I have an urge to open the door and sling out the cheap plasticy black Office Chair in ours..I want new cosy swiverley Seats.. cant afford them yet but I want some right now..
Attached Images

TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Even I look good in that!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #205
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
[QUOTE=Keyair;964660]Even I look good in that! [QUOTE]

Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #206
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:

One may look thinner and a shade dirtier after doing all that buffing!

Here's my questions.

When the polishing done, what's the easiest, least time consuming, and least expensive way of maintaining the shine?

What would a coat of clear coat look on top of a mirror polish? Are there different types of clear coats? Is turtle wax an inside joke?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #207
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Liberator 1989 Airstream 345

Those polished units sure look interesting, but after doing a Feathercraft, I don't think I'll be doing that again.

Heres the way it started...

Has come along way since then...

Silly I know, just only photo of bar stool area clean...

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #208
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
I have an urge to open the door and sling out the cheap plasticy black Office Chair in ours..I want new cosy swiverley Seats.. cant afford them yet but I want some right now..[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I have to say that is only the second step in polishing. Still waiting to get her back. Still in shop. I bought new swivel seats. I was going to have the old recovered and was able to get new cheaper. My old one have already been taken apart or they would be yours. I will get a pic out soon. I am in my 86 32' AS trailer camping In GA Veterans star park to get away for a few days. Happy I didn't sell this one when I bought the motorhome. Haha. Internet service not to good. Will post pics soon.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #209
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
One may look thinner and a shade dirtier after doing all that buffing!

Here's my questions.

When the polishing done, what's the easiest, least time consuming, and least expensive way of maintaining the shine?

What would a coat of clear coat look on top of a mirror polish? Are there different types of clear coats? Is turtle wax an inside joke?
Buffing..Dirt..Polisher..RobinPilot {Melody Ranch] tattooed himself with his lost his balance..he was ok ..he's tough..
Spring here soon..we'll be starting..not exactly me..I mean them..I'll be watching and pointing and picking fault..they may tie me up..
for all the wrong reasons..or the right reasons depending on how you look at it
Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #210
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
[/QUOTE]
Ive seen that Rabbit before
Great ..It looks like your Easter Bunny..I like the way the hand is on the bar stool..so funny..and the feet ..hey the Jeans are a giveaway..real rabbits don't wear Jeans !!
Hx2 loves you Diner Style Interior ..
I'm looking at you stamping the stars..Id make a pigs ear of that..they'd be as wonky as hell..I would roll on the carpet tubes..kick the paint tin over..
thats the sort of thing that happens to me..

Thats reminded me of someone I know..
Into the 3rd night..no rest..His wife was exhausted..
He was left with the baby to get her to sleep..He turned on the hoover as the little one liked the noise..his wife went to bed and left him to it..
1 am..no sign of him..his wife went to check..
Baby was crawling around, He was fast asleep stretched out on the floor.. hoover was still on and had sucked a massive hole in the new carpet..
Next day..he couldnt stand the embarrassment of telling the insurance company the real truth.. he bought a rug to cover the hole..and a tin of paint..He emptied the paint over the carpet..rang the Insurance company and said he had an accident. Guess what ..he wasn't Insured boy that made me laugh so much..what a twerp ! Hans said can he swap models...not the motorhomes..the lady in the entrance !!
I like the camp site kills ..funny..
Cheerios..
Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #211
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
I have an urge to open the door and sling out the cheap plasticy black Office Chair in ours..I want new cosy swiverley Seats.. cant afford them yet but I want some right now..
Thank you. I have to say that is only the second step in polishing. Still waiting to get her back. Still in shop. I bought new swivel seats. I was going to have the old recovered and was able to get new cheaper. My old one have already been taken apart or they would be yours. I will get a pic out soon. I am in my 86 32' AS trailer camping In GA Veterans star park to get away for a few days. Happy I didn't sell this one when I bought the motorhome. Haha. Internet service not to good. Will post pics soon.[/QUOTE]

Dans away with his also ..hes sending snaps too..I keep looking ..no sign yet..Im patient..I can wait..ahh.seats..sigh..My Kingdom for some seats ..I watched Richard 111 last week..its gone to my head ..Talking about heads..I have a sleepy one..nighty nighty..
Old 03-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #212
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrumpet View Post
Thank you. I have to say that is only the second step in polishing. Still waiting to get her back. Still in shop. I bought new swivel seats. I was going to have the old recovered and was able to get new cheaper. My old one have already been taken apart or they would be yours. I will get a pic out soon. I am in my 86 32' AS trailer camping In GA Veterans star park to get away for a few days. Happy I didn't sell this one when I bought the motorhome. Haha. Internet service not to good. Will post pics soon.
Dans away with his also ..hes sending snaps too..I keep looking ..no sign yet..Im patient..I can wait..ahh.seats..sigh..My Kingdom for some seats ..I watched Richard 111 last week..its gone to my head ..Talking about heads..I have a sleepy one..nighty nighty..
[/QUOTE]

Dans posted his snaps on the TinCrumpet Vacations Thread..have a peep..
Im dashing around ready to collect ours from the North.. Its worth a look..theres Punk [not Pink] Flamingoes!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #213
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard

how about an update on this project Lynn
Well I got her back! I pulled up to the rv shop saw her sitting there she looked so beautiful. Runs great, stops great, drives great. The new rear airbags seem great. The new bell cranks allows me to drive it one hand going 65. ( don't worry will not make it a habit) it does track so good down the road with new airbags and bell cranks. At one point I looked down I was going over 70. Never did that before, I was happy to get it up to 60. The first thing I did tonight when I get her back to my work was install all the new captan chairs, and new swivel ones I got from Discount rv. Here are some more pics. I take it tomorrow to upholster shop in morning to get the sofa done to match the dinette and swivel chairs. Oh a few before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2707420343.png
Views:	196
Size:	755.7 KB
ID:	125069   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1054198941.png
Views:	172
Size:	788.7 KB
ID:	125070  

Name:	image-4079074799.png
Views:	161
Size:	804.1 KB
ID:	125071   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1310387170.png
Views:	183
Size:	762.6 KB
ID:	125073  

Name:	image-3957882976.png
Views:	167
Size:	694.0 KB
ID:	125075  
Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Looks great.

Thank You for sharing.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Your coach is looking great. How do the new chairs feel? I ordered new captains chairs for my 280 from Discount and hope they feel as good as they sound. Which chairs did you get? We ordered the De Leon with the high resilience foam, heaters, lumbar support and adjustable arms.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #216
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Your coach is looking great. How do the new chairs feel? I ordered new captains chairs for my 280 from Discount and hope they feel as good as they sound. Which chairs did you get? We ordered the De Leon with the high resilience foam, heaters, lumbar support and adjustable arms.

Cheers, Dan
Dan, were they Marine colored ?

when my new captains came from discount last week, we ordered ( Almond ).
and we received two dark blue, looks like, ( Marine ), color on their chart.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #217
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Captains RV Seats

What was their excuse for the wrong color John? Did you ship them back or did they make a deal with you.
I was going to order a lounge recliner from them but, hearing your story has me a bit hesitant??? Is this the correct site? Disountvantruck

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post

Wow, they kind of missed on that color. I'm color blind and I think I could tell the difference between almond and dark blue. Have you sat in them and how do they look and feel?

We ordered bisque but they aren't scheduled to arrive until April 6. Did yours arrive on or near the promised date?

I hope they resolve your color problem satisfactory and that our seats look and feel as good as they make them sound.

Yes Dave, that is the site.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #219
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
Well I got her back! I pulled up to the rv shop saw her sitting there she looked so beautiful. Runs great, stops great, drives great. The new rear airbags seem great. The new bell cranks allows me to drive it one hand going 65. ( don't worry will not make it a habit) it does track so good down the road with new airbags and bell cranks. At one point I looked down I was going over 70. Never did that before, I was happy to get it up to 60. The first thing I did tonight when I get her back to my work was install all the new captan chairs, and new swivel ones I got from Discount rv. Here are some more pics. I take it tomorrow to upholster shop in morning to get the sofa done to match the dinette and swivel chairs. Oh a few before and after pics.
COZEEEE...
Even your old swivverleys are better than our tripe ..if you had that job done in the UK..well..you probably wouldn't.. it would cost an arm and a leg..and a foot..I'm on the laptop a lot so I would need something to rest it on..if anyones got any snaps of table with swivverely ideas.. id be grateful..
Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #220
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Mine are all very comfy. Love them. I did have to remove the tracks that slide forward and back. Don't remember the color. I will find out.

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome