Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #379
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
Hope the soil drys and some corn and soybeans can be planted.
Soya ..I drink gallons of it ..and pour pints on my corn flakes..
Harvey Kellog was a Vegetarian by the way.. so there's hope for me yet
From the Batty English Bird

Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #380
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Well Tin, right now there is little if any Corn or soybeans Planted at all. Last year Most were 50 to 100% done.

Winter Wheat and alfalfa is the Only thing with a harvest potential as of today across the Corn Belt.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #381
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
[QUOTE=Keyair;988460]Thanks for the input Peeps!
I know I feel like I am the "New Kid on the Block" here... funny feeling at nearly 50!

QUOTE]

You should change your avatar to NKOTB.. Nerkotub..
Nearly 50 ? ..More like Young Kid on the Block YKOTB..Yerkotub..
I'm going to my Mothers Brothers house in Cheshire this weekend with Hx2
to buy a Apple Laptop and download skype etc.and show him the ropes
Want to take the Airstream..cost of fuel prohibits it..so I have to hammer there and back in one day which is a nuisance in itself
He wants to pay for us to take it but that's just not cricket.
I think the USA are at the cost of fuel we were enjoying years ago
yours is still relatively cheap to us ..they're skinning us over here
I was surprised when we returned from the States.. how little the fuel cost compared to the miles we covered..In England its probably cheaper to stay in a posh hotel..but I still prefer the Airstream..
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #382
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
Well Tin, right now there is little if any Corn or soybeans Planted at all. Last year Most were 50 to 100% done.

Winter Wheat and alfalfa is the Only thing with a harvest potential as of today across the Corn Belt.
Alfalfa..I can never say that.. alflalflaffa..alfalfla..always comes out wrong..I had my own Mini Harvest in the Airing Cupboard..Off on holiday for 2 weeks....it went bonkers..Jack with his Beanstalk was pale in comparison..I'm not sure what corn is ??
we have sweetcorns..or..in other words..corn on the cob..
do you mean that ? Or is your corn..wheat ?? ..you know for flour..for beard making..I buy spelt, sacks of it.. from My friend who is the Miller at the Windmill
Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #383
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrumpet View Post
Alfalfa..I can never say that.. alflalflaffa..alfalfla..always comes out wrong..I had my own Mini Harvest in the Airing Cupboard..Off on holiday for 2 weeks....it went bonkers..Jack with his Beanstalk was pale in comparison..I'm not sure what corn is ??

we have sweetcorns..or..in other words..corn on the cob..

do you mean that ? Or is your corn..wheat ?? ..you know for flour..for beard making..I buy spelt, sacks of it.. from My friend who is the Miller at the Windmill
Beard Making ??? I mean Bread making
Old 05-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #384
3 Rivet Member

I started tinting my Airstream yesterday. Man there are a lot of windows! I debated long and hard on whether I wanted to tint them or not but the warmer gets the easier the decision got. I like to keep my motorhome as original as possible but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. This is my full time home and personal comfort outweighed desire for originality. I got a 100' roll of 30" Llumar ATC 15CH HPR tint (15% light transmission). The Airstream had a light tint from the factory so it's now blacked out like a limo. I was going to just cover my windows with that aluminum foil bubble wrap insulation and did for a while, it worked great but the view sucked and my phone wouldn't pick up indoors with it. I also got a windshield sunscreen from PromptRV Sunscreens Monday. With it and the tint I should stay cool and I be able see out and have privacy all while talking on the phone in air conditioned comfort! Win, win, win, win! I decided to tint the front fixed glass only half way down to make seeing through the the rear view mirrors easier at night. It's hard enough to back this thing without doing stuff to make it harder! Well, enjoy the pictures, me and the dogs will enjoy our tinted windows So far I've tinted the cab area, the living room and galley,dinette windows. I am working my way back, looking forward to forming the tint on the rear panoramic corner glass! I did this professionally for a couple of years in the mid nineties but like welding and so many other things if you don't do it for a while you get rusty. That's why I chose to save the best for last...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0507111751.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	129315   Click image for larger version

Name:	0507111751a.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	129316  

Name:	100_6325.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	129320   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6399.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	129321  

Name:	100_6400.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	129322  
Old 05-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #385
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Looks great Meanlow!
The only thing missing is a well written DIY with Hint tips and tricks!
Hint Hint...
Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #386
3 Rivet Member

Well, there are plenty of how to guides and videos online, better than anything I can do here such as...

Free Window Tint Installation Videos

and there is this thread on this site I found through a Google search just before I started my tint job that made it like 100 times easier, it tells how to remove the screens from the sliding windows easily:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156...nels-9857.html

as far as tips and tricks first you'll want to start with a quality tint, Llumar is my brand of choice, Cortauld's also makes a quality product. If it can be bought at Wal-Mart or Pep Boys it's not quality tint, I don't care what the box says. True professional grade tint is about twice as thick as any of that stuff and is generally not available to the public but check eBay, that is where I buy mine. Also reflective tints look nice but can block radio waves so you might want to avoid those depending on the electronics you use in your MoHo...

When tinting windows cleanliness is next to Godliness. Any spec of dust will show through in your tint job. I start by cleaning with a good glass cleaner and paper towels, then wet the window with soapy water and scrape the entire window with a single edge razor blade paying extra attention around the edges. Then glass cleaner and paper towels again to get up any giblets scraped off by the razor. After this point I move on to more soapy water followed by squeegeeing the window (no paper towels touch the glass from here on out because they leave lint behind!), wiping the squeegee after each pass, then repeat and repeat and repeat again until the glass feels and looks spotless. Even then it won't be perfectly clean on a vehicle this old and there will inevitably be some trash left no matter how hard you try. You want as little as possible though.

After tinting many, many cars and always cutting the tint on the outside, I, for some reason found it easier to cut this tint on the inside and that's what I did. Careful cutting with a sharp razor is the next important step. I stick the tint directly to the glass with more soapy water, clear side facing the glass if you are cutting it on the inside, squeegee it down and simply trim around the edges using the squeegee to push it tight against the edge where you are cutting. Then once it's cut I always squeegee the window at least two more times peel the clear off the film and soak the glued side of the tint and the glass with soapy water and put a little soapy water on the front side to help the squeegee slide and squeegee the air and water out from under it. You'll want towels spread out to soak up all this water you've been spraying, otherwise your wood trim will be soaked!

You'll probably have to do some minor trimming again as you apply the tint. As for forming the tint on the rear panoramic windows watch the video in the above link, I did for a refresher, like I said, it's been a while and I was rusty, it explains it exactly the way I was trained and explains it (and shows it) far better than I could here. Heat forming tint is the fun part because just one moment of too much heat and you ruin the piece of tint. You want to heat it just until you start to see it change, it will start to shrivel, then remove the heat and squeegee it flat, that's the only thing I don't think they covered in the video. These tips and watching the videos should get anyone with some patience and some extra tint on their way to a nice tint job.

I said in my previous post that I hated to tint my windows because I like to keep my coach original but now that I think about it the tint will help me keep it original longer by keeping the sun from baking the interior...
Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #387
3 Rivet Member

Oh yeah, I also like to use a white scuff pad all over the glass with window cleaner on dirty windows like the Airstream had paying extra attention to all the edges, that's actually my first step in cleaning, then glass cleaner and paper towels, soapy water and razor and so on and so forth...
Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #388
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Thanks for all the tips on tinting.
Are all Llumar heat shrinkable?
I have used the high quality from the stores you speak of with disater included with the discount price.
Sometimes that drivers side gets really hot driving with the sun coming in.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #389
3 Rivet Member

As far as I know all Llumar tints are shrinkable. One more thing on shrinking tint. It only shrinks one way, it bends either way so when you unroll it consider the factory cut edges as the top and bottom, when laid on a compound curved glass you'll have wrinkles in the tint called fingers running up and down that you will be shrinking. You have to do all your shrinking towards the top and bottom of the roll or it will crease. Creases are bad. You can always tint compound curved glass in strips but I always hated that look and haven't done it since my high school days. I don't think anyone was forming tint back then though. Now almost all pro shops tint compound curved glass in one piece by heat shrinking the tint. I don't think the Airstream corner glass will really be that bad. It curves a lot one direction but isn't really that much of a compound curve, I'll find out by the end of the week though. Right now my back is giving me a fit and I'm in a holding pattern. I'm riveted to the couch once again...
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #390
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I have had good luck with "ALEVE" on my back. It works when IBPofin dosen't. Worth a try?
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
Right now my back is giving me a fit and I'm in a holding pattern. I'm riveted to the couch once again...
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #391
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the concern, I use it on rainy days for my rheumatoid arthritis, 2 Aleve and the achy joints ease off. I have chronic pain from a broken back and nerve damage done during surgery that only morphine or Oxycontin along with ten oxycodone HCLs a day will touch. Then I'm only good as long as I do nothing and don't lay wrong at night. It's my cross to bear though and I can only sit stationary for so long before I have to find something to do besides watch TV even if it's just walking the dogs.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #392
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Alpharetta , Georgia
1600 lb toy

Dan,

Sorry for the slow response.

This is what I tow that weighs 1600 lbs.

It is a Brunton SuperStalker with motivation from a Supercharged 3800 V6 from a late model Impala SS.

There are more pictures and some video's at Paul and Jeremy's Super Stalker

While I do put it on the track at times, it is primarily a street car and I have put 30K miles on it with most of those miles in the mountains north of Atlanta.

These pictures are from when it was first built. I wish it was still this pretty, but everytime I have to choose between washing it and driving it, the washing gets delayed.

Here is a more recent picture:

Paul

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome