Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #351
Rivet Master
 
streamquest's Avatar

 
1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
Please nobody take this as an argument against strengthening their hitch it totally isn't and the hitch is totally rated for 2000 lbs. When I bought my 345 I knew the previous owner and one of the first things I noticed was the 2000lb tow limit in the owner's manual so I thought he must have upgraded the hitch. Then I started looking at threads on upgraded hitches and noticed mine looked just like all the before pictures, not anything like the afters. The thing is I know he use to pull a Saturn on a tow dolly with it all the time and when he took his family out West he pulled an early nineties Jeep Grand Cherokee on that same tow dolly to California and back to NC! I don't know how he got away with it for all those years but nothing even appears to be bent or warped! Again, I'm not suggesting anyone try this, a lot of people get hurt due to things like this every year and I'm sure he just didn't know better, after all he owned the most trusted machine shop on the East Coast. He could have built any hitch he wanted if he knew he was doing anything wrong.

streamquest, I had to get up and get up close to my computer screen to look at that pic but it's very cool! I would love to see my Airstream & V-nose trailer in a wind tunnel to see how the air flows over the trailer, every time I tow it I can't help but think it's killing the whole Airstream's aerodynamics! At least it is a V-nose. Sure would be nice to have my motorcycle hauler aerodynamic like the Airstream though...
Hi MEANlow,

Among the crazy things that I have considered getting involved with (and I do find myself looking at a lot of crazy things) was a Prevost H3-60 bus. If you're not familiar with that model, check it out. (As a participant of THIS thread, you are already pre-qualified as some sort of a crazy.) In any case, it is basically a 60' long articulated bus.

While looking at it, I did a little reading about "long vehicle" aerodynamics.

Although the continuity of the sides and roof surfaces is quite important in reducing drag, what really stuck with me was the importance of bringing that disrupted airflow "back together" at the rear of the bus, or truck, or whatever it is, that is being forced through the wind. The styling of streamlined vehicles from the Art Deco and Machine Age periods displays a better understanding of this than what you see in most present day vehicles. Obviously, things today are built to the maximum permitted height/width/length in order to maximize volume at the expense of aerodynamics. I wouldn't be surprised to see that change as the price of fuel continues to rise.

So now to the point. Since you are towing a V-nose trailer behind a moho that presents a bigger frontal area to the wind than the trailer itself (as opposed to say a car), I wonder if your rig wouldn't do better in the wind tunnel if you hooked up your trailer backwards? Just a CRAZY thought!!

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!
__________________

__________________
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #352
4 Rivet Member
 
audiv8q's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 259
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
Nobody did confuse your statement as an argument against strengthening an Airstream hitch(at least I sure didn't). I just didn't want anyone to confuse my statement as an argument against strengthening an Airstream hitch. I was just wanting to say I was surprised my hitch had never been strengthened yet survived being grossly overloaded for thousands of miles of cross country towing from sea to shining sea but in saying that I was afraid someone would think I was making the argument that hitch strengthening wasn't necessary and that is the last thing I wanted to do. Make more sense now? I was just making conversation, not correcting or arguing with anyone.
Ooohhoho...
You didn't want anyone to think that just because YOUR PO did it, anyone can safely do it...
Yeah - now it all makes sense to me. Sorry for my confusion, and yeah - I see it now:
"I don't want anyone to confuse this" - meaning "the following" - " as an argument against (dot, dot, dot)"
Thanks for clearing that up.
As some of you know - although I appear to have total command of the English language - I grew up in Denmark, and learned English from my Father who was American, and my Mother was Danish.
We (my brother and I) always spoke Danish to my Mom and English to my Dad - but still to this day, after growing up bi-lingual, and having lived in the US for 22 years since 1989, I sometimes speak with "reverse syntax", or don't fully understand the fluctuation of voice, or some forms of communicating, such as "indirect communication" - just certain things make me stumble, sometimes, and apparently this one was one of them.
So - thanks for clearing that up. Sorry that I may have cause confusion.

All that being as it is - I totally concur, based on what I have learned nere: If you are going to tow anything more than a bicycle trailer - UPGRADE THE HITCH!!!

- and now to something completely different!
__________________

__________________
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #353
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
Ooohhoho...
You didn't want anyone to think that just because YOUR PO did it, anyone can safely do it...
Yeah - now it all makes sense to me. Sorry for my confusion, and yeah - I see it now:
"I don't want anyone to confuse this" - meaning "the following" - " as an argument against (dot, dot, dot)"
Thanks for clearing that up.
As some of you know - although I appear to have total command of the English language - I grew up in Denmark, and learned English from my Father who was American, and my Mother was Danish.
We (my brother and I) always spoke Danish to my Mom and English to my Dad - but still to this day, after growing up bi-lingual, and having lived in the US for 22 years since 1989, I sometimes speak with "reverse syntax", or don't fully understand the fluctuation of voice, or some forms of communicating, such as "indirect communication" - just certain things make me stumble, sometimes, and apparently this one was one of them.
So - thanks for clearing that up. Sorry that I may have cause confusion.

All that being as it is - I totally concur, based on what I have learned nere: If you are going to tow anything more than a bicycle trailer - UPGRADE THE HITCH!!!

- and now to something completely different!
Just thinking about these hitches I wonder if the weakness may be in tongue weight capacity. Towing a car on the ground or on a dolly doesn't put a lot of weight on the tongue just the push/pull effort. Putting a trailer with a few hundred pounds of leveraged weight on the hitch is a different story. In one of the pictures it looks like the distortion of the cross member is from weight twisting the hitch down rather than accelerating or stopping. Again I'm not making any claims just thinking out loud.

Cheers, Dan
__________________
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #354
Rivet Master
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,101
I have already lost a tow car to a 'superior' braking system...I can tell you that a reinforced hitch is a piece of mind you ought to carry with you,,,how many toads fall under that limit...??? My rig is about 17K lbs loaded, and a flat tow(currently a '95 Nissan Maxima) is about 3800 lbs when loaded) adds up to a lot of weight...the new reinforcement allows for 75-10 K towing...the 454 doesn't much like it on inclines. and the brakes don't much like it on the downhill side(tranny included), but I'm working on it...the best toad I have had was a '96 Geo Tracker...a two people/one dog vehicle, but a sure toad---4WD, Automatic, and like most things I relate to(except my wife), cosmetically challenged...but functional. We use a Roadmaster tow system, which applies pull weight, but no hitch weight...I believe that Blue Ox also has a similar hook-up. The tranny, going down hill, will jump to 2nd gear voluntarily at about 3300rpm, and that's a pucker factor on 7% grades if you aren't aware it's gonna happen...the 15-20 mph climb speed is one of those things in which patience has a virtue...still, wouldn't trade it for the world...ok, ok,...MAYBE...m
__________________
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
CHARTER MEMBERS: FOUR CORNERS UNIT, AND PROUD OF IT!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #355
4 Rivet Member
 
audiv8q's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 259
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post

<creative snipping>
the 454 doesn't much like it on inclines. and the brakes don't much like it on the downhill side(tranny included)

<more cutting>

The tranny, going down hill, will jump to 2nd gear voluntarily at about 3300rpm, and that's a pucker factor on 7% grades if you aren't aware it's gonna happen...

<and the kicker...:>

the 15-20 mph climb speed is one of those things in which patience has a virtue...still, wouldn't trade it for the world...ok, ok,...MAYBE...m
OUCH!

Makes me wonder how my 360 - or - 318 - not sure which - on our 1978 Dodge Sportsman, 21' Class-C Mobile Traveler will fare, with the added (in addition to the original tank) 80gal water tank (hooked up in tandem with the original 10 gal), the added 5,500Watt Onan on the rear shelf, the added spare fuel, water, and propane tanks - and ...
and...
and...
(sigh)
towing the 3,800Lb Jeep Wrangler...
(gulp)
on a straight tow-bar with no dinghy brake system - just the steel and a flat-4 wire and the chains between the MoHo and the Jeep...

I'm starting to get a bit concerned...
__________________
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #356
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Hi MEANlow,

Among the crazy things that I have considered getting involved with (and I do find myself looking at a lot of crazy things) was a Prevost H3-60 bus. If you're not familiar with that model, check it out. (As a participant of THIS thread, you are already pre-qualified as some sort of a crazy.) In any case, it is basically a 60' long articulated bus.

While looking at it, I did a little reading about "long vehicle" aerodynamics.

Although the continuity of the sides and roof surfaces is quite important in reducing drag, what really stuck with me was the importance of bringing that disrupted airflow "back together" at the rear of the bus, or truck, or whatever it is, that is being forced through the wind. The styling of streamlined vehicles from the Art Deco and Machine Age periods displays a better understanding of this than what you see in most present day vehicles. Obviously, things today are built to the maximum permitted height/width/length in order to maximize volume at the expense of aerodynamics. I wouldn't be surprised to see that change as the price of fuel continues to rise.

So now to the point. Since you are towing a V-nose trailer behind a moho that presents a bigger frontal area to the wind than the trailer itself (as opposed to say a car), I wonder if your rig wouldn't do better in the wind tunnel if you hooked up your trailer backwards? Just a CRAZY thought!!

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!
It would probably do better! I dunno if the V-nose helps much behind the Airstream, didn't feel like it helped behind the pick-up. My father insisted we could tow it home 100 miles from the foothills of NC with his '93 Nissan, I was going to borrow my cousin's truck... The Nissan burned a whole tank of gas on the way back and I was sure the auto trans was going to burn up too, the trailer was light and empty but pushing a bunch of air. I have a little S10, I knew I didn't wanna try with that but he thought the Nissan was up to the challenge. In the end I guess it was but boy oh boy I just knew that trailer would kill his tranny! He finally admitted that maybe that wasn't a great idea a few days later
__________________
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #357
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
Ooohhoho...
You didn't want anyone to think that just because YOUR PO did it, anyone can safely do it...
Yeah - now it all makes sense to me. Sorry for my confusion, and yeah - I see it now:
"I don't want anyone to confuse this" - meaning "the following" - " as an argument against (dot, dot, dot)"
Thanks for clearing that up.
As some of you know - although I appear to have total command of the English language - I grew up in Denmark, and learned English from my Father who was American, and my Mother was Danish.
We (my brother and I) always spoke Danish to my Mom and English to my Dad - but still to this day, after growing up bi-lingual, and having lived in the US for 22 years since 1989, I sometimes speak with "reverse syntax", or don't fully understand the fluctuation of voice, or some forms of communicating, such as "indirect communication" - just certain things make me stumble, sometimes, and apparently this one was one of them.
So - thanks for clearing that up. Sorry that I may have cause confusion.

All that being as it is - I totally concur, based on what I have learned nere: If you are going to tow anything more than a bicycle trailer - UPGRADE THE HITCH!!!

- and now to something completely different!
See there, I have been speaking English my whole life and I'm the only one confusing people on here, the word "but" would have made the world of difference in my statement. I realized that after I posted it "but" I didn't think about it making you think I thought you were arguing against hitch strengthening It's all good in the hood though, no worries here, if you are going to tow strengthen your hitch!!!

My same boss had a GMC dually with a billet aluminum draw bar in the hitch, the shop's delivery boy was pulling a dual axle flat bed trailer up I-40 loaded with a multi-million dollar, freshly completed, fully automated CNC machine for installing computer chips onto circuit boards for the then Tyco AAMP Corporation. We had spent months machining all the parts, AAMP had employees whose full-time job was working in our shop wiring these machines and programming the computer controlled aspects, we had countless hours in machining the parts, assembling the machine, testing, fixing and testing and testing again until everything worked perfectly. He was delivering the machine to the manufacturing plant when the draw bar snapped. The trailer crossed the median hitting a car head on. The car flipped but luckily there wasn't a huge pile up and there were no serious injuries. Didn't stop the injured person from suing the company though and the machine and trailer were both total losses. Bad things can happen in the blink of an eye and without warning. As bad as that was it could have been much worse. That poor delivery boy ended up in court in the law suit too. He was a wreck. Nobody ever talked about how the case ended, I'm sure it was expensive for my boss though.
__________________
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #358
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,944
Images: 1
To pull a Toad legally and safely, I need:
Good quality Tow bar.... $500
Base Plate..... $500
Brake Buddy, or similar supplemental braking system... $1200
Lighting kit or mods to the Toad... $?

My planned trips are varied, and want th option of taking my 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9LTD, which is "about 5000lb" and my 1984 Mercedes Diesel much lighter, or whatever I want.

The more I read, and the more I see, the more I am sure I am just gonna get a double axle 7500lb or 10,000lb rated Flatbed.
I have looked at good ones for under $2000 used, with good brakes, and all the goodies.
Unless I am missing something here it makes far more sense.....
Input?
__________________
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #359
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,274
Images: 55
The big problem with the car trailer is what do you do with it when you get to the destination. You will need a trailer hitch on the loaded vehicle to move the trailer to storage at most cg's. To big to handle manually for any distance.
Dave

The more I read, and the more I see, the more I am sure I am just gonna get a double axle 7500lb or 10,000lb rated Flatbed.
I have looked at good ones for under $2000 used, with good brakes, and all the goodies.
Unless I am missing something here it makes far more sense.....
Input?[/QUOTE]
__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #360
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
The big problem with the car trailer is what do you do with it when you get to the destination.
[/QUOTE]

That's the big thing. If you only camp in large resorts with long pull through sites it's not an issue but that's not as easy as you think. I have this same problem with my motorcycle trailer and it's just 6X12 Most camp grounds will provide you with a place to park it but it's a hassle. I love pull through sites! Then there is the added weight of pulling a trailer vs. using a tow bar. My 454 loves gas and the harder it works naturally the more it drinks... In the end there are pros and cons to any style of towing, you're the only one who can make the decision for you but getting as much info as possible from others will help in that decision.
__________________
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #361
2 Rivet Member
 
pwhittle's Avatar
 
1982 31' Airstream310
Alpharetta , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 95
I tow a 1600lb car. I used to have a heavy enclosed trailer which probably weighed 2000-2500lbs by itself. It was tough to tow and I used to get 5-6mpg. I also detected a little flex in the rear frame.

I sold it and build a lightweight open trailer that weighs 600lbs. It is a single axle with a tilt bed so there are no ramps to worry about. It is easily pushed around by hand once unhooked to the point where I never bothered fitting the backup camera my girlfriend bought me.

My mileage went to 7.5-8MPG towing.

I couldn't be happier with it.

Paul
__________________
1982 FFC with Motorhome Interior
http://shineee.whittlegroup.com
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #362
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
I tow a 1600lb car. I used to have a heavy enclosed trailer which probably weighed 2000-2500lbs by itself. It was tough to tow and I used to get 5-6mpg. I also detected a little flex in the rear frame.

I sold it and build a lightweight open trailer that weighs 600lbs. It is a single axle with a tilt bed so there are no ramps to worry about. It is easily pushed around by hand once unhooked to the point where I never bothered fitting the backup camera my girlfriend bought me.

My mileage went to 7.5-8MPG towing.

I couldn't be happier with it.

Paul
I have to ask what are you towing that weighs 1600lbs?

Cheers, Dan
__________________
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #363
Liberator
 
klattu's Avatar
 
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,646
Images: 834
Classic Motorhome Picture thread! ????
__________________
Your opinion is valued, please not your opinion of someones else's opinion.
Click To See Me Wet
1989 Airstream 345 Liberator...
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #364
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,944
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Classic Motorhome Picture thread! ????

Mmmm, what are we to do!
I started the thread, and my original idea was to have a reference library of pictures of Classic Motorhomes....
Now, we all added pics of our other toys, and thats fun too!
If you notice, I started that thread "What did you buy for your Motor Home today" to keep what we bought and discussion of the stuff seperated, and that is fun too!

Now, do we stick to the original thought and ridgedly only have Classic Motor Home Pics...
Or is it a Thread in the Classic Motor Home thread where we post pics of anything fun, or Scenery?
I think there is and will always be cross overs, but what does everyone else think?
__________________

__________________
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic Motorhome Tires gunner Classic Motorhomes 68 06-03-2010 02:48 AM
What length Classic Motorhome do you own? ALANSD Classic Motorhomes 58 02-14-2009 05:12 PM
Classic Motorhome Tires gunner Classic Motorhomes 12 10-08-2007 05:17 PM
Classic Airstream Motorhome Picture Archive RichardT Airstream Motorhome Forums 0 11-09-2003 07:36 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.