Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #337
Rivet Master
 
streamquest's Avatar

 
1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
So streamquest, you are bringing your bikes to Alumapalooza? I posted on the Alumapalooza FaceBook page asking if anyone else was bringing their Harley or other bike to try and get a feel for how many bikers might be attending and the only response I got was "does a mountain bike count?" or something to that effect. I am planning on bringing mine. It might be nice to do a group ride if there are several people interested. I guess time will tell.
Hi MEANlow,

Probably not this year. Too much work, too little play, and too much stuff to finish on the moho.
I wonder what a gallon of diesel will be going for by then?
__________________

__________________
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #338
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Hi MEANlow,

Probably not this year. Too much work, too little play, and too much stuff to finish on the moho.
I wonder what a gallon of diesel will be going for by then?
They seem determined to take fuel prices to the limit, that's for sure. When everyone finally has to quit vacationing and people have to cut out their entertainment budgets because gas is so high nobody can afford to go anywhere but to work (at WalMart) then maybe they'll realize their greed isn't getting them anywhere.

I've considered buying a light open trailer or even one of those motorcycle dollies to try and save a little gas. I have never compared the mileage difference pulling my enclosed trailer to not towing at all but I can tell it's back there when it's loaded with heavy bikes, tools and gear so I know it has to hurt the mileage and it makes it run hotter too... I guess I need to check it then do the math to see if it's worth buying another trailer and worth having my bike exposed to the elements. I like having a portable garage to lock my bike up in wherever I go. It keeps prying eyes and sticky fingers off it as well.
__________________

__________________
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #339
Rivet Master
 
streamquest's Avatar

 
1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 729
Hey MEANlow,

I came across this photo quite a while ago while searching for something on line, and I've always been kind of inspired by it. There's something nostalgic about an old, grainy, faded photo. Ahhh, when life was simpler.

Sometime later, while trying to hunt down a moho part, I ended up in a conversation with an old timer at an Airstream shop in California. It turned out to be the same shop that had built this trailer back in the eighties. He told me that the owner had been his best customer, and used the trailer to haul his sand rail out to the dunes at Glamis. I recall him saying that it was totally stripped out, with only a very bare bones bath/shower set up at the front. Most of the windows were removed, and it had some sort of flip up or barn doors at the rear.

As much as I like my 325 cummins toy hauler, I've always thought that the ultimate Airstream set up would be to get a Classic 36 Cummins Pusher, add a Banks Power Pack for an extra 90 horsepower/200 pounds of torque, and then pull a similarly lightened 30 foot Airstream conversion trailer. My next, next project.

Does anyone know anything about how well those Classic 36 Pushers run?

And just in case I hit the lottery....

Take a look at this other rig.

2007 Prevost Marathon 1046
Attached Images
 
__________________
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #340
4 Rivet Member
 
audiv8q's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 259
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Hey MEANlow,

I came across this photo quite a while ago while searching for something on line, and I've always been kind of inspired by it. There's something nostalgic about an old, grainy, faded photo. Ahhh, when life was simpler.

Sometime later, while trying to hunt down a moho part, I ended up in a conversation with an old timer at an Airstream shop in California. It turned out to be the same shop that had built this trailer back in the eighties. He told me that the owner had been his best customer, and used the trailer to haul his sand rail out to the dunes at Glamis. I recall him saying that it was totally stripped out, with only a very bare bones bath/shower set up at the front. Most of the windows were removed, and it had some sort of flip up or barn doors at the rear.
HEEYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what I had in mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to have our 345 set up to pull a ASTT in the 31, 32, or 34 length, strip it out, cut off the rear dome, split it in half, and have it open as barn doors - and drive the Jeep Wrangler into it!!!!

And so many of you said it couldn't be done....

That picture makes me happy!
__________________
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #341
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Very cool photo. I've been trying to figure out how much I can tow. I have an '82 280 w/454 gas engine. I have a 20 foot enclosed car hauler that I use to transport my ATVs. I'm guessing trailer, ATVs and equipment might be around 4000 pounds. What do you think?
__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #342
4 Rivet Member
 
audiv8q's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 259
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
One of the first things I learned after signing up here on AS forums, is that the MHs have a tow capacity of about 2,000 Lbs, unless you significantly beef up the trailer hitch by adding more structural steel, welded further forward on the frame - in which case people get tow ratings of 10,000Lbs+
There are several threads that have pics of such beefed up towing equipment, including a few pics posted by KeyAir when he first got his new rig.
__________________
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #343
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
One of the first things I learned after signing up here on AS forums, is that the MHs have a tow capacity of about 2,000 Lbs, unless you significantly beef up the trailer hitch by adding more structural steel, welded further forward on the frame - in which case people get tow ratings of 10,000Lbs+
There are several threads that have pics of such beefed up towing equipment, including a few pics posted by KeyAir when he first got his new rig.
Please nobody take this as an argument against strengthening their hitch it totally isn't and the hitch is totally rated for 2000 lbs. When I bought my 345 I knew the previous owner and one of the first things I noticed was the 2000lb tow limit in the owner's manual so I thought he must have upgraded the hitch. Then I started looking at threads on upgraded hitches and noticed mine looked just like all the before pictures, not anything like the afters. The thing is I know he use to pull a Saturn on a tow dolly with it all the time and when he took his family out West he pulled an early nineties Jeep Grand Cherokee on that same tow dolly to California and back to NC! I don't know how he got away with it for all those years but nothing even appears to be bent or warped! Again, I'm not suggesting anyone try this, a lot of people get hurt due to things like this every year and I'm sure he just didn't know better, after all he owned the most trusted machine shop on the East Coast. He could have built any hitch he wanted if he knew he was doing anything wrong.

streamquest, I had to get up and get up close to my computer screen to look at that pic but it's very cool! I would love to see my Airstream & V-nose trailer in a wind tunnel to see how the air flows over the trailer, every time I tow it I can't help but think it's killing the whole Airstream's aerodynamics! At least it is a V-nose. Sure would be nice to have my motorcycle hauler aerodynamic like the Airstream though...
__________________
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #344
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
Images: 15
Even grainier now but much bigger, especially if you click on it... Very cool!

I follow the Long. Long Honeymoon blog and they did an episode on the Prevost tour buses, they are mighty sweet! The Airstream is really out of my league though, if it weren't so old I'd have never been able to afford it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-04-27 at 5.21.31 AM.png
Views:	113
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	128332  
__________________
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #345
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,935
Images: 1
Ok, I knew I had seen it... took me a sleepless night and some searching... But here is the real deal!
An Airstream Car transporter trailer!
Airstream 4U Superstar | made in Germany | export to United Kingdom...nothing is impossible...
__________________
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #346
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
Images: 15
Very nice! I like all the Mercedes gull wing style doors to gain access. I imagine it's a tight squeeze getting a car loaded in there and there would be no way to open the doors or walk around it to tie it down without all those access panels... Of course they probably aren't hauling '59 Cadillacs and giant cars like that in it in Germany or the U.K. anyhow...
__________________
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #347
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,271
Images: 55
John: I see you got your new seats and they look good. What was their story on the missed shipment?
I tried to order a shoulder belt model recliner so the granddaughter would be safer but they would not sell it as my unit did not have the shoulder belt as original equipment.
Is one of yours a recliner?
Dave


Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
Dan, were they Marine colored ?

when my new captains came from discount last week, we ordered ( Almond ).
and we received two dark blue, looks like, ( Marine ), color on their chart.
__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #348
4 Rivet Member
 
audiv8q's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 259
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Ok, I knew I had seen it... took me a sleepless night and some searching... But here is the real deal!
An Airstream Car transporter trailer!
Airstream 4U Superstar | made in Germany | export to United Kingdom...nothing is impossible...
Thank you, thank you, thank you....
How cool is that!!!

Fahrzeug-ID: 302
Vehicle ID

Baujahr: -
Build-year

Body / Total: 8,5 / 9,5 m
Self-explanitory. 26.4' / 31.16' (not 26' 4" / 31' 16")

TÜV: EU-Zulassun
TÜV is a European testing standard. Zulassen means "Allowance"

Dimension extern: 950 x 245 x 305 cm
External dimensions: 356¼" x 96½" x 120"

Leergewicht: 2.200 Kg
"empty" weight 4,840 Lbs

Einrichtung: Sonderbau
Arrangement: Special Build - or custom built

Glanzpoliert: ja
Hi-gloss polished: Yes

Zustand aussen: restauriert
Exterior condition: Restored

Zustand innen: teilmöbliert
Interior condition: Partly furnished

Standort: Hamburg / Germany
Location:
__________________
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #349
4 Rivet Member
 
audiv8q's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 259
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
Please nobody take this as an argument against strengthening their hitch it totally isn't and the hitch is totally rated for 2000 lbs.
I am confused...
I don't understand how what I said might be understood by some as an argument against strengthening the hitch...

Sometimes I say thing, mean one thing, and people totally take it a completely different way, and it confuses me how it is that this happens so often.

Sorry if it seemed like I was saying NOT to strengthen the hitch - what I meant to do was answer the previous post, that was asking what the tow capacity was - and at the same time convey that the tow capacity can easily be upgraded, and that many have done so, and posted the details of what they have done on threads here...

Please forgive me if anyone thought I meant anything different from that.
__________________
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #350
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
I am confused...
I don't understand how what I said might be understood by some as an argument against strengthening the hitch...

Sometimes I say thing, mean one thing, and people totally take it a completely different way, and it confuses me how it is that this happens so often.

Sorry if it seemed like I was saying NOT to strengthen the hitch - what I meant to do was answer the previous post, that was asking what the tow capacity was - and at the same time convey that the tow capacity can easily be upgraded, and that many have done so, and posted the details of what they have done on threads here...

Please forgive me if anyone thought I meant anything different from that.
Nobody did confuse your statement as an argument against strengthening an Airstream hitch(at least I sure didn't). I just didn't want anyone to confuse my statement as an argument against strengthening an Airstream hitch. I was just wanting to say I was surprised my hitch had never been strengthened yet survived being grossly overloaded for thousands of miles of cross country towing from sea to shining sea but in saying that I was afraid someone would think I was making the argument that hitch strengthening wasn't necessary and that is the last thing I wanted to do. Make more sense now? I was just making conversation, not correcting or arguing with anyone.
__________________

__________________
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic Motorhome Tires gunner Classic Motorhomes 68 06-03-2010 02:48 AM
What length Classic Motorhome do you own? ALANSD Classic Motorhomes 58 02-14-2009 05:12 PM
Classic Motorhome Tires gunner Classic Motorhomes 12 10-08-2007 05:17 PM
Classic Airstream Motorhome Picture Archive RichardT Airstream Motorhome Forums 0 11-09-2003 07:36 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.