Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #323
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
2 in front, plus 4 on the drive axle, plus 2 on the tag. That makes EIGHT!!!
+ steering wheel ...that makes NINE

Old 04-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #324
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
O.K. Audi, You've got me questioning my sanity and basic math skills, BUT I still come up with EIGHT wheels on my moho.

2 in front, plus 4 on the drive axle, plus 2 on the tag. That makes EIGHT!!!

Whew, at least I feel a bit better about my math skills, not so sure about my sanity!!!
Ohhohhoh.....
I thought you were doing a trailer toy hauler - but you're putting them into your MOTORIZED Airstream...
Well - that was the only thing that I could make make sense - but seeing the ASTT and the - is it a Spartan? - I was wondering how a trailer would have 8... Maybe 2 dually axle conversions on the TT???
Now I see - but...
Where is the bedroom going to be? Or ... um... how are you going to do that?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #325
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
+ steering wheel ...that makes NINE
And the spare... 10?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #326
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Then I better go to the AA meet tonight.

AA = ( Airstreamers Anonymous )
You know - I NEVER have seen any of these in Denmark - of for that matter, anywhere in Europe...

What are they called anyway?

"Luftstrøm"?

Luftå? A stream = en å

Men luft å translated back bliver til "Air Creek" - sååå....
Hmmm

And in German:
Lüften Sie Bach...
Næ... that would be "ventilate stream"...
Hmmm.

Or French:
"Aérer Ruisseau"
Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #327
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
(In the mean time, I've been quietly moving them around in the other two wheeled thing.)
So - which one is "the other two wheeled thing"???

And...

Where did you find an Airstream trailer with NO windows???
Old 04-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #328
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Airstream did what ever you wanted....
I dont remember if yours was a Funeral Coach, or a special order Streamquest?
Mine is a good example...
Note my drivers side has no window between the one over the front couch and the bathroom window.... cos I dont have a Dinette there like most of them!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #329
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Airstream did what ever you wanted....
I dont remember if yours was a Funeral Coach
Those coaches (we've only seen one) had a cool clamshell rear lid for the dear departed. The one we saw had a vanity plate that read, "lstride".
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #330
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
The moho was custom built by the factory back in 1990 for Jim McClure who was the Top Fuel bike champion at the time. He used it to haul his bike from race to race. I bought it from the third owner who was also a biker, and who raced with McClure. He told me that jaws dropped the first time they saw this big, shiny, new Airstream roll into the pits at a race. I guess it was quite a spectacle back then to a bunch of guys that carried their bikes around in old vans and open trailers.
The rig has a small kitchen sink cabinet and shower stall on the curb side, aft of the door, and a small fridge and enclosed sink/toilet opposite on the drivers side. The "bedroom" will be set up in an east/west position just forward of the "garage". The bed will be folded down from either side when needed, and stored up and out of the way otherwise, to allow passage from the salon to the "garage". I'm still trying to decide if I should cut some windows into the sleeping section, but I love those long uninterrupted aluminum sides. Maybe a skylight? The spare tire is carried underneath, just ahead of the fuel tank.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #331
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
The moho was custom built by the factory back in 1990 for Jim McClure
<snip, snip>
The rig has a small kitchen sink cabinet and shower stall on the curb side, aft of the door, and a small fridge and enclosed sink/toilet opposite on the drivers side. The "bedroom" will be set up in an east/west position just forward of the "garage". The bed will be folded down from either side when needed, and stored up and out of the way otherwise, to allow passage from the salon to the "garage".
Oh, geez! NOOOW I understand - the "'thing" with the ramp isn't, as I had thought, a trailer - it's a MoHo!!!.. WOW!!!

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide if I should cut some windows into the sleeping section, but I love those long uninterrupted aluminum sides. Maybe a skylight?
Noooo!
Definately don't cut in windows! That thing is SO awesome and unique! Leave it just the way it is!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #332
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
And by the way, I recall seeing an article somewhere by a fellow that made an INCREDIBLE car transporter from an old, thirty five foot long Spartanette trailer. This was definitely a big bucks project, executed with an open wallet, and featured lots of very cool details. The entire rear end folded up like a cargo plane, and individual articulated ramps deployed automatically. At the front of the trailer he had an air-conditioned lounge set up with period correct furnishings. I think he was from the Michigan area, and I believe I did see the thing for sale at some point. If anyone comes across it, it would be well worth posting.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #333
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
O.K. I did a quick search and found it!

I believe that there is a very lengthy and detailed chronology of the build, attached to this article. You won't believe what happens.

https://www.hagerty.com/lifestyle/ho....aspx?id=34594
Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #334
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
And by the way, I recall seeing an article somewhere by a fellow that made an INCREDIBLE car transporter from an old, thirty five foot long Spartanette trailer. This was definitely a big bucks project, executed with an open wallet, and featured lots of very cool details. The entire rear end folded up like a cargo plane, and individual articulated ramps deployed automatically. At the front of the trailer he had an air-conditioned lounge set up with period correct furnishings. I think he was from the Michigan area, and I believe I did see the thing for sale at some point. If anyone comes across it, it would be well worth posting.
Here it is - for sale - on Social Knowledge | Online Community Network. bringatrailer.com:
BaT Exclusive: 1951 Royal Spartanette Converted Hauler « BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

And here are the 727 pictures and story of the rebuild project:
barry2952's 1956 Lincoln Continental - Farmington Hills, MI Page 5

Oh - and since we're on the subject of re-builds, here is a 1959 Mercedes 190 converted into a station wagon. Found it on BaT (Bring a Trailer) with the link to the craigslist post:
1959 Mercedes 190D Wagon RARE!

Also on BaT, a 1971 Mercedes Benz 300TEL 6.3, or model # W109 for those who know Mercedes models well. It has been given a wagon conversion, and is powered by the M100 6.3L V8:
Superwagon: 1971 Mercedes Benz 300TEL 6.3 « BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

And finally for Octane, Keyair, and all you other crazed and deranged 2-wheel speed bullies (fartbøller...? Octane...?), here's a beauty!
Throttle Yard Weekend Round-Up « BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

Enjoy!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #335
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
Oh, geez! NOOOW I understand - the "'thing" with the ramp isn't, as I had thought, a trailer - it's a MoHo!!!.. WOW!!!

Noooo!
Definately don't cut in windows! That thing is SO awesome and unique! Leave it just the way it is!
Audi, thanks for the feedback on the window question. The last thing I need is to further expand my project list. Charly.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #336
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Having now realized that I'm in the midst of a bunch of like-minded, crazed bikers and car junkies masquerading as decent Airstreamers, I guess I can confess as well.

Eventually, I'll be able to secretly carry all of the two wheeled stuff around in the eight wheeled thing, without anyone knowing about it. (In the mean time, I've been quietly moving them around in the other two wheeled thing.) It'll be like bringing the Trojan horse into the Alumapalooza.
So streamquest, you are bringing your bikes to Alumapalooza? I posted on the Alumapalooza FaceBook page asking if anyone else was bringing their Harley or other bike to try and get a feel for how many bikers might be attending and the only response I got was "does a mountain bike count?" or something to that effect. I am planning on bringing mine. It might be nice to do a group ride if there are several people interested. I guess time will tell.

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome