Old 04-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #239
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
do you have pictures of your Harley s ?

Your wheels sparkle

Did You ? or someone Polish them.

John
I polished them myself. They look way better than when I bought it but could still look better, the first time I just acid washed them with NAPA aluminum cleaner then used Mothers paste aluminum polish on them with a Makita rotary buffer and a wool pad. Plus a Mothers Power Cone in a drill for the tight spots. Yesterday I started re-polishing them starting with BlackFire heavy cut aluminum compound, then Mothers power metal polish then Mothers Billet Aluminum polish. They looked great from a distance before but still had a lot of minor defects when viewed up close, this time they are coming out as near to like new as I think they can get without sending them off to be resurfaced. Per your request here is my bike, it's a 1999 Softail Springer FXSTS, the last of the Evo powered Harley-Davidsons. I wish my back would allow me to ride long distances but it won't however with the Airstream I still get to enjoy some of the great roads I've long dreamed of riding. Just pull the bike behind me, camp near where I want to ride and enjoy Last pic is how it looked when I bought it, and how it looks now (bottom) except for the mirrors, those mirrors were hideous on my bike, I now have basic, round head short stem H-D mirrors. I've basically added a Corbin saddle, Vance and Hines exhaust, Willie G. skull accessories and some sticky Avon rubber. Oh yeah, and the Garmin/Harley Zumo GPS that jockeys back and forth between the bike and the Airstream plus I have a backrest and rack with two bags I bolt on when needed to carry food & supplies back to the campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0319111140.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	126450   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5856.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	126451  

Name:	Exhaust Before & After.png
Views:	93
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	126452  

Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Awesome Pics Peeps!
Keep em coming!

Meanlow...
I was down there last year, in May... OBX!
Right after I bought my Airstream, and drove it back to CA.
Our whole family flew in from England and across the USA, and we stayed at "The Wedding House", otherwise known as "The Mark Twain".
Awesome Weather, great gathering!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #241
3 Rivet Member

That sounds like quite an adventure KeyAir! I love to travel, I guess that's a given for most everyone on here though... Never been on a trip of that scale however. Maybe someday. That is a beautiful beach house! If you are ever back there I highly recommend eating at The Black Pelican in (or near?) Kitty Hawk. They make an awesome seared tuna steak!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
It was quite a crazy time...
Lost my Job in March..
Flew to KS and drove the 345 back to CA in April...
Flew to NC in May for the family reunion..

We had only a 2wd rental car, so had to dump it short of the Beachhouse and get a 4wd ride, as the last 5 miles is on the beach!

Couple of shots...
Lotsa people in the Clan!

The Marine layer Rolls in at sunset...

Kittyhawk Museum...
Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #243
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
You should like this one as well then... Kirby loves using the MacBook, I just have to make sure the campground has WiFi... Plus a few pics from my trip island hopping across the Outer Banks of NC, Harleys in tow. Thanks for the comments!
That is funny..Great Harley by the way ..Such a Long Airstream..So roomy over there..wish we had space..

Wifi at the campsite ?? I made sure of that on the last trip after we were stung with dongle charges i.e. 15.00 English pounds to watch a film that ground to a halt just at the exciting bit..This time round..Picked a site "Free wifi" ..further to travel but no matter..
arrived..opened laptop..wifi ?? no signal..
Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #244
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
[QUOTE=Keyair;976139]It was quite a crazy time...
Lost my Job in March..
Flew to KS and drove the 345 back to CA in April...
Flew to NC in May for the family reunion..

Lost your Job ?? how simply dreadful Have you one now ??
Hx2 still has his at the mo but these cutbacks by the Government are biting now and he half expects it..
What a lovely snap of the family..The lady with her arms open just finishes it off nicely..
I like those wooden beach huts
Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #245
3 Rivet Member

Keyair, great family portrait. Looks like you took in the sites, The Black Pelican is in Kill Devil Hills, right next to The Kitty Hawk RV Park where we stayed, that's what always gets me confused on the location... I dunno why it isn't The Kill Devil Hills RV Park? Probably because more people associate Kitty Hawk with the Wright Brothers.

TinCrumpet, yes she is a long beast and I rarely use the bedroom for anything more than a changing room but it's nice when bringing a friend or family member along. That way you each have your own private space when needed and I do love my privacy. Free WiFi ranks right up there with pets welcome when I choose a campground. When my mobile phone contract expires in December I may get a 3g iPad though so I'll have internet almost everywhere. I was looking at Road Runner Mobile Web but I have no idea how good their service coverage is... It's the worst when you get to your campsite and the internet service won't pick up. I've had it happen to me more than once, one place I camped at the Outer Banks I had internet in the living room but at night I would take my notebook into the bedroom with me no signal!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #246
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
A late snowfall this morning; think we're going anywhere today?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0349 snow in flag.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	126528  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #247
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
A late snowfall this morning; think we're going anywhere today?
If you are please be careful! I wouldn't want to drive mine in that... I'm sure it can be done, I just wouldn't want to. Too much at risk...
Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #248

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
If you are please be careful! I wouldn't want to drive mine in that... I'm sure it can be done, I just wouldn't want to. Too much at risk...
Nope, I don't even carry chains. I've always wondered in the back of my mind what it would be like to have the rear end slide out from under me, but that's a story I hope never to tell. Plenty of propane, food and libations on board, we planned for this snowfall and will stay cozy until it melts.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #249
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Snow

Mike:
What location is the snow where are you?
I see you are heading north. Weather is good in Seattle area.
Dave
Just checked out the area on Wikipedia. I always thought of Flagstaff as being a warm area with no snow. Learn something new everyday>

"The annual snowfall averages 100.3 inches (255 cm), placing Flagstaff among the snowiest incorporated cities in the United States.[25] Overall, the city enjoys an average of 276 days without precipitation each year. Although snow often covers the ground for weeks after major winter storms, Flagstaff's relatively low latitude and plentiful winter sunshine quickly melt much of what falls, and persistent deep snowpack is unusual.[6] One notable exception occurred during the severe winter of 1915-1916, when successive Pacific storms buried the city under over 70 inches (178 cm) of snow , and some residents were snowbound in their homes for several days.[26]
Chart is on the site here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagstaff,_Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Nope, I don't even carry chains. I've always wondered in the back of my mind what it would be like to have the rear end slide out from under me, but that's a story I hope never to tell. Plenty of propane, food and libations on board, we planned for this snowfall and will stay cozy until it melts.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #250

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Flagstaff's relatively low latitude and plentiful winter sunshine quickly melt much of what falls, and persistent deep snowpack is unusual
I don't believe that for a minute. We got stuck here at KOA for three days one November in 2007.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0138.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	126553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0085.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	126554  

Old 04-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #251
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Looks fun but cold Mike...
How does your heating keep up?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #252

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Looks fun but cold Mike...How does your heating keep up?
No boondocking at this altitude, that's for sure! We use two liquid-filled radiators to keep us comfy overnight and use the furnace & the radiators during the day. The roof air heat strip comes into play should it get really chilly, but that is very seldom, if ever with the radiators. It's 5pm Arizona time and it's 70 in the coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0359 bess in side ice.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	126580   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0365 bess in ice.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	126581  

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome