1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard

how about an update on this project Lynn
Oh my.... Would love to, but they still have it. All done except for the hydra- boost. They are on # 4 this one from napa. I hope to have back tomorrow. Gosh I hope. I miss her so much. Will let you know something soon. I was trying to go down to the keys this weekend in her. This is the exact reason I haven't sold my 86. I have back up. Ha. Thanks for the inquiry.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #198
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q
I finally got over to the people we're buying our 345 from, and got some pictures. I am sorry about the poor quality of the pics - I only have a crappy phone to use - but that'll change soon! I have to be able to properly document my conversion of the AS TT I'll eventually buy and convert to hauling the Jeep, right?

Anyway - here's our new Baby - My wife hasn't named her yet.

A couple of years ago, we had a pair of VW busses we were going to combine into one. They sat in our front yard for a long time, and then we suddenly had to move out of state for my work, and we ended up selling one, and just abandoning the other. They were Astrid and Talulahbelle. The first pic is in honor of our previous resto project, the rest are of our "new" (to us) 345.

There are a couple of close-ups of "trouble spots" that I would like some input on how to repair / deal with - as well as a couple of the doors (I think both are for furnaces) that are white instead of Aluminum - is that how they are supposed to be, or have they been replaced / painted? And if so - how do I get new ones?

There's also a pic of the ugly rear-end missing the nice spare-tire cover, but Andy (from Inland) has already called me and provided pricing for a replacement door, so that won't remain that way for long.

As you might be able to see, she's got moss and algae growing on her now - one of the curses of parking a vehicle for ANY length of time in the State of Washington - but a good power-wash will take care of that right quick - then I need to talk to - is it Myrtle Lynn in Athens that has been developing and refining her polishing techniques? It's quite dull, and after seeing the pics on KeyAir's "classic pics" thread, I want to polish her up nice - and my wife HATES the brown stripe in the middle, so we'll have to do something about that. SHE is the boss when it comes to decorating - and I'm the boss when it comes to renovating or strengthening the frame of the TT to accommodate the Jeep.

The Dodge Executive is still sitting in Willemina, OR, so I haven't had a chance to get that cleaned up and sold, and we've been buried in snow (highly unusual for Western WA), so the old Dodge Class-C and the 5th wheel have also not progressed far (sulk!), so we're not alot closer to paying off the 345 than we were a month ago...

But I'm hopeful! We've got to move the 26' Dodge "the Executive" Class-A, the MT (Dodge Sportsman Class-C, currently completely gutted), the 5th Wheel (needs new, un-cat-damaged carpet, a new full mattress, and new cushions and curtains), the Dodge Caravan, and the Chevy Celebrity - and THEN we can pay off the 345.

Well, so much for my ramblings. If anyone is still reading, here are the pics.

Cheers!

Michael.
Looks great! First off before washing get remove all from VTS and strip the clear. It will remove all the mold and such. It will look great just stripping. Good luck pm me with any questions.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #199
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
Looks great! First off before washing get remove all from VTS and strip the clear. It will remove all the mold and such. It will look great just stripping. Good luck pm me with any questions.
VTS???

So - DON'T give it a power wash first???
Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #200
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q

VTS???

So - DON'T give it a power wash first???
Sorry vintage trailer supply. It will remove the clear coat and that will remove the mold. I mean you can just pressure wash for now and it will be clean. That's a start.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #201
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
it sounds like your son might be up for the challenge. I may sound old fashioned, but this sort of undertaking is a true character, and confidence building experience, especially for someone young.

Ahhh, the Zen of polishing.
"Wipe on, wipe off..."
- Mr. Miyagi
Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #202
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
"Wipe on, wipe off..."
- Mr. Miyagi
Hi Audi,

Congrats on the new rig.

The pressure washer will remove anything on top of the clear coat.

The Removall will remove the clear coat as well, and expose the raw aluminum to the weather.

The pressure washer will come in handy in either case.

You will get a big hit of instant gratification if you take it this far and get your first glimpse of fresh silver, but this decision will bring you to the point of no return. I don't know how long it actually takes for the bare skin to start to oxidize (probably has a lot to do with climate), but the decision to strip the clear coat is pretty much a decision to polish the whole thing, and it will be just a little bit more time consuming than Mr. Miyagi might lead you to believe.

It was my experience that any areas that showed deterioration of the original clear coat (which allowed the aluminum to oxidize underneath it) looked pretty much the same after I stripped the whole thing. The portions that have been successfully protected will be much brighter, but the failed areas will still appear kind of "milky". In fact, the oxidized areas will probably actually look worse by comparison to the freshly exposed aluminum. Just so you know what to expect.

God hates a coward, GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #203
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
[/QUOTE]

Have you heard of the hall of mirrors at the fun fair?
Will I look thinner,fatter or the same once ours is polished ?
This is amazing..I cant stop looking at it ..
I have an urge to open the door and sling out the cheap plasticy black Office Chair in ours..I want new cosy swiverley Seats.. cant afford them yet but I want some right now..
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Even I look good in that!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #205
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
[QUOTE=Keyair;964660]Even I look good in that! [QUOTE]

Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #206
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:

One may look thinner and a shade dirtier after doing all that buffing!

Here's my questions.

When the polishing done, what's the easiest, least time consuming, and least expensive way of maintaining the shine?

What would a coat of clear coat look on top of a mirror polish? Are there different types of clear coats? Is turtle wax an inside joke?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #207
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Liberator 1989 Airstream 345

Those polished units sure look interesting, but after doing a Feathercraft, I don't think I'll be doing that again.

Heres the way it started...

Has come along way since then...

Silly I know, just only photo of bar stool area clean...

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #208
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
This is amazing..I cant stop looking at it ..
I have an urge to open the door and sling out the cheap plasticy black Office Chair in ours..I want new cosy swiverley Seats.. cant afford them yet but I want some right now..[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I have to say that is only the second step in polishing. Still waiting to get her back. Still in shop. I bought new swivel seats. I was going to have the old recovered and was able to get new cheaper. My old one have already been taken apart or they would be yours. I will get a pic out soon. I am in my 86 32' AS trailer camping In GA Veterans star park to get away for a few days. Happy I didn't sell this one when I bought the motorhome. Haha. Internet service not to good. Will post pics soon.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #209
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
One may look thinner and a shade dirtier after doing all that buffing!

Here's my questions.

When the polishing done, what's the easiest, least time consuming, and least expensive way of maintaining the shine?

What would a coat of clear coat look on top of a mirror polish? Are there different types of clear coats? Is turtle wax an inside joke?
Buffing..Dirt..Polisher..RobinPilot {Melody Ranch] tattooed himself with his lost his balance..he was ok ..he's tough..
Spring here soon..we'll be starting..not exactly me..I mean them..I'll be watching and pointing and picking fault..they may tie me up..
for all the wrong reasons..or the right reasons depending on how you look at it
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #210
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
[/QUOTE]
Ive seen that Rabbit before
Great ..It looks like your Easter Bunny..I like the way the hand is on the bar stool..so funny..and the feet ..hey the Jeans are a giveaway..real rabbits don't wear Jeans !!
Hx2 loves you Diner Style Interior ..
I'm looking at you stamping the stars..Id make a pigs ear of that..they'd be as wonky as hell..I would roll on the carpet tubes..kick the paint tin over..
thats the sort of thing that happens to me..

Thats reminded me of someone I know..
Into the 3rd night..no rest..His wife was exhausted..
He was left with the baby to get her to sleep..He turned on the hoover as the little one liked the noise..his wife went to bed and left him to it..
1 am..no sign of him..his wife went to check..
Baby was crawling around, He was fast asleep stretched out on the floor.. hoover was still on and had sucked a massive hole in the new carpet..
Next day..he couldnt stand the embarrassment of telling the insurance company the real truth.. he bought a rug to cover the hole..and a tin of paint..He emptied the paint over the carpet..rang the Insurance company and said he had an accident. Guess what ..he wasn't Insured boy that made me laugh so much..what a twerp ! Hans said can he swap models...not the motorhomes..the lady in the entrance !!
I like the camp site kills ..funny..
Cheerios..

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome