Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #261
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Ice

Mike:
Hope you had forsight to keep deicer in the ws washers! Many operators get in the warm country and use homemade mixtures that will freeze and break the pump.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Make sure your cooling system is in tip-top shape. The pull up on I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff is a bearcat, especially in the 90+ degrees we pulled the other day!
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #262
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
It was in the 50's here today. We even had the lawn mower out yesterday.

Cheers, Dan
Dan, for goodness sakes... How long have you lived in WA?
Just because it "was"" 50 the other day - or heck, even a few moments ago, doesn't guarantee that it isn't snowing tomorrow - or heck, even a few moments FROM now!

Yeah - I saw several people mowing, driving through town yesterday - but on Wednesday while I was out working on the RV, over the course of 2 hours it went from sunny and warm, to rainy - to sunny and warm - to rainy, windy and cold, to sunny and warm - to snowing - to sunny and warm - to sunny AND RAINING AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!

Geez... If you don't like the weather in WA - WAIT 5 minutes!

I overheard this conversation at a pharmacy a couple of years ago, when I was in Arizona:
Man walks up to Pharmacist.
Man: "I need the most powerful sunblock you could possibly give me!"
Pharmacict hands Man a piece of paper.
Man: "What's this?"
Pharmacist: "Directions to Seattle!"

Cheers!
Michael.
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
Dan, for goodness sakes... How long have you lived in WA?
Just because it "was"" 50 the other day - or heck, even a few moments ago, doesn't guarantee that it isn't snowing tomorrow - or heck, even a few moments FROM now!

Yeah - I saw several people mowing, driving through town yesterday - but on Wednesday while I was out working on the RV, over the course of 2 hours it went from sunny and warm, to rainy - to sunny and warm - to rainy, windy and cold, to sunny and warm - to snowing - to sunny and warm - to sunny AND RAINING AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!

Geez... If you don't like the weather in WA - WAIT 5 minutes!

I overheard this conversation at a pharmacy a couple of years ago, when I was in Arizona:
Man walks up to Pharmacist.
Man: "I need the most powerful sunblock you could possibly give me!"
Pharmacict hands Man a piece of paper.
Man: "What's this?"
Pharmacist: "Directions to Seattle!"

Cheers!
Michael.
You must be too close to Portland Micheal, up here on the Olympic Peninsula we have it a bit more civilized.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #264
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Melting quickly, think we've got a window to get north next week. Having premature wear on my newer front Goodyears, on the inside. Thinking of having them rotated for the trip back and then deal with what could be anything. She tracks fine, no wobble. Seems like yesterday I had her aligned, but, you all know how the mind starts to go. We'll go out I-17, to Kingman and north on 43 over the new bypass bridge and up 95 through Nevada. Want to see our forum friend at Goose Lake S.P. in CA off 395 at the Oregon border, but it all gets weather dependent once we hit the "green & Grey". Will check in when we can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0379bess after snow.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	126625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0371bess after snow.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	126626  

Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #265
3 Rivet Member

Since this is a picture thread, here is a few pictures of my Airstream key chains. I know you can still buy the trailer version of the first one new but I haven't seen another motorhome version and feel lucky to have it. Just curious, how many of you have one of these? It is worn thin where it joins to the chain (the top of the air conditioner) so I don't carry it anymore. The previous owner carried it, and I did at first until one day I decided to see how hard I had to pull to get it to separate from the chain and it just fell off with no perceivable resistance! I wonder if a jeweler could build the thin area back up with silver solder or something? I have no idea what type of metal it is made of is the only problem... It doesn't appear to be magnetic and it's way too heavy to be aluminum. Might be pewter or something, I'm sure it's not a precious metal, pretty special to me though. I carry the plastic one everywhere with me, I've read that dealers gave these away on a regular basis and they are quite common but I haven't run across another one of them yet either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_6274.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	126813   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6275.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	126814  

Name:	100_6278.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	126815  
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #266
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
The high Nevada desert this morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0413tonopah.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	126929  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #267
3 Rivet Member

I had to post this picture. I went to see my former boss today (Jimmy Scott), the one I bought the Airstream from, to show him what I've been doing to the 345 since purchasing it. He brought out this photo taken in July of 1988 of him (leaning on the motorcycle facing the camera) his son's backside and his late father (Harvey Scott in the undershirt) who was killed tragically in an automobile crash running parts for the shop back in the early nineties and the Airstream all at Harker's Island, NC. The motorcycle was a 1982 Harley-Davidson FXRS and was the first Harley I ever rode and only the second street bike I had ever ridden at 16 years old! Jimmy and his family always treated me like one of their own and were a major influence on my life and when he showed this to me I had to borrow it to share with all of you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jimmy, Vincent, & Harvey The Airstream & Jimmy's '82 FXRS 7:88 .jpg
Views:	321
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	127582  
Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #268
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Priceless!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #269
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN
I had to post this picture. I went to see my former boss today (Jimmy Scott), the one I bought the Airstream from, to show him what I've been doing to the 345 since purchasing it. He brought out this photo taken in July of 1988 of him (leaning on the motorcycle facing the camera) his son's backside and his late father (Harvey Scott in the undershirt) who was killed tragically in an automobile crash running parts for the shop back in the early nineties and the Airstream all at Harker's Island, NC. The motorcycle was a 1982 Harley-Davidson FXRS and was the first Harley I ever rode and only the second street bike I had ever ridden at 16 years old! Jimmy and his family always treated me like one of their own and were a major influence on my life and when he showed this to me I had to borrow it to share with all of you!
That is great! Keep a copy with the Moho.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #270
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Priceless!
Some things are...
For everything else - there's MasterCard!

http://youtu.be/-Og0sNh-u8M
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #271
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
How wonderful..how truly sad about Harvey..I yearned for a Harley..Hx2 wouldn't agree to it..bought a Honda instead..and a mini Military Motorbike..ended up selling both after also ending up in a ditch not once but twice..for yours truly is was a case of lethal weapons 1 and 2 ..still love Harleys..and Vincents..one of my life's regrets..not being up to the scratch to ride a muscly motorbike..Lorries..easy peasy..bikes..they took me for a ride..with me clinging on..its a bit like facing a scary dog..you have to show who boss..and I couldn't ..dogs..I'm scared of em..and they know it..Apart from Lacie..she's as daft as a brush..oh..and Dusty she's daft too..what a picture to treasure..xx
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #272
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
So MEANlowGREEN, you're a motorcycle guy!
Me too. I have 7 I think....or is it 8 (?)....er...

How about a "Motorcycle riding Airstreamers" sub-forum.

After all this forum already have a whooping 160 sub-forums.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #273
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
So MEANlowGREEN, you're a motorcycle guy!
Me too. I have 7 I think....or is it 8 (?)....er...

How about a "Motorcycle riding Airstreamers" sub-forum.

After all this forum already have a whooping 160 sub-forums.
I am definitely a motorcycle guy, I had a '95 Ducati 900-SS when I met my ex-wife and I doubt we would have gotten married if it weren't for that bike. Ironically after we got married she decided it was too dangerous and she wanted me to sell it. So I sell it and not too much later she starts begging me to buy an ATV! I ended up buying us each brand new Hondas, a Rancher 350ES for me and a Recon 250ES for her. I had owned dirt bikes, street bikes, 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers all my life and had never so much as broken my pinky on any of them.

One night we have an argument over who knows what so the next morning I decide I'm loading up the Rancher and going to the public OHV riding area (Uwharrie National Forest) to clear my head. This was spring of 2003 and it had been a very rainy season. I ended up sliding down a mountain sideways in the mud the tire caught a root and sent the 4 wheeler into a barrel roll launching me out and down the mountain. I landed about 40 feet down on my feet crushing my L1 vertebra and before I had time to think the 4 wheeler hits me in the back and plants me face down in the mud pinned under it.

I spent six nights in the intensive care trauma ward (after riding myself 1 mile out of the woods, loading the 4 wheeler onto the trailer and driving 15 miles to the nearest emergency room all on pure adrenaline) I had my spine fused and went back to work just as soon as the surgeon would release me to. I worked for 2 years in misery every day and every evening was spent just trying to rest up so I could bare the next day. All the while my surgeon kept telling me how I would just keep getting better and better.

I finally got a second and third and fourth opinion and ended up being told if I didn't quit work I they wouldn't continue to treat my pain because working was making it worse so I was pretty much forced into the one thing I never wanted, S.S. disability. Not one month later me and my ex split, I lost my house, and most everything that meant anything to me waiting for my disability to kick in.

I spent the next 5 years staring at the TV and getting depressed then one day I started to wonder if I could bare to sit on a motorcycle. I knew I'd never ride a sport bike again with my back the way it is so there was only one choice for me. I went to the local Harley-Davidson dealership and took a test ride. It was great! Finally something that made me feel alive again or even want to be alive. I've been riding ever since. 100 miles is my limit before the pain starts to outweigh the pleasure but it feels great to get some fresh air and feel the wind on my face again.

That is what made me want to buy the Airstream, I can't ride long distance but I can drive the Airstream to bike rallies and places I've always wanted to ride, camp and take short rides during the day. It's been a complete lifestyle change, it took me quite a few years to figure out how to live again after my injury but I'm finally happy. I still hurt but I'm not depressed and miserable all the time now. I actually enjoy my life. That's not to say I wouldn't go back to work tomorrow if I was miraculously cured because I would but until then I'm one happy Airstreaming biker!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Awesome story!
Your back story makes me wince... I have had my fair share of problems, but no surgeries.

I love Bikes too, but I had a Father who was a Traffic Cop...
He picked up pieces of far too many Young Men, so he tolerated my Moped and Motorcycle days until I passed my test, then handed me the keys to the old Family Cortina Mk1 1500 Deluxe... My Motorcycle days ended there at 18, and in truth, with the weather in the UK as it is, I didnt miss it until I moved to California.
I did loose friends and Colleages over the years tho who continued to ride..
And my Girlfriend lost a Boyfriend, so she is not a fan either.

However....
Last year I was given a "Gift"....
I did a favor for a friend of mine, and as she was unable to pay for what I had done... So she told me I could have what was under the Tarp in the side yard...
This is what I saw when I pulled back the tarp....

A 1983 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special!
It had been there for about 20 years, untouched!
10,450 miles on it.

I pulled it out to see what I had...

And loaded it on my truck!

Here it is after a good clean...
Aside from needing the carbs rebuilt, tires, chain and chrome cleaned and replaced its in good shape...
A little clean up and it looks better...

Engine compression is about 140psi cold, which is great.
Only big issue is the Mouse that was living in the empty Battery Box decided it needed a snack...

So that section of the Harness will need to be replaced...
No Harley for sure, but kinda fun to tinker with and get back on the road someday!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #275
3 Rivet Member

Looks nice for as old as it is. My first bike (bought from my old boss's nephew) was a 1983 Yamaha Seca 750 (the first street bike I ever rode, also the fastest production 750 for 1983!) I wouldn't call it fast by modern standards though. It was a lot of fun to ride though, he bought it from the original owner (my old boss's brother-in-law) who had broke both his legs on it and one of his friends crashed it for him as well so it was a project when I got it for $250 but I fixed it up and enjoyed it for a year or so then upgraded. Those old Yamahas will run forever with very little care! You thinking of getting your license and riding it? You can split lanes legally in CA!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #276
3 Rivet Member

Good looking dog by the way ) You know, it's funny how things work out. I had always dreamed of being able to own that Airstream and I had always dreamed of owning a Harley-Davidson and never thought I'd be able to afford either one and until becoming disabled I couldn't. Now I have both, go figure???
Old 04-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #277
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I just cant see myself riding every day... but a nice ride on a sunday morning down PCH sounds fun, so I will take my licence when its ready to ride.
Friend have said I should "Bob" it or do a Cafe racer....
I dont think so... I think bring it back to a nice stock restoration.

There was some progress until I lost my job last year...
I found a pair of the 64 spoke wheels in nice shape, and have a carb and engine gasket sets on hand, as well brake rebuild kits.

I have the Tank and side panels being painted at the moment, as there was some surface rust between the tank and saddle.
The engine side covers are off and almost polished...

Truth is, I will have to strip the frame to replace the harness, and the engine needs a detail, so when I have time, i will strip the whole thing, and have the frame blasted and powdercoated, and do it right!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks for the Doggie Complements!
She is a star, my Moose.... here she is with our newest addition... Cole in the Airstream...
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #279
3 Rivet Member

Looks like you'll have the nicest, cleanest '83 Yamaha 650 around when it's all said and done. I had a pit when I was married, she was a great dog, very sweet and loving. A few bad people have given the whole breed a bad reputation.

After I thought about it I realized the reason I could never afford the things I wanted before was because of the woman I was married to. She was my near ruin. Got rid of her and life just keeps getting better!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yes, the people who pass thru our lives can be a damper or a booster!
Now I have a BOOSTER!

Both Dogs are Mutts... Moose(named after Moose Tracks Ice cream cos of her carmel color and swirls) is we dont know what...but she is 4 this year and about 75lb. We think/were told American Staffordshire and Great Dane or maybe Weimeriner(sp?)
Cole is easier to ID, he is Black Lab and Pittbull, and about 90lb... he is really sweet with people and good natured dogs... but puppies or Juvi dogs that jump in his face... he gets really grumpy and grabs then to teach them a lesson, so we have to watch him. Aggressive dogs dont bother him either... he bows down to them. Most odd!

Tags
1984 airstream 345, pictures, quartzsite, slipstream, motorhome