Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
We will probably head down a couple days early.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Dakota, we have one space left, and you have it! We won't be there until noon the first day for check in. PM me your number, if you don't mind, and I will call when I get back from my trip around 10APR15.

If more people want to go the group sites are still open and some are two site ones, so just need to pair up.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #63
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Dang! After rechecking, I may be open on those dates!!!! I need to wait till I get home from being a 'snowbird' (for the first time) and check, but I think I can make it! So much so I'd be willing to sent a check:<) Somewhere?
Well be home (Oklahoma) next week.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Great Choc, glad to hear that you may join us in Colorado.

I was just cruising thru Parker last week and was thinking we just missed crossing trails there.

So now I may yet get to check out the most refreshed engine in the airstream Moho world.

So far Vycan is covering the fees till we get there.

Vycan, if you would like some $s. Up front PM your details to us.

This gathering is drawing closer, and I'm getting stoked.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
choctamel, you can definitely join us. Please contact the park and reserve the two-site campsite in our group area. I wish I could be more help, but I am currently on restricted bandwidth and with little time available. If you get the two-site one reserved, you have to pay twice as much as the rest of us, but someone might jump in. Or as another option you can stay at the same park, and just swing by. I do not have phone access until 5APR15.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Frisco, CO/Scottsdale, AZ , Denver, CO
We live in Frisco, CO in the central mountains and keep our 350 on our property. We travel over mountain passes regularly with no problem. Just keep to the right and get behind the trucks. There are good campgrounds around Lake Dillon with plenty to do in the area. It's only a 1 hour drive through the Eisenhower Tunnel from the west side of Metro Denver and you're out of the city. We're in if you do it somewhere besides the RV parks along the front range and schedule it sometime between mid to late summer.
Hal-Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Hal-Gen, I've only passed thru Colorado a couple of times. But hear "the front range". Mentioned in a way that seems a bit derogatory, is there a Colorado THING here that others may not know about?
Your 350 seems to be the located closest to our event, will you still be in Az. In mid April? It'd be nice to have you join us for this first get together.
It would be great to have some local knowledge on hand for further Colorado adventure planning.
Here's hoping you can make it.

I have been driving my 345 frequently thru Scottsdale on the way to a friends place in Paradise Valley over the last year. Nice area in the winter.

Cheers Richard
Old 03-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Hal-Gen, I've only passed thru Colorado a couple of times. But hear "the front range". Mentioned in a way that seems a bit derogatory, is there a Colorado THING here that others may not know about?

It's where all the people are! Most of us head west up into the hills to escape "The Front Range" on our time off. That said, there are a lot of nice things to see and do along the front range. There was discussion about having this get together in the mountains but concerns about the potential of winter storms in April and driving the mountain passes were considered.

Hopefully a future get together can be held in the hills.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Ah now I get it. Thanks Kota. Not being a city guy myself, that does make sense.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Ah now I get it. Thanks Kota. Not being a city guy myself, that does make sense.

I looks like a nice park and I'm looking forward to a local trip to check out the winter projects and maintenance. Can't wait to check out the new exhaust brake. I've been across most of the mountain passes in Colorado and Wyoming without one. Technique is very important.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Yep I just did a few hundred miles of Shake down cruising last week to see what is needed to make the drive up to Colorado Springs . I find if I'm not making things better, they may be going the other direction.
The coach seems good to go. May not be quite ready to tow the old porsche at that time. As I'm in Hawaii now for a while hanging with my boys while their mother is on the mainland doing medical stuff.

Yes the driveline brake ing system, worthy endeavor. Interested to see how that works out for you. I had the brakes boil on the way down from Lake Tahoe last summer. I drained and replaced the fluid with dot 4, but Still need to get new brakes installed in the tag axel.

It's going to be great to spend some time talking with others who have been using these machines for a while to pick up tips and techniques such as the high mountain pass driving you mentioned.

I wonder if Vycan has heard any more about the vintage trailer group that asked about joining in?

Cheers Richard
Old 03-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Classic Motor home get together

This will be our first trip with other AS folks. Looking forward to it. We will be down there a couple days early. We generally head west into mountains the and end up on dirt roads requiring recon on the bike. This 360 was gone where no AS has gone before. I'm often torn between polishing it or building a roll cage!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We are coming out about 10 days before the get together. Gonna be up at sons house for a couple days in FOCO. Then we want to spend a few days down west of Denver, daughter lives in Denver. This will be my first time driving the 310 in the mountains though Ive driven other vehicles up into Crested Butte, Estes Park, etc.

Does anyone have more recommendations for camp grounds west of Denver area? Ill check out Dillon Lake. I would like to get up in the mountains a bit but not too far. First time getting my feet wet driving this rig up and back down! Any recommendations for nice parks in the area is appreciated!

Mike n Lynn
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
We are coming out about 10 days before the get together. Gonna be up at sons house for a couple days in FOCO. Then we want to spend a few days down west of Denver, daughter lives in Denver. This will be my first time driving the 310 in the mountains though Ive driven other vehicles up into Crested Butte, Estes Park, etc.

Does anyone have more recommendations for camp grounds west of Denver area? Ill check out Dillon Lake. I would like to get up in the mountains a bit but not too far. First time getting my feet wet driving this rig up and back down! Any recommendations for nice parks in the area is appreciated!

Mike n Lynn

It's a bit early for the mountains. Mostly because they are still buried in snow. Might be something open around Estes Park. We like the Pawnee campground at Brainard Lake but I'm betting it's still snowed in. It about 30 miles west of Boulder.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Quote:
Your 350 seems to be the located closest to our event, will you still be in Az. In mid April? It'd be nice to have you join us for this first get together.
It would be great to have some local knowledge on hand for further Colorado adventure planning.
Here's hoping you can make it.

I have been driving my 345 frequently thru Scottsdale on the way to a friends place in Paradise Valley over the last year. Nice area in the winter.

Cheers Richard
We don't mean "the front range" as a derogatory term. It's simply what we call the population strip from Fort Collins through Denver to Pueblo. My husband and I spent all our lives and careers in Denver and loved it but now live in the Colorado mountains half the year and in Scottsdale half the year. We've traveled in every state with our 350 before and after our retirement. Coincidentally, we live in the McCormick Ranch area of Scottsdale which is right across Scottsdale Road from Paradise Valley where you visit your friends. We won't be going back to Colorado until the beginning of May so we can't make it to your event this year. It does sound like fun to get moho owners together. Not many of us out there.
Cheers to you too. Ginny
Old 03-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
This will be our first trip with other AS folks. Looking forward to it. We will be down there a couple days early. We generally head west into mountains the and end up on dirt roads requiring recon on the bike. This 360 was gone where no AS has gone before. I'm often torn between polishing it or building a roll cage!
We also like to travel into unknown territory and have taken a few "never again" routes; e.g. Independence Pass to Aspen and the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco. (Still have paint on the mirror from inching through the toll area). Keeps life interesting. Right?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post

Mike n Lynn
There are some good campgrounds on Dillon Lake and the Blue River but nothing will be open until Memorial Day.
Our kids and grandkids go up to Frisco and use our house in the winter as a base to go skiing and are reporting that we still have 6 - 8 feet of snow on the property.
You might find a campground on the East side of the Continental Divide that's open by going to the Forest Service Website. It's a good one with lots of information. Address is: www.fs.usda.gov
Also check the Colorado State Parks website. If you want to stay in Denver, look up Cherry Creek or Chatfield State Parks.
As a last resort you might use google maps to find a private campground.
Good Luck.
Ginny
Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I was looking at Reverends Ridge Campground in Golden Gate Canyon state park this morning. It says that the campground is open all year but no reservations till Memorial Day and facilities may be limited. (Restrooms n showers). Do you think that would work in mid April? I realize its a bit of a crap shoot as far as weather. I sure appreciate the advice here. My son, up in FOCO, is a big camper but he tent camps in remote BLM areas a lot. He seems to think that we wont have any problem with weather no further up than we are going, but he is a lot younger and adventerous these days. The state park web site says they have two loops open as of earlier this month. What do ya think?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I should probably just not worry about it and figure it out as we go.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I don't think you will have any problems. That's only a few miles from my house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1427048195.160883.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	234749

This was last week in Boulder. It's been in the 70 since and the snow is gone. When you get here it will either be snow or sun. I wouldn't worry about it. If it does snow you will have several days notice that it coming. And this time of the year they are pretty short events. A day or two at the most. Generally you can count on bright sun.