Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #1761
3 Rivet Member
 
1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 190
There are 2 airstream motor homes up for auction on eBay not sure how to provide links.
__________________

Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #1762
3 Rivet Member
 
1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 190
There is also an 87 motorhome being parted out in Calgary through kijij. Not much left but maybe something needed by someone on AF

Parting out 1987 AIRSTREAM Class A motor home... on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/...utm_source=sms
__________________

Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #1763
3 Rivet Member
 
1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 190
So what were some original prices on some of these motorhomes new? I have a 1982 excella 280 td. I'm in $22000 and it's a turd that will need lots of tlc just to get it reasonably functioning and a ton of money. I haven't the faintest idea value originally. I'm going to commit $50000total as a ceiling over the years with all work most likely performed by myself with help from friends.I wanted an airstream and found one,now I'm in constant research mode. Weird thing is I cannot find any info especially with this darn diesel. Every place I phone tells me that my unit does not exist lol. I would have figured 25-30grand new. Interestingly seeing a 325 in Ontario on kijiji listed for $75000, it's a gas job, nothing fancy, has more options then mine because this is a 1986. And they claim it was $181 000 brand new???????

1986 Airstream 325 Motorhome on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/...utm_source=sms
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #1764
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
So what were some original prices on some of these motorhomes new? I have a 1982 excella 280 td. I'm in $22000 and it's a turd that will need lots of tlc just to get it reasonably functioning and a ton of money. I haven't the faintest idea value originally. I'm going to commit $50000total as a ceiling over the years with all work most likely performed by myself with help from friends.I wanted an airstream and found one,now I'm in constant research mode. Weird thing is I cannot find any info especially with this darn diesel. Every place I phone tells me that my unit does not exist lol. I would have figured 25-30grand new. Interestingly seeing a 325 in Ontario on kijiji listed for $75000, it's a gas job, nothing fancy, has more options then mine because this is a 1986. And they claim it was $181 000 brand new???????

1986 Airstream 325 Motorhome on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/...utm_source=sms
Well your MH definitely existed (https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...d4d7c878f0.pdf).

There is a gap is in Airstream published pricing. A 1979 petrol 28 Excella had a list price of $52K, probably $60K by 1982 and allow another $5K for the diesel so I would guess around $65K. However prices went up steeply along with length in the 1980s and the list on a 1986 325 was around $120K....of course these are prices in USD not CAD
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #1765
3 Rivet Member
 
1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 190
Based on a value of $65000 in 1982. I went to an online inflation calculator and it works out to $161,000 this is usd of course if this helps any other curious minds
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #1766
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,713
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
Based on a value of $65000 in 1982. I went to an online inflation calculator and it works out to $161,000 this is usd of course if this helps any other curious minds
The market prices for these Classics is all over the map without rhyme or reason.
I had my 310 on the market
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-310-31-texas/
for 2 weeks with comments like "high end asking price", "not what I am looking for" etc.
I am not sure what people expect anymore? Do they want a highly polished unit with aluminum interior walls, totally disregarding the real issues on hand with these classic: a completely rebuilt drive train, Motor, Trans, fuel injection, brakes, shocks, airbags and all the coach systems 100% restored and fully functioning???
My asking price of 24500 just barely covers the $ spent on acquisition, parts and supplies. My hundreds of hours is a gift to the new owner.
Anyone who thinks they can recover the labor portion of restoring these beauties is dreaming.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1991 25' Excella Trailer
1990 25' Excella Trailer

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #1767
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,731
Well speaking of values..........I contacted my insurance agent a few days ago because I'm not feeling good about my "agreed value" with progressive. I went ahead and started the process to get a certified/professional appraisal done to have in hand should something happen. This should be very interesting. Ill let you guys know how the process goes and what's what. Are there any active members out there that have gone this route and would be kind enough to share the info??????? Sure would be nice if we had a few for insurance values......we shall see what happens.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #1768
3 Rivet Member
 
1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 190
I'm with State Farm. I was able to get insurance very easily but I know I will get screwed over if I had a problem. The agent was very very quick and clear I would only get what the market would bear locally and also at point of time.

I had an initial quick quote in Edmonton Alberta from haggerty ( which specializes in antique insurance). I would have to get pictures and go through the process and they let me pick my coverage on agreed value. If I pick way to high they let me know on the spot if they accept. I plan on getting $30000 coverage if they will insure a classic motorhome.
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #1769
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Well your MH definitely existed (https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...d4d7c878f0.pdf).

There is a gap is in Airstream published pricing. A 1979 petrol 28 Excella had a list price of $52K, probably $60K by 1982 and allow another $5K for the diesel so I would guess around $65K. However prices went up steeply along with length in the 1980s and the list on a 1986 325 was around $120K....of course these are prices in USD not CAD
Hold up there fella! On the bill of sale on my 1983 310 TD the base price was just under $80,000 USD.....the diesel option alone was +$15,000!!!!! (you could buy a brand new 84 Vette for that money), then add the rear convertible lounge and all the other options and my 310 hit the original PO's wallet to the tune of almost $108,000 USD.

Up here in the Great White North you could buy a pretty nice pad for $108,000 USD back in 1983.

As for used values in the last few months....I'm just gob smacked at how high people are listing stuff.

I don't know how many miles Peter has on that 310 but at these used values list lately, Peter's 310 is a bloody steal at these prices.

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #1770
3 Rivet Member
 
1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 190
^ in today's dollars that would be a $36000 upgrade?
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #1771
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,731
The problem, as always, is finding out what the units actually sold for. If we could figure out a method to do that, we would have some really solid info as to true value. I just can't see getting around an appraisal as the next best thing. Have no idea what it's going to cost me to get it done but at this point, I think it will give me peace of mind with ins coverage.........I hope. Hell, who knows!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #1772
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
^ in today's dollars that would be a $36000 upgrade?
That's not the half of it......your chassis as well as mine were delivered to AS with a 454 already installed....AS took the 454 out, sold it and fabbed up all the necessary mountings, electrics, fuel lines and tank for the diesel. Pretty sure it didn't cost them $15,000, but that's what is on my invoice/bill of sale.

On Mike's (Mayco) 310, AS would have even been able to sell the 475 transmission along with the 454. God knows what they charged the original PO to put the Allison in (you have the only 310 with an Allison, don't you Mike?).

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #1773
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,731
The only one I know of Tony. Pretty sure the only '82 and maybe the only 310 like you say.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #1774
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,749
I've been told a 280 TD went for around $95,000 when new in '82.
__________________
Cheers, Dan
________________________________________


"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #1775
4 Rivet Member
 
Kreimer's Avatar
 
1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
I'm with State Farm. I was able to get insurance very easily but I know I will get screwed over if I had a problem. The agent was very very quick and clear I would only get what the market would bear locally and also at point of time.

I had an initial quick quote in Edmonton Alberta from haggerty ( which specializes in antique insurance). I would have to get pictures and go through the process and they let me pick my coverage on agreed value. If I pick way to high they let me know on the spot if they accept. I plan on getting $30000 coverage if they will insure a classic motorhome.


We have State Farm. They tried to total our 345 for the price of a broken windshield. They were terrible. I had to do all the footwork to get anything done.
Kreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #1776
3 Rivet Member
 
1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 190
Yep sounds like them!! I better get it moved before on the road
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:51 AM   #1777
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,573
Images: 1
Hagerty would not insure a Motorhome last time I asked them.
__________________
My name is Steve.... and I am an Alumaholic!
Working in my Garage is like playing TETRIS with Tools!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #1778
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
The market prices for these Classics is all over the map without rhyme or reason.
I had my 310 on the market
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-310-31-texas/
for 2 weeks with comments like "high end asking price", "not what I am looking for" etc.
I am not sure what people expect anymore? Do they want a highly polished unit with aluminum interior walls, totally disregarding the real issues on hand with these classic: a completely rebuilt drive train, Motor, Trans, fuel injection, brakes, shocks, airbags and all the coach systems 100% restored and fully functioning???
My asking price of 24500 just barely covers the $ spent on acquisition, parts and supplies. My hundreds of hours is a gift to the new owner.
Anyone who thinks they can recover the labor portion of restoring these beauties is dreaming.
What I want to know is why are you selling your 310?!
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #1779
Rivet Master
 
Vycan's Avatar
 
1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 1
Gents,

I have bounced around insurance companies every year or two because they seem to raise their rates to double after the first year with them. I provide an appraisal for agreed value.

There is an Airstream dealer outside of Dallas that does them. I was referred there by my Coach's previous owners. His response to appraising the motorhome was: "I do not do motorhomes" When I name dropped the previous owners he said, "well... bring it on in." He did not charge me, but I gave him $60 anyway because I figured "be good to people when they're good to you."

Since the appraisal, I have told him about my Solar, inverter, and miscellaneous upgrades, and he is willing to up the value again. When I asked why he said no to appraising it he said "Their value is too volatile and the market is too small." So the moral of the story. Find out who appraises them. Discuss with them, in person, what you have invested, original sticker price, and any upgrades. Negotiate the value, and pay them for their time.

For insurance, I would recommend using agreed value, and be prepared to pay through the nose after the "introductory low rate for the first year." Save the insurance bill, and compare to the next year a 3-10% increase is expected, but if it doubles... get a new company.

Original Sticker price on my coach was 154k in 1994. It was purchased new by a veteran. He traded in an airstream landyacht diesel pusher, he bought three years earlier, because he liked the classic, but he wanted a cummins/Allison powerplant in an airstream. When the Classic received the desired combo, he bought it so he and his wife could travel. Sadly she fell ill that summer after their first trip. She passed, and he could not bear to part with it until much later. He sold it to the next owners who mentioned how nice he was. I sadly came across his obituary. The man was a war hero in WWII and Korea, retired as a 1 Star General, but he and his wife never had children.

The next owners started in Airstreams at a young age with a 16ft bambi, and every few years upgraded, then jumped to a 310 classic, followed by a 345, a 350, and finally our coach. They were active in the WBCCI, and eventually attained the status of President and First Lady. If you look closely, you can still see the residue of a vinyl "AIRSTREAM ONE" on the side of the coach below the DD artwork.

I say all this because the value in these coaches will not be appreciated by others. Understand it is not an investment, it will not appreciate, and you will lose money. However, you gain a phenomenal experience. That said, it is critical to do an appraisal, and work with an insurance company that will protect your perceived asset.
__________________
1994 36' Classic Diesel Pusher
Vycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #1780
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,731
I apologize for taking this thread off topic and bringing up the insurance discussion. I
guess "value" and selling price is what got me started...anyway, sorry for that and now we ought to get back to "Classic Motorhomes for sale".

Mike
__________________

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any 20ft Argosy Mohos out there? fabofabo Airstream Motorhome Forums 3 07-16-2004 03:06 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.