Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #1135
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
I'd actually be partial to a low mileage moho. I purchased mine in solid running condition and am very pleased with it. However, I'm not so concerned with the mechanicals of the unit. At 30-40 years of age pretty much every mechanical component will have to be gone through, or at least inspected and noted. Regardless of mileage. I don't think it ever ends really. Considering that, I'd shoot for a very nice interior. Things that can't be easily fixed, replaced or purchased at Napa. Of all the things to mess with on a motorhome, the driveline is the easiest, in my humble opinion. Trying to source out large, deteriorated plastic panels, or ABS bumpers that are in good shape.. impossible.
I couldn't agree more. Give a me a good interior and good body to go with all of the ABS plastic attachments in good condition and the rest is a piece of cake
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #1136
Rivet Master

 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 712
Classic MoHos for sale?

Drove by a 345LE for sale on the side of the road. I believe it's the one I've seen camping in the woods near Mesic Michigan a couple times so it might be roadworthy. No listing on Craigslist or local adds. It's on Highway 55 just west of 37 between Manistee and Cadillac. Way out in the pickers!
__________________

__________________
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #1137
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
Tampa Bay Back In Here - 1988 345

1988 Airstream 345

Looks like a bargain at $15K, with a lot of work done. Unfortunately someone who got bored halfway through their polishing project Plenty of work for someone else now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	88 1.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	250515

Click image for larger version

Name:	88 2.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	250516

Click image for larger version

Name:	88 3.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	250517
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #1138
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,637
There appears to be half a dozen or so 345 up for sale at the moment; and with the Giants not playing until tomorrow I couldn't help but let my imagination wander for 5mins...

So "what would I do with a 345 if I bought one?"

5mins of Paintshop, moving stuff around, and guess what I came up with.



Sorry guys....couldn't help myself!
__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #1139
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post

5mins of Paintshop, moving stuff around, and guess what I came up with.



Sorry guys....couldn't help myself!
Sacrilege

Actually I like it. I would tow it behind for the MIL. Mine is highly MIL-itarized.
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #1140
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,516
Brings a whole new meaning to the term......bobbitized.

I think Martin's hanging around the Appalachian Mountains a bit too much as is a bit more redneck than he's letting on, as I could see him saying, "Dang it! I juss not building a bigger chicken coop to put it in.".

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #1141
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
ViewRVs's Avatar
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,220
Images: 9
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Let me clarify a few things on the Argosy 20 units.

Underneath the raised floor is the 4k generator. The frame for the generator box is a steel frame.

Both of the Roto-Dinette seats have (lap) seat belts that bolt down into the steel frame. Each bench has two seat belts. There is a slot in the fold of the bench where the belts slide through.

Here is a blog post I did with the Roto-Dinette arrangements.
The Airstream Argosy Roto-Dinette! | ViewRVs.com RV Blog

Each Roto-dinette seat has a very heavy steel frame and drops into a steel post also bolted to that steel frame.

The main disadvantage to the Roto-Dinette is the lack of head and neck support in the event of an accident.

Yes, the Roto-Dinette is a factory creation and not a custom solution.

Like every RV model and floorplan, each person has their own needs/preferences and thus a favorite. While some may not like it, this floorplan gives you lots of options in a very small space. The Argosy 20 can also go just about anywhere.
__________________
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
Fred's Airstream Archives @ ViewRVs.com
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #1142
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewRVs View Post
Let me clarify a few things on the Argosy 20 units.

Underneath the raised floor is the 4k generator. The frame for the generator box is a steel frame.

Both of the Roto-Dinette seats have (lap) seat belts that bolt down into the steel frame. Each bench has two seat belts. There is a slot in the fold of the bench where the belts slide through.

Here is a blog post I did with the Roto-Dinette arrangements.
The Airstream Argosy Roto-Dinette! | ViewRVs.com RV Blog

Each Roto-dinette seat has a very heavy steel frame and drops into a steel post also bolted to that steel frame.

The main disadvantage to the Roto-Dinette is the lack of head and neck support in the event of an accident.

Yes, the Roto-Dinette is a factory creation and not a custom solution.

Like every RV model and floorplan, each person has their own needs/preferences and thus a favorite. While some may not like it, this floorplan gives you lots of options in a very small space. The Argosy 20 can also go just about anywhere.
Fred... thanks for that. That's a great set of photos in your link, and you've just about changed my mind! Now I see the logic behind the floorplan.

The only thing that would still give me some reservations is the big drop alongside that raised floor on the right side. If the raised floor continued across the unit to just for'ard of the door, then that would make more sense, but then I suppose there would be a very low ceiling.

If I found one in that kind of shape it would be hard to resist though.
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #1143
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I think Martin's hanging around the Appalachian Mountains a bit too much as is a bit more redneck than he's letting on, as I could see him saying, "Dang it! I juss not building a bigger chicken coop to put it in.".

Cheers
Tony
Hey, I live right on the western edge of the Appalachian plateau! However I'm not a native of Kentucky but I DO like the people and the area

And yes there are some backwoods rednecks out there and they all have their ATVs.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #1144
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,637
....I was in BassPro looking at ATVs at the weekend; seems I have been rumbled!
__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #1145
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,257
Well, after living in the United States for a while it was bound to happen
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #1146
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
ViewRVs's Avatar
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,220
Images: 9
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Fred... thanks for that. That's a great set of photos in your link, and you've just about changed my mind! Now I see the logic behind the floorplan.

The only thing that would still give me some reservations is the big drop alongside that raised floor on the right side. If the raised floor continued across the unit to just for'ard of the door, then that would make more sense, but then I suppose there would be a very low ceiling.

If I found one in that kind of shape it would be hard to resist though.
What you are missing is that there is also storage UNDER the couch (three large pull out trays) and under the Roto-Dinette (since the generator box does not take up the entire space. If you built the floor straight across, you'd lose both valuable storage spaces. Airstream used almost every square inch of the Argosy 20. Every space has a purpose!
__________________
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
Fred's Airstream Archives @ ViewRVs.com
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #1147
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewRVs View Post
What you are missing is that there is also storage UNDER the couch (three large pull out trays) and under the Roto-Dinette (since the generator box does not take up the entire space. If you built the floor straight across, you'd lose both valuable storage spaces. Airstream used almost every square inch of the Argosy 20. Every space has a purpose!
Is the access to the generator on the inside or the outside of the vehicle? I have seen pictures of this configuration, I believe, but not noticed an outside door or drawer.

Was it only the 24' Argosies that had the generator in the rear on sliders?
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #1148
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Is the access to the generator on the inside or the outside of the vehicle? I have seen pictures of this configuration, I believe, but not noticed an outside door or drawer.

Was it only the 24' Argosies that had the generator in the rear on sliders?
It's more down to layout than size....rear-baths have generators to the side, rear-beds tend to have generators in the rear; and later models have slides.
__________________

__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 Airstream Classic 34 LIMITED Trailer - Own a Classic! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 01-31-2012 10:10 AM
Classic 1958 Overlander Airstream !!! LOW RESERVE FOR THIS RARE CLASSIC !!! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 01-08-2012 09:50 PM
Classic vs Classic limited Flying Gypsies 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths) 13 10-15-2011 07:37 PM
2011 Classic Limited 30 :: 2011 Airstream Classic Limited Wyndridge2 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 09:32 AM
Classic -vs- Classic Limited 10Smiles Dollars & Cents 11 06-22-2011 09:33 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.