Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
That thing is so sweet!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #142
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
RATS! I paid a lot more for my 310 turbo diesel. Now mind you, no pics of the interior and needs a lot of TLC usually means........$$$$$$$, but still a turbo diesel 325. How many of those out there?

Used 1985 Airstream Classic 325 RV For Sale In GUELPH ON - autoTRADER.ca
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
It might be a sweet coach but for the extra foot and a half that tag axle will bring a lot more problems than it's worth. I'd choose your 2 axle 310 anytime. I firmly believe simple is better.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #144
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
It might be a sweet coach but for the extra foot and a half that tag axle will bring a lot more problems than it's worth. I'd choose your 2 axle 310 anytime. I firmly believe simple is better.

Cheers, Dan
Except, you can't beat the quality of the ride you get with a tag axle...
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
Except, you can't beat the quality of the ride you get with a tag axle...
I think you are qualified to comment Peter having owned both!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #146
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I just returned from 130 mile roundtrip with the 345 in the Texas Hill country. Winding roads, grades, Deer, unexpected windgusts and crazy drivers. I drove the same route countless times with my 28 footer. Both vehicles were in top mechanical condition, suspension, air bags etc. This is what I noticed:
The 28' footer always needed compensation which seemed to be originated in the the rear. I know this sounds funny, but that the best way I can describe it. The 345 sits firmly on his 6 feet in the rear and just kindly follows what I do in the front. The difference in ride quality is so amazing that I would sometimes forget the 30' behind me. The 28' never let me forget its tail. Just one Nuts observations...
AIR #13
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #147
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
I, like Peter, have driven a 345 and my Argosy 20'. I have to admit that as you sit in the driver's seat, there is very little difference between the 345 and the 20'. The 345 does drive like a dream and was rock solid steady on the road. You almost forget how long that coach is.

There is one area where the Argosy 20' is superior. I'll drag race Peter any time he wants! The acceleration on the 20' with the same 454/T400 is hard to beat! Zooooooom!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #148
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985air345 View Post
There is one area where the Argosy 20' is superior. I'll drag race Peter any time he wants! The acceleration on the 20' with the same 454/T400 is hard to beat! Zooooooom!
Hmmm, Fred really does like tag axles....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fred01.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	174262  
AIR #13
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
My maiden voyage of 1600 miles with my 345 was done as a virgin MH driver... never driven ANYTHING like it before.
We drove over mountains, in vicious cross winds, and I hussled the beast in a "Spirited way" across some B roads with good visibility once I got comfortable.
I always felt like the front end was odd... it seemed to pivot and be centered around the rear axles... Any wind gusts or passing trucks made the front wander, and over crests it felt like riding on the front of a V hull boat thru heavy swells under power... the only worry was it would crash into the bumpstops...

When I got home I found that there was ZERO air in the front airbags.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Wheelbase, weight, a tag axle, and overhang all have an effect on ride and handling. I'm just saying the additional hardware, complexity and cost of a tag axle is something I would avoid if I could. The reason in the first place, for a tag axle or any additional axle is to carry additional weight. If you exceed the weight capacity of the axles, you either use higher capacity axles or add more axles. I prefer heavy duty equipment rather than additional light duty stuff. But that is just my opinion and as they say it's worth what you paid for it.

Cheers, Dan
Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I do agree with you Dan...
That Tag axle, its extra tires, brakes etc, is maybe not worth the extra 36"...
If I had my choice again, I would choose a 310... with the Diesel!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
I do agree with you Dan...
That Tag axle, its extra tires, brakes etc, is maybe not worth the extra 36"...
If I had my choice again, I would choose a 310... with the Diesel!
Do I detect a bit of frugality showing itself there Key? Actually I really do like the 280 from an access point of view. I travel with friends with a 34' and 37' SOB's and you would be amazed at how many places I can get into that they cannot. The thing that I really dislike about the 280 is the rear bath. I dislike the twin beds but the real problem is the plastic waste tanks and plumbing are really vulnerable hanging at the rear of the coach. There are scrape marks on the bottom of everything back there.

Cheers, Dan
Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #153
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Same here.

Dan,
I too dislike the rear bath and mid twins. They were ok when my two boys and I used the coach all the time for whatever we did together, even though the gaucho never did sit well with my back and height.
Now I wouldn't mind having a rear queen walk around and mid bath, in a 1996 Classic diesel!
I may be streaming to Kirkland at the end of the month. It takes me two days to drive there and I hole up at 7 Feathers on the way. Haven't been on a trip like this for a while and I'm still tentative since I'm used to instant gratification these days (flying), rather than long road trips.
Anyway, mine is for trade for a newer Classic if anyone hears anything.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodokk View Post
Dan,
I too dislike the rear bath and mid twins. They were ok when my two boys and I used the coach all the time for whatever we did together, even though the gaucho never did sit well with my back and height.
Now I wouldn't mind having a rear queen walk around and mid bath, in a 1996 Classic diesel!
I may be streaming to Kirkland at the end of the month. It takes me two days to drive there and I hole up at 7 Feathers on the way. Haven't been on a trip like this for a while and I'm still tentative since I'm used to instant gratification these days (flying), rather than long road trips.
Anyway, mine is for trade for a newer Classic if anyone hears anything.

If you are coming to Kirkland drop in for a visit, we are just on the other side of the sound, much more calm and peaceful over here.

I guess everybody's travel needs vary but traveling as a couple I do prefer a single bed. Ten or twenty years from now that may change but for now I like company in bed. As to the rear bath I don't mind the location as much as the vulnerability of the tanks and plumbing. I have hit the valves twice where it moved them enough to cause a leak. I was able to loosen the clamps and reposition the plumbing enough to stop the leak, not a fun job. Another solution would be to move the rear axle back 18" to 24" increasing the wheelbase. This would really help the ride and cut down the overhang so you are not dragging all the time. You wouldn't be able to cut the corners as sharp but that would be a minor inconvenience for all that you would gain. I guess for now it just wishful thinking.

Cheers, Dan
Old 12-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #155
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We've had a 280 and it was bouncy and hard to control. If we had kept it long enough, I might have found out that the suspension was shot from day one. After $$$, Bess tracks like I can take a nap, now that that the front and rear suspension have been upgraded. It was a stupid design flaw in thinking a bread truck chassis could support the prolly 16 thousand pound weight ( + the rock collection the wife collected).
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #156
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I've never driven a tag axle motor home but I have driven some P30s that waddled down the road like a duck. After 2000 miles in Alaska I never could get comfortable driving them. Both spring and airbag models. My 360 on the Spartan EC2000 is far superior in handling and ride even though its on leaf springs. Lots of weight in the rear due to the engine location. Its very stable and comfortable to drive. I would like to convert it to air ride but haven't had much luck finding the components. It came with either leafs or Reyco Granning air ride as an option.

I did drive a new Sun Cruiser 32H and have to say that there is no comparison between and it and anything else I've driven including my 360.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #157
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Wheelbase, weight, a tag axle, and overhang all have an effect on ride and handling. I'm just saying the additional hardware, complexity and cost of a tag axle is something I would avoid if I could. The reason in the first place, for a tag axle or any additional axle is to carry additional weight. If you exceed the weight capacity of the axles, you either use higher capacity axles or add more axles. I prefer heavy duty equipment rather than additional light duty stuff. But that is just my opinion and as they say it's worth what you paid for it.

Cheers, Dan
I understand the benefits of a tag axle, stability and all but I agree with Dan; the extra 11/2 ft of the 325 versus the 310 is not worth the extra 2000+lbs of weight the 200 hp turbo diesel would have to drag around, let alone the extra cost in mpg and tires/maintenance.
I do like the rear convertible lounge in our 310 as we have a young family and it increases the everyday living space, so I passed on the 325.
I would've liked to take a look at it, but was reluctant to call and waste the sellers time. Maybe if it's still for sale over the holidays I will call.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Still wondering how many 310s AS made from, what, '79 to '84?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I've never driven a tag axle motor home but I have driven some P30s that waddled down the road like a duck. After 2000 miles in Alaska I never could get comfortable driving them. Both spring and airbag models. My 360 on the Spartan EC2000 is far superior in handling and ride even though its on leaf springs. Lots of weight in the rear due to the engine location. Its very stable and comfortable to drive. I would like to convert it to air ride but haven't had much luck finding the components. It came with either leafs or Reyco Granning air ride as an option.

I did drive a new Sun Cruiser 32H and have to say that there is no comparison between and it and anything else I've driven including my 360.
I think one of the things overlooked here is 30 years of technology. The P-30 was probably state of the art 30 plus years ago. It was designed as a truck to carry cargo. Then some RV companies came along and built this traveling home on this "truck." I don't expect my P-30 to drive like a new Porsche, but it has safely and reasonably comfortably taken me and it's previous owners down more than 160,000 miles of highway. It is not real hard to upgrade the ride and handling of a 30 year old vehicle but there is not enough volume to develop and manufacture components for such an upgrade and make any money. Maybe I've just spent too much time around old vehicles but I enjoy them and I enjoy my vintage Airstream Moho.

Cheers, Dan
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #160
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:

I don't expect my P-30 to drive like a new Porsche, but it has safely and reasonably comfortably taken me and it's previous owners down more than 160,000 miles of highway.

Cheers, Dan
Not to mention, super cheap and plentifull parts with mechanics in every town who know how to work on the P30. I'd hate to get stranded in an AS Merc diesel B class. The driveshaft is over $2,000.00 for that buggy alone, let alone PCM's, ABS and sensors.