Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Classic -DIESEL 360 heater core removal

OK, this is a longshot with so few of these out there, but the heater core on the 1995 360 diesel I bought earlier this year (CUMMINS on a Spartan chassis) is leaking and I am contemplating repair. Its previous owner had an estimate of 12 hours work to take it apart (ouch $$$). I am very mechanically inclined but it looks to be an ugly job. Removal of the kick panel to see it got me no where. It appears that access is through the front nose and in VERY limited space with several of the screws completely hidden.

Anyone out there done this job on one of these? My old 345's looks almost easy by comparison.....

Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Sounds like a bummer of a job. Have you called over to Can Am to ask what the process might be? Perhaps the factory can help a little. You must be able to access this from the cab - right?

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
I haven't talked to CAN AM as it does not appear they ever sold one here. The rig continues to attract attention at rallies here as no one had ever seen one of the diesel pusher classics here in Ontario at least.

The core does not appear to be accessible from inside the cab. I can see no way to remove the entire heater casing from inside (only its back is visible) and the only way to split the casing to get at the core is from through the nose. A real pain in limited space with many of the screws that hold the casing together only reachable by feel. I am contemplating drafting my 16 year old son with his more flexible limbs and better eyesight to tackle this job as a "learning experience" !

Of course I could just leave it bypassed and run generator with A/C heater elements or the furnace if I want heat while moving,(but I don't like running furnaces while on the road) I certainly would prefer using the dash heat and having proper defrost capability here in the Great White North !

John
Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
John -
How about removing the whole unit, casing and all, before trying to take iot apart to get at the core? That's what we had to do with the '84 310. It removes from the front by taking out the headlight assembly.
Jamie
Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
John,
I can imagine it gets a lot of attention. as far as I can remember they only made a few of the pusher 360's. Very VERY nice coach - but obviously a little harder to get information about these days.

I would bet a call to the factory would help. When I took my 345 to Jackson Center for a window replacement (because none of the AS dealers near me had riveting tools ????) I learned more in two hours abobut my coach my just talking to the mechanics than I ever could have on my own. Lot's of little "tricks" which cut repair time down considerably.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Jamie, I really like the idea of taking out the entire unit, just haven't found a way to even accomplish this yet. Would also require opening the airconditioning lines, although I am beginning to suspect that will be necessary anyway.

Steven, I think you are right, a chat with the factory is in order. Only wish I had thought to inquire when I was at Jackson Centre earlier this year as I brought it back. I picked up lots of pieces but didn't think to discuss the heater repair (I guess I figured removal would be fairly obvious...)

Anyway, I just winterized the unit last weekend so this "project" will probably be put off until the spring now.

Thanks for the good suggestions !
John
Old 11-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Christmas Valley , Oregon
Greetings! from Newport, Oregon! I went out and looked at my heater. I see the problem, but didn't learn much. However; I will be doing repairs in this area this winter and if I discover anything, I'll let you know. Stay warm. Doesel Phil and Sam
Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Springfield , Ohio
360 Heater Core Problem

Since you intend to bypass the unit, why don;t you simply locate the incoming and output hoses and trace them back to someplace where you can cut them and couple them together?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #9

North Logan , Utah
I have a leaking heater core on my 94 Classic also, this threat is old, I wonder if anyone found out anything??

Thanks, Blair
Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Blair, I talked to a few folks and all confirmed it was a very difficult job. So difficult in fact that they scared me off (and I am a fairly accomplished mechanic who thinks nothing of pulling an engine out of many vehicles)

I bypassed the unit as I don't run in the winter, put a battery operated fan on the dash to assist with any defogging, and run the genset and overhead heating elements in my airconditioners if I need some heat. Works OK for spring and fall but I would not want to try and go anywhere during a cold Canadian winter.

May have a look again this summer when I can afford to give up an entire weekend !

Good luck !