Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Surprise , Arizona
Update: finally got a couple hours to tinker. I've discovered the Diverter Valve is bad, it's stuck in the open position and applied vacuum doesn't close it. It's discontinued everywhere I've called so far. Plus, the TRC Solenoid Control Valve is broken and causing a vacuum leak. Also discontinued! I believe the diverter valve to be the main cause of the failing emissions.
To answer previous posts... The carb is rebuilt correctly, and I have used Phx carbs and Rods Carbs before. Both did good work.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Update: finally got a couple hours to tinker. I've discovered the Diverter Valve is bad, it's stuck in the open position and applied vacuum doesn't close it. It's discontinued everywhere I've called so far. Plus, the TRC Solenoid Control Valve is broken and causing a vacuum leak. Also discontinued! I believe the diverter valve to be the main cause of the failing emissions.
To answer previous posts... The carb is rebuilt correctly, and I have used Phx carbs and Rods Carbs before. Both did good work.
Good that you are figuring this out!

If you had not seen it, there is an Emissions thread running over in the engines section that might help ya!
Here is how the smog pump, diverter and TRC valve should be set up.

FYI , my junkyard find smog pump diverter valve also is failed... applying vacuum does not do a thing..
I found that RockAuto lists one for a 1984 P30...
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 7D1097, GM#17062646, or DV108 and list it at $151 or so.

The TRC valve I have works...
I apply 12v and it clicks and opens the valve, allowing vacuum to flow.
Let me know if you cannot find one, and I will see if I can find you a used one!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Are they cast iron manifolds or are they stainless manifolds? I have a set from the 86 345 that I dismantled that appear to be stainless but shaped like a cast iron manifold. I believe one or both had diverter valves. I never really looked that close at them.

If you're interested and would like pictures I can snap a few and post them.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Brad,
I think the Diverter valve Surprise is refering to, in this case is the one on the top of the smog pump.
The one on the smog pipework on the exhaust manifold is just a non-return vave to stop the exhaust geting back into the AIR injection pump etc.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Brad,
I think the Diverter valve Surprise is refering to, in this case is the one on the top of the smog pump.
The one on the smog pipework on the exhaust manifold is just a non-return vave to stop the exhaust geting back into the AIR injection pump etc.
That just tells you what I know about smog & emissions crap

It seems like I have a valve like that sitting in the parts pile of stuff that I removed from the 345. First chance I get I'll see if it is there.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote