Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
The weather is warm and we just couldn't stand it anymore! Went to get E from storage this morning. I do need to take and post some photos as I get things put back together. We are considering not using the icemaker because of concerns about the water quality in the tank. You just don't know how much rust etc is in the source. But we are still learning and may change our minds later. To our chagrin, there are a number of cracks showing up in the overhead bins. She just nevefr lived in the north and I think the climate change may have had an effect. I try to ignore them for now. There are some posts re: fixes that we will look into down the road. I did use Krylon to freshen the inside of the med cabinet, toilet platform and the ABS entertainment center. Those came out very nice.

Was Al the PO? Seems many of us honor them by giving their name to our coaches. We got E from a dear man named Ernest in SC

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Yay for you! It is exciting getting things fixed up. So Krylon worked on the inside of the medicine cabinet? Was that the plastic formula spray paint, or the regular? And sorry about your overhead bin cracks--we have some cracking on the bathroom wall panels (not too bad) and a little bit on the bins but not much. The way to stop an existing crack is to drill a small hole at the end of it, so it can't expand from the original crack. You can then plug the hole and seal/paint the crack to make it look better. There are several plastic welding products I have been wondering about, to see if they might fill cracks and such.

Actually, we called ours Al since it is the abbreviation for Aluminum! There were so many Silver Sausages and Silver Twinkies and such out there that we wanted something a little different. That's sweet you named yours after her PO!

Susan

Old 02-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Great find! After having a classic motorhome for 5 years or so, the trials you went through are quite common. We took a three week trip in ours and had a burnt wire to the starter and an a/c breakdown in 95 degree heat. But the trip was great!
On a trip to Charleston, SC we had all the lights go out at night on a fairly desolate highway. The generator kept the batteries up, but the alternator was gone. Freaked us out driving in the dark. Had my brain been turned on I would have put the lights on my tow car, on.
But here's the good part- in the 5 yrs of travel those were the only real problems we had. I found good preparation was 95% of the deal. Heat resistant spark plug wires, regular oil and trans maintenance, maint. on the genny too, and lots of spare fuses and such,, and our travels were smooth.
Wishing you the best.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Groveland , Massachusetts
A very nice find indeed. We are in the midst of a major interior renovation on our 82 310 Sammie (named for the PO) which we picked up in November and drove home from Houston TX to Boston with only a few problems (flat tire and elec problems). We are having the seats and couch reupholstered, new curtains from Silver Threads (another forum member who is reasonable and does quality work), hardwood flooring, new captains chairs, changing the microwave to a micro/convectin oven, and replacing the old univolt. All to be done by April. Whew!!!! We hope you enjoy taking care of Al as much as we do Sammie. Good Luck.

Joy, Mark, Eric & Speck
1982 310 Motorhome (Sammie)
AIR #8361
Alumi-Naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Alansd,

We're definitely not newcomers to the trials and tribulations of owning an older used mh

With our previous 1983 mh we were traveling through Detroit and hit some horribly rough roads on the interstate and the engine started cutting out on us periodically. We stopped near the Henry Ford museum and I bypassed the fuel filter to see if that was plugged. It started right up so we went straight to the museum and then afterwards wanted to get out of Detroit as fast as we could and find a replacement filter as well. We didn't get more than a couple of miles down the road and found that they had closed I-94 (on a Sunday for work) and were routing ALL traffic through inner city Detroit. Well wouldn't you know it the mh cut out on us as and worse I was in the left lane and sitting at in the middle of the road dead. This road had traffic backed up for miles To get out of the predicament I pulled the engine cover, gave Susan the starter fluid and when an opening to the right showed up she sprayed it with starter fluid while tried starting the engine, we were able to lurch to curbside where there was actually room for us (the first of several minor miracles that were to follow). So here we are on a Sunday afternoon in inner city Detroit with a broken down mh and Susan's race car on the trailer in back. Needless to say we were both a little on the nervous side

Thatís when the oddest sequence of events started to unfold. What appeared to be a wino stopped by and asked if we needed help, we asked about auto parts stores and we were basically informed they were either all closed or a long way away. He then wandered off while Susan and I debated our future. A few minutes later he came back and asked if we needed a ride to a parts store. We said sure and he pointed to someone in a newer Dodge Ram pickup sitting in a business driveway right behind us. He said that guy would take me to a parts store. I told Susan to lock the door and be careful and I headed off with the guy in the pickup. Turns out the pickup owner owned the rundown looking antique store we were parked by. He ended up taking me to two different parts stores where I bought fuel line, a fuel pump and some filters. Got back to the mh and proceeded to replace the pump, bypassed the suction line from the fuel tank and used the generator suction line instead. After these fixes the engine fired right up

To top it all of the store owner wouldn't accept any money from us (although I did manage to buy him a Dodge Ram hat at the parts store) and he, in his pickup and another friend of his in a second pickup proceeded to lead us to the interstate via the back roads. Wow!

The wino turned out to be somewhat of a watch guard for the antique store and informed the owner that we needed help. Needless to say if there was ever a guardian angel we found one that day

Susan and I will be forever thankful to those three gentlemen for getting us out of a real predicament.

Just a side note, the actual damaged that occured was cracking of the dry rotted fuel lines on top of the fuel tank. Fortunately the generator feed line wasn't damaged in all the jarring form the horrible road we had been on and by tapping into it I was able to get a supply of fuel to the engine.

Brad
Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brad and Susan,
Welcome! Great story and very impressive on several levels; mainly, you were well prepared and two you both know your way around motorhomes. Glad to have you.

We've owned our 345 for four years now and love it. Looks like you found a real keeper.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Brad and Susan:
Welcome to the Classic AS Moho family. That's a great looking unit. In May we will have owned our 345 for two years. We had some small electrical and mechanical issues over the course of our first four or five outings. Nothing drastic, just annoying. Now, everytime we go out we remark on how problem free this 22 year old coach is. We wouldn't trade it for anything and plan on keeping it until we can no longer use it.
I enjoyed your story about "inner city Detroit" and your positive outcome. I think this speaks to the misconceptions and generalizations we all tend to make. We had always heard terrible horror stories about the Federales in Mexico. The only time that our coach broke down on the road, we were in Mexico. We had sheared a bolt on the alternator and lost all of the belts. I had spare belts, but no bolt. It was a pair of Mexican Federal Police officers who stopped and assisted us. They allowed us to use their cell phone (ours couldn't get a signal). In about two hours we had a mechanic on scene and were on our way. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Medicine cabinet..

Yes, it was the Krylon for plastic. I had read some good things here on the forums, and gave it a try (just do a search under "Krylon"). I did take out the cabinet so I wouldn't have to worry about overspray. There are some potent solvents in Krylon, so you need to be very careful to ventilate. For the toilet base, we had the loo out for replacement, masked out the area, and my husband rigged an exhaust that pulled the fumes outside.

We have drilled some holes to stop some cracks. Chaplain Kent (a wonderful font of useful moho info) mentioned that the bins may be out of "square" and that getting that fixed may prevent future trouble and we can get to the repairs. We hope to meet him this spring and may learn more.

Love the Detroit story! Reminded me of the time we were driving in the mountains of Colorado in a '83 Peugeot (my husband had a Peugeot fetish for many years), and had engine trouble he couldn't fix. We came upon a true Peugeot repair station, in the mountains, in the middle of nowhere! (Cue the angelic chorus and lights beaming from above). They got us right back on the road, and we still remember it with utter amazement!

Al (uminum)...love it!!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
icemaker

We have a filter from the city water source and have never had any troulble or bad tasting ice from our icemaker. They were pretty amaizing coaches for their time!
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
wife's race car?

... ok, gotta see pics of that car! What a wife! My wife and I use to race indoor Karts for fun (I used to do SCCA autocross as well). My only chagrin was that she got faster than me!

Sigh... my ego's not that big.

Still saving up for the shifter carts (his and hers)
Marc
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
1967 Spitfire Vintage Racer "Tristan"

How funny--I started as an SCCA autocrosser, got into vintage racing and never looked back! I enjoyed it thoroughly, but to me, it just doesn't compare to wheel-to-wheel racing.

That's awesome about the shifter karts--I hope you get to fulfill your dream soon!

We will be towing this guy behind Big Al (our 310), probably starting in May when we go to an event at Road America. This is me at Mosport in Canada a couple years ago. That was the trip where the Winnebago broke down in Detroit...

Susan

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tower-shot.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	32905
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Cool!

You go girl! Any new news on the MH?
Marc
Old 02-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Water filter for icemaker...

We have a filter under the sink that runs to a dedicated spout, so it seems like a redundancy to use a filter from the city supply (if I am understanding you correctly). My husband was wondering if a filter could be attached just to the icemaker, like what we have for our home fridge water line.

This is all so ironic as we have nearly 1/4" of ice clinging to our windows from a treacherous winter storm in progress. Glad we got Ernestine back to her "bunker" yesterday!

Old 02-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Not a lot of new news on Big Al, but Brad took him to State Farm yesterday for them to inspect, and the only thing the guy noted was the pinstriping that was all shreddy up top!

Brad was checking out the soot deposit from the hot water heater and just came in and reported that it is burning clean now. I am guessing it just had junk in the chambers from sitting up for a while.

And it's very sad--we lost our beloved, sweet, goofy dog Wednesday afternoon to poisoning. The vet misdiagnosed and treated him for a bacterial infection. That has really put a damper on our joy with Big Al. Each day is a little better, but it still hurts so much.

We'll probably be putting work on Big Al on hold for a while so we can get the racecar fixed for our next race in March (think I lost the clutch in the last event). But we'll update as we have news! Thank you all for your enthusiastic support! It means a lot!

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote