Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Springfield , Ohio
Carrier low profile A/C questions

I'm very interested in replacing the OEM Delta TX roof airs with the new carrier low profile units. I'd also like to be able to run them both at the same time. Does anyone know if it's possible to power two units with 13.8 amps max draw with the Onan 6.5? I'm unable to find specs for the old Colemans.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWoodrow
I'm very interested in replacing the OEM Delta TX roof airs with the new carrier low profile units. I'd also like to be able to run them both at the same time. Does anyone know if it's possible to power two units with 13.8 amps max draw with the Onan 6.5? I'm unable to find specs for the old Colemans.
JK,

It's definitely possible. Pat370 has a 370LE, and he did some minor modifications at the electric box in the generator compartment to do just that. Contact him. He'll be glad to tell you how to rewire to do that. As far as the specs for the Colemans, look at Dean's literature. He bought his unit from a real fine guy who kept all the papers.

Best,

AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

No problem.

I run both Coleman A/C units from my Onan 6.5 all of the time. It works fine. The Generator has one 20 amp circuit and one 30 amp circuit. The A/C units are wired so that each is on a separate generator output circuit. The new low profile units draw even less current so should be no problem. Remember you need a lot more current to start the A/C units then to run them.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Lefkowitz
I run both Coleman A/C units from my Onan 6.5 all of the time. It works fine. The Generator has one 20 amp circuit and one 30 amp circuit. The A/C units are wired so that each is on a separate generator output circuit. The new low profile units draw even less current so should be no problem. Remember you need a lot more current to start the A/C units then to run them.

Howard,

Did you do the wiring in the generator compartment to set up each AC unit on a separate circuit? I know there are two circuits outputting from the generator, and the trick is to do a little wiring alteration so you can have each of the two (20A, and 30A) plugged from the two AC units at the same time. As I've mentioned before, Pat370 has done that with his 370LE, and is more than willing to explain it to anyone interested. Anyone interested should PM him. He's a big help.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 12-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I Have only run both when operating from the Onan generator. I am familiar with the wiring that allows you to separate the two circuits and run them from two 20 amp circuits. I have been using a different approach when hooked up to 110 VAC. I have a pulser system I purchased from Camping World a number of years ago. It allows you to turn on both A/C units in pulse mode. This runs each one in turn which does a pretty fair job of cooling the entire coach. I have a 345 and have never had the need to run them both simultaneously.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Howard,

I misunderstood what you were doing. I never needed both simultaneously either, but there are areas of the country where people do need to do that, and have accomplished it by altering the wiring in the generator compartment so that the rear unit is actually plugged into the 20 amp side of the output. They can then manually plug in that circuit whenever they need to run both from the generator. This was only for use with the generator. The only way to do that when hooked up to 110 VAC was to have a land connection with two SEPARATE outlets of (typically) 30 amp and 20 amp. Of course, it's important to be sure the land box isn't wired by splitting a single 30 amp input into two circuits. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Best,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Lefkowitz
I Have only run both when operating from the Onan generator. I am familiar with the wiring that allows you to separate the two circuits and run them from two 20 amp circuits. I have been using a different approach when hooked up to 110 VAC. I have a pulser system I purchased from Camping World a number of years ago. It allows you to turn on both A/C units in pulse mode. This runs each one in turn which does a pretty fair job of cooling the entire coach. I have a 345 and have never had the need to run them both simultaneously.
AIR # 5648
Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Springfield , Ohio
Running both A/C units

Thanks for the responses. My unit has a large switch (in a cabinet over the stove) that allows you to select front A/C, rear A/C, microwave, open circuit or maybe one other thing - individually. No option for coupling both A/C units.
Any suggestions?

Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Running both AC units

JK,

Good to see your name on the Forum! How's the 345 doing?

If you'll drop PAT370 an email, he'll give you his phone number. You can then call him, and he'll give you the details of how to do this. He's done it so he can run both with the gen set, or with land power if the hookup box has two circuits, i.e. 30A and 20A, or 50A.

Tell Dean I'd love to hear something from him.

Best,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWoodrow
Thanks for the responses. My unit has a large switch (in a cabinet over the stove) that allows you to select front A/C, rear A/C, microwave, open circuit or maybe one other thing - individually. No option for coupling both A/C units.
Any suggestions?

AIR # 5648