Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #1

1984 27' Airstream 270
Perth , Western Australia
Captain Chair Switch

Hi all, We are chasing the electric switch to operate one of the front Captain chairs for our 1984 Airstream. can anyone help?
Steve Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lou View Post
Hi all, We are chasing the electric switch to operate one of the front Captain chairs for our 1984 Airstream. can anyone help?
Steve,

Probably your best bet is to take the switch to a place like Napa and see if they can find something in their catalog to match. I vaguely remember them possibly being something out of a Chevy or Cadillac from the 80s but I could easily be wrong. What I've found is Airstream used parts from various automotive manufactures to build these coaches. A prime example is the dash A/C control panel. Its an early to mid 80s Chrysler product.

If you do manage to find the right unit please post that info for others to benefit from.

I got lucky and got a replacement switch and cover from a forum member who no longer needed it. Sure made my day .

Good luck and keep us posted.

Brad
PS, looks like this is my 1000th post
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I will repeat this mantra as often as is necessary:
do not...do not...mention airstream in a quest for parts...take out/off the offending part and submit it to the auto parts store as a need-to-replace item...gm is a good place to start, chevy is second, and it is a 454...not an airstream...it is a p30 or p32 chassis, not an airstream..."airstream" will cost you a few days, and often a negative response...they will call jackson center...the price, if available, just went up...think bread truck or delivery van...not gracious, but i slept in an airstream moho last night, and i slept quite comfortably, as did most of you all(i hope!!!)
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Molino , Florida
I found a 6 way switch in a junk yard for a 1994 dp seats IKE
uism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Bridgeton , New Jersey
Smile power switch

The power switch on my pass. seat stopped working. I spent about an hour taking it apart and I cleaned the 4 contact points inside. I put it back together and it works great
hoff706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Mine started a fire with the self reseting breakers on the chair, the switch shorted out and the breakers kept putting power back to the motor. Lucky for us we were there and pulled the breaker:-(
This happened 6 months ago it almost burned are cat that was sitting on top of the chair:-)
I am installing a long blow fuse on the circuit to prevent a recurrence
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
.think bread truck or delivery van...not gracious, but i slept in an airstream moho last night, and i slept quite comfortably, as did most of you all(i hope!!!)
True stuff. I thought I had a broken valve spring and pulled into a GMC/Isuzu dealership in Phoenix. The white coat "advisor" w/many pens in his pocket came out and crossed his fingers in the "X" sign. I asked him why he could not service the engine, even though if it said "Wonder Bread" on the side it would be no big deal. He explained that my engine was an "industrial" version and the mechanics were scared they'd screw it up. Up here in the PNW, Isuzu is used in most fishing boats to power the gen sets; parts and expertise are no problem.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote