Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Airstream 310 with air in the brake lines--boring with moments of sheer terror.
Less boring is blowing a power steering hose at 60 mph.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #42
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Check this beast out!!!!! It will run a 1/2" impact gun WITHOUT a tank!

Oasis XD3000 Air Compressor

Comes in 12V and 24V.

Kinda looks like an Airstream OEM unit.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Check this beast out!!!!! It will run a 1/2" impact gun WITHOUT a tank!

Oasis XD3000 Air Compressor

Comes in 12V and 24V.

Kinda looks like an Airstream OEM unit.
That is a beast alright. My heart might recover from the price tag shock but the batteries will take a bit longer to recover from the 180 amp power draw. I didn't see a duty cycle rating, I wonder if it overheats before it runs the battery dry.

I guess I'm just old school but an old breaker bar and socket works fine for me.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #44
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
That is a beast alright. My heart might recover from the price tag shock but the batteries will take a bit longer to recover from the 180 amp power draw. I didn't see a duty cycle rating, I wonder if it overheats before it runs the battery dry.

I guess I'm just old school but an old breaker bar and socket works fine for me.

Cheers, Dan
From what I read the 180 amp draw is a micro second thing at start up. The 24 volt one does reduce that significantly but it could be a hassle converting the 12 volt to 24. Probably wouldn't have to worry about wearing it out though.

Cheers
Tony
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #45
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just throwing another one out there. This one is rugged and falls inbetween a Vair 450 and the Oasis in output.

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
That is another beast of a pump. I'm just curious are you planing on operating a roadside repair shop? These pumps advertise the ability to run a 1/2" rattle gun. About the only thing I can think of might be to change a flat tire if you choose to do so rather than call the road service. I've only changed one tire in about 40,000 miles on the highway and I re-torqued it myself because the road service guy didn't have a clue what he was doing. I do carry a torque wrench and check the lugs periodically.

Maybe you are the "Tim The Tool Man" type where bigger is better. If so more power to you. I was just wondering.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #47
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
That is another beast of a pump. I'm just curious are you planing on operating a roadside repair shop? These pumps advertise the ability to run a 1/2" rattle gun. About the only thing I can think of might be to change a flat tire if you choose to do so rather than call the road service. I've only changed one tire in about 40,000 miles on the highway and I re-torqued it myself because the road service guy didn't have a clue what he was doing. I do carry a torque wrench and check the lugs periodically.

Maybe you are the "Tim The Tool Man" type where bigger is better. If so more power to you. I was just wondering.

Cheers, Dan
LOL, Yes I have been accused of being a "Tim The Tool Man" type before, but then sanity does eventually prevail and I buy what I need, not what I want.

I managed to find the ARB for $470.00 at a US distributor and if I had a choice of spending $350.00+US for a Vair 450c, or $470.00 for the ARB, the ARB is going to be my choice. The compressor in my coach right now is a very seized chrome Vair unit.
ARB have been making top quality stuff for off roaders in Australia for decades. If you're travelling the Outback in a Toyota Landcruiser, I guarantee you it has been outfitted with ARB lockers, compressor and other bits and pieces.

Tid bit of info

The difference between the Australian outback and the Canadian Tundra.

If you get lost in the Outback the Aussies will make an attempt to find you.......You go tromping off in the Canadian Tundra without telling anyone in which direction you're heading, and you're on your own. We don't bother looking......it's just too big.