Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,367
Interesting. It looks factory. Even more interesting is the 345 I dismantled is newer than Steve's 345 and my 345 did not have that relay. I don't know that the air compressor that was in the 345 is original or not. The installation looked factory but who knows.

One mistake I made when dismantling the 345 was not documenting the wiring for the compressor. To late now

Click image for larger version

Name:	86-345-air-compressor-installation.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	172128

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #30
Full Timers/Diesel power.
 
Mike Leary's Avatar
 
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,540
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Judging by the stains on the floor, I don't think it is as dry as it should be Mike!
I saw that, too.
__________________

__________________
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #31
Full Timers/Diesel power.
 
Mike Leary's Avatar
 
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,540
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Judging by the stains on the floor, I don't think it is as dry as it should be Mike!
I saw that, too. Looks like that crappy (no offence) pressboard, as well.
__________________
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #32
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Electricity is simple, just read some of the teachings of the Prince of Darkness, Mr. Lucas. Then you will understand all.

Cheers, Dan
Thanks Dan.....Yes the Prince of Darkness and I are well aquainted as we are both British and I have owned a 69 MG Midget (being 6'3 I had to put the top down, open the door to get in or out) a MGB GT (could fit as the coupe was taller than the convertibles) and a Rover 3500 V8. All three were well on there way to the great scrap heap in the sky when I owned them. The Prince had the electrics in knots long before I laid a hand on them.........I hate the Prince.

Thanks for the info on the relay and yes I did check if I had power to the pos lead to the compressor coming through the switch. It's hot which made me very happy. Now to choose a compressor......

Cheers Tony
__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #33
Full Timers/Diesel power.
 
Mike Leary's Avatar
 
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,540
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Now to choose a compressor....
Interesting how many of us are sons and daughters of the "Prince". I owned a 109 Land Rover, a Jag XK 150 and an E-Type; I know the warm beer joke!
You might PM Vinny (Airslide), he got a pretty cool compressor for Hans and Lili's mo/ho before it was shipped to the mother country.
__________________
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #34
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,433
It's kinda funny I totally forgot to add my wife's 1995 Jaguar XJS 2+2 convertible.......I guess because it's really a Ford product and uses Bosch and Denso electrics the Prince has been held to every once in a while fuffing up the power window switch; (who would place a window switch horizontaly in a convertible, ). A little WD and we're good.....until the next time.
Ironically the biggest of all the British cars I have owned....can't get in the bloody thing, have to lift the steering and wedge my foot pass the brake pedal, .....Could be I weigh quite a lot more than in my Midget days, LOL.
__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Thanks Dan.....Yes the Prince of Darkness and I are well aquainted as we are both British and I have owned a 69 MG Midget (being 6'3 I had to put the top down, open the door to get in or out) a MGB GT (could fit as the coupe was taller than the convertibles) and a Rover 3500 V8. All three were well on there way to the great scrap heap in the sky when I owned them. The Prince had the electrics in knots long before I laid a hand on them.........I hate the Prince.

Thanks for the info on the relay and yes I did check if I had power to the pos lead to the compressor coming through the switch. It's hot which made me very happy. Now to choose a compressor......

Cheers Tony
I knew there was something familiar about you. I have a real British sports car, a 1964 Midget with side curtains. None of that modern roll up window crap. Actually my Midget is very dependable, I drove it to work in downtown Los Angeles for several years. The only time it failed me was when I broke an axle. Many years ago I had a Jensen Healey which was a great little car. The electrics never failed me but the gas tank rusted out. I do have a series I XJ6 Jag and the distributer gave me so much trouble that I gave up and put a Mallory in it and solved the problem.

The compressor Airslide put in Tin Crumpet's moho was a Chinese copy of the Viair, get the real thing, they are great pumps. Also glad to hear you have power to the back, that save a lot of headaches.

If you look at Keyair's pictures you will see the same relay I recommended. The difference is the wire from the battery is always hot, if you put the relay near the battery that wire is only hot when the relay is energized. It's just one less chance for the Prince to raise his ugly head.

Cheers, Dan
__________________
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,367
Hmm, I sense a trend here. I've had various Triumph sports cars since 1976. Started with a 63 Spitfire, then a 73 TR6, then back to a 64 Spitfire and now a 64 TR4. I like the TR4 the best. I've only gone a few adult years without owning a Triumph.

I am also well versed in Lucas and his quirks

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #37
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I knew there was something familiar about you. I have a real British sports car, a 1964 Midget with side curtains. None of that modern roll up window crap. Actually my Midget is very dependable, I drove it to work in downtown Los Angeles for several years. The only time it failed me was when I broke an axle. Many years ago I had a Jensen Healey which was a great little car. The electrics never failed me but the gas tank rusted out. I do have a series I XJ6 Jag and the distributer gave me so much trouble that I gave up and put a Mallory in it and solved the problem.
Cheers, Dan
I did love my midget, going 50 mph in the midget with your butt 4" off the tarmac feels like 100 mph in my Altima 3.5SE. Sadly in the early 80's you couldn't get MG parts like you can now.
SERIOUSLY!! a Series 1 Jag XJ6.....you're whips and chains kinda guy. A 1996 Jag XJ12 with coil over plug (only made one year) like the AJ16 motor in our XJS is my dream ride. May have to upgrade my Airstream tow hitch.

bkahler's right.....Freud would have a field day with us all...British tiny tin cans and American huge ones. Come to think of it I almost bought my doctors TR8........after the others, I'd had enough of duelling with the Prince of Darkness.
__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,367
I'm not sure I want to admit this publicly but at one time we probably had 20+ Triumphs stashed at various places on our property in Arkansas. When we moved from Arkansas to Kentucky a few years ago I was able to whittle the herd down to 9 and since we've been here the herd is now at 5 with the probability that we will be down to 2 sometime next year.

Anyone have Freud's number?
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I did love my midget, going 50 mph in the midget with your butt 4" off the tarmac feels like 100 mph in my Altima 3.5SE. Sadly in the early 80's you couldn't get MG parts like you can now.
SERIOUSLY!! a Series 1 Jag XJ6.....you're whips and chains kinda guy. A 1996 Jag XJ12 with coil over plug (only made one year) like the AJ16 motor in our XJS is my dream ride. May have to upgrade my Airstream tow hitch.

bkahler's right.....Freud would have a field day with us all...British tiny tin cans and American huge ones. Come to think of it I almost bought my doctors TR8........after the others, I'd had enough of duelling with the Prince of Darkness.
The other thing I really like about my Midget is I can race, pedal to the metal way from every stop light and never get a ticket. The little 1098 at 53 hp doesn't plant you in the seat but you still have fun and 5000 rpm sounds pretty cool through the little 12" glass pac.

I had an old gear-head friend years ago and we determined the difference between the German (Mercedes) and British auto experience.

The Germans get it right, handling, braking, and speed all while you are sitting in your favorate recliner isolated from all things adverse.

The British kind of get you there but all the while your butt is really hanging out on the pavement.

German=boring British=FUN Airstream=boring with a bit of fun thrown in.

Cheers, Dan
__________________
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #40
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,433
I was lucky as my MG had the Cooper 1275 for an amazing 30 hp as at least 30 had escaped over the years.

You're right:
German--boring other than the 2002tti
British--fun other than a Morris Singer station wagon (my mom's first car)
Airstream 310 with air in the brake lines--boring with moments of sheer terror.
__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #41
Full Timers/Diesel power.
 
Mike Leary's Avatar
 
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,540
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Airstream 310 with air in the brake lines--boring with moments of sheer terror.
Less boring is blowing a power steering hose at 60 mph.
__________________
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #42
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,433
Check this beast out!!!!! It will run a 1/2" impact gun WITHOUT a tank!

Oasis XD3000 Air Compressor

Comes in 12V and 24V.

Kinda looks like an Airstream OEM unit.
__________________

__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.