Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
can someone answer this one please. wood replacement/water hookup??

I didnt have any takers on my last post of showing a pic of where the freshwater supply enters the underneath of the moho, so i was wondering if anyone could simply verbally tell me where theirs enters, as i mentioned my reel for the hose is missing, and im kinda confused where it is, i have a 89 345LE. In the process of looking for the freshwater hook-up i removed the bed to inspect freshwater tank and that area, and all is well there, however it is leaking freshwater near the foot of the bed where it enters the rv, underneath the rear shelf (east-west/horizontal) queen plan... so i need to simply cut out about a 3x1' peice of the osb flooring it appears, and put in a new peice... im assuming there is frame under this right?? and i wouldnt have replace the whole flooring for the bedroom area?? the area which appears to have been rotted now like i mentioned is at the foot of the bed near the drivers side rear corner, so you dont exactly step there anyway, but i wanna make sure its safe. All other flooring is fine, i peeled back some carpet. I hooked a hose up to what appears to be my water inlet, which enters the rv on the rear drivers side corner and enters thought the frame in the rear drivers corner under the rear shelf, it had a hose hooked up with an end rigged up there. Any suggestions on how to remove that rear shelf?? i cut a very small peice out on the bottom corner and the area there is wet, and has a lot of little peices of insulation and trash chewed up, so im guessing mice are my culprit, maybe chewing threw a water line?? But any help would be appreciated. David.
swinginping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
replaced wood today, used osb exterior grade plywood, and laid aluminum sheet metal over existing metal, it had rusted in a few spots but was still solid, turned out pretty good i think feels solid to step on, just gotta find the leak now.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Send a PM to "Str8stream" He's got a couple 345's and is a nice and helpfull person who probably has not seen this thread.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Swinginping,
We have an '86 345 with the regular North/South Queen. Our fresh water tank fill is located under a lockable chrome door on the street side rear. It's about 18" below the base of the side window (Next to the fuel fill door). I think yours should be found on the curb side rear.
The shore water hook-up is in the street side lower rear bay. There are two reels in the bay. One is the shore 110v electric cord and the other should be your white shore water hose. The cable TV hook-up is also there.
For your fresh water tank fill, on the inside, there should be a large hose going from the fill to the upper part of the tank. There is also a smaller vent hose going from the fill to the tank. There may just be a loose clamp, or like you surmise, mouse damage.
Good luck, let us know what you find.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Swinginpin,
Here are some shots of our MH. I hope this helps. The two shots of the rear lower bay show where the water reel and it's plumbing go.
Do you have a manual? If not they are available. I can fax you some pages of ours that cover the fresh water if needed.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water heater 014.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	55929   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water heater 015.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	55930  

Name:	AS Water heater 018.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	55931   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water heater 017.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	55932  

Name:	AS Water heater 016.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	55933   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water heater 019.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	55934  

Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
thanks a lot rob for the pics... yeah my freshwater fill is on the curbside rear, and i actually ran my pump and everything worked fine from that aspect... but as i mentioned my reel is missing, and i have no plumbing/lines whatsoever near my compartment... i just have a line sticking out near the curbside rear with a hose attached, when i hooked a supply to it the other day i got nothing.... so i figured it was either clogged or the wrong line..and didnt appear to be leaking, but came back the next day and found it had leaked near the foot of the bed under the rear shelf. So i have replaced the wood which had gotten soft, now just have to find the the leak. It has to be somewhere behind the shelf from where it enters to the freshwater tank, since i can use my plumbing from the freshwater tank leak free. The metal on the bottom was rusted below the wood so appears it has been leaking or awhile. Will update when i find the leak. Has been cold here lately and spent the weekend fixing wood, and gettin 5th wheel hithc out of my pick up, since i dont need it any more . Hopefully can search for leak soon, shouldnt be to hard.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginping
thanks a lot rob for the pics... yeah my freshwater fill is on the curbside rear, and i actually ran my pump and everything worked fine from that aspect... but as i mentioned my reel is missing, and i have no plumbing/lines whatsoever near my compartment... i just have a line sticking out near the curbside rear with a hose attached, when i hooked a supply to it the other day i got nothing.... so i figured it was either clogged or the wrong line..and didnt appear to be leaking, but came back the next day and found it had leaked near the foot of the bed under the rear shelf. So i have replaced the wood which had gotten soft, now just have to find the the leak. It has to be somewhere behind the shelf from where it enters to the freshwater tank, since i can use my plumbing from the freshwater tank leak free. The metal on the bottom was rusted below the wood so appears it has been leaking or awhile. Will update when i find the leak. Has been cold here lately and spent the weekend fixing wood, and gettin 5th wheel hithc out of my pick up, since i dont need it any more . Hopefully can search for leak soon, shouldnt be to hard.
When AS built your rig they put a pressure regulator in the water inlet line between the skin and the interior plumbing. Your leak is very likely to be where this regulator and the pipes are joined. Good luck.
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Finally got a day off, and spent awhile polishing my bumper and logos
out... which actually turned out better than i expected it has a nice mirror finish and looks like chrome. Being in florida and sitting awhile it was oxidixed pretty bad. After doing this i finally decided to look at my water troubles again, hooked the hose up and had nothing... no leaks... no pressure anywhere... so i took the pipe fitting off right before the regulator some drops of muddy water trickled out, and so i took off the fitting which runs into the regulator and it was all clogged up allowing no water to enter, and cleaned my line out and all faucets work like new, and no spotted leaks...well so far... ... now comes the fun part to see if my hot water heater works. I guess the rotted wood i replaced came from a previous leak, or i noticed where the water inlet enters the puddy type stuff around there wasnt tight... and when i hooked water up the first time i unscrewed the line right under the camper to make sure water was coming through, but only for enough time for me to go cut the water off.