Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Cabin widows and a Terry (Overlander63) sighting

After leaving Northern California, we headed to Riverside California to meet Terry (Overlander63) and have him take a look at the windows on our rig (84 310). But first Terry and his boss Barry (The Polishing Guru) spent several hours correcting a raft of leaks which developed over the hard winter in Dunsmuir.

Terry rebuilt four of our nine windows. Now they will open and close completely. The cabin (as opposed to the cockpit) windows seem to depend on some gray plastic track with is NLA. It seems clear that without new track, the windows are never going to operate as smoothly as I would like. Also a couple of my window latches were broken internally, so I asked Terry to dis-able the latching function leaving the handles in place.

As I'm sure you can tell from his posts on this forum, Terry is very knowledgeable and a real nice guy. Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet Marie and Sophie, although Sophie did send Luc a care package. Hopefully we'll get to meet them if we pass through Riverside on out way home.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Guy, it was nice meeting you and Marion (I remembered her name!), as well as Luc. Maybe the next time you get down this way, we can all get together for dinner. And, of course, finishing regasketing the rest of your windows.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Terry,

We've got the same number of windows on coach as Guy does on his. You're welcome ANY time to stop by here in Richmond Kentucky to repair our windows.... I've got all the materials except for the gray tracks mentioned by Guy.

I've been searching the web periodically trying to find a suitable replacement for that track with no success. I'm not going to give up until I find something. Its out there, just gotta find it .
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Terry,

We've got the same number of windows on coach as Guy does on his. You're welcome ANY time to stop by here in Richmond Kentucky to repair our windows.... I've got all the materials except for the gray tracks mentioned by Guy.

I've been searching the web periodically trying to find a suitable replacement for that track with no success. I'm not going to give up until I find something. Its out there, just gotta find it .
I might be in a position where I can demonstrate how do do one on yours later in the year... usually takes about an hour per window, unless some goober has slathered glue of some kind all over...
Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I might be in a position where I can demonstrate how do do one on yours later in the year...
Just one.......
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Just one.......
Experience is the best teacher...There seems to be a mystery about how it's done, maybe I can write another article for Airstream Central.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Experience is the best teacher...There seems to be a mystery about how it's done, maybe I can write another article for Airstream Central.
Please do! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f318...tml#post808973.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post

Terry already has - but there's always room for more

Check out some of his articles here

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I'm not worried to much about the mystery, I'm more interested in finding someone else to do the work .
Old 02-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
After leaving Northern California, we headed to Riverside California to meet Terry (Overlander63) and have him take a look at the windows on our rig (84 310). But first Terry and his boss Barry (The Polishing Guru) spent several hours correcting a raft of leaks which developed over the hard winter in Dunsmuir.

Terry rebuilt four of our nine windows. Now they will open and close completely. The cabin (as opposed to the cockpit) windows seem to depend on some gray plastic track with is NLA. It seems clear that without new track, the windows are never going to operate as smoothly as I would like. Also a couple of my window latches were broken internally, so I asked Terry to dis-able the latching function leaving the handles in place.

As I'm sure you can tell from his posts on this forum, Terry is very knowledgeable and a real nice guy. Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet Marie and Sophie, although Sophie did send Luc a care package. Hopefully we'll get to meet them if we pass through Riverside on out way home.

I certainly do hope you stop back through and all 3 of you come to dinner. I would love to meet you. Also, Sophie can see who Terry was 2 timing her with (Luc). I make a mean roast chicken.

Marie
Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I'm not worried to much about the mystery, I'm more interested in finding someone else to do the work .
Oh, so you're trying to pull a Tom Sawyer...
Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac View Post
I certainly do hope you stop back through and all 3 of you come to dinner. I would love to meet you. Also, Sophie can see who Terry was 2 timing her with (Luc). I make a mean roast chicken.

Marie
We certainly will if we can. We have frail parents and never know when we will have to hurry back. (Actually, that is why we're not in Mexico at this moment)

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Oh, so you're trying to pull a Tom Sawyer...
Who me.........