Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Brighton , sussex
Buying advice for classic Airstream

Hi to All. I'm Planning to buy an 310, 325, 345 or 350 AS motorhome for European travel (mainly France).
I have many questions but for now I wanted to ask about views on a particular vehicle I have seen advertised. It's a 1987 325 eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace.
Is it anyones here? It seems like they have a good knowledge of and have spent some good money. We really want something that needs no work (unlike my car projects). Is 20k ok for what sounds like a well maintained vehicle? I would have to ship it to the UK. Any recent quotes? I guess it won't be in a container? Is there anyone in the US that can inspect it?
Are there any UK owners of 31ft plus motorhomes that would let Sarah and I come and have a 'gander? I'd really like to see one in the flesh and get some advice about using it. Would it need to be converted electrically to be hooked up at campsites or so I can use my 240volt TV, stereo etc or do I just need a big 12volt/240v inverter. Were very excited if we can find a good one.

Del
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Well Good for you!
In the Global streaming section...
If you fish around a bit, you will find a few Classic owners in the UK... and some Import stories.
Off the top of my head, Tincrumpet inported a '82 280, and has a MONSTER Thread here...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f341...ons-59243.html

I think there is another Airstreamer called Chuckles that has one...
That Ebay 325 llooks nice, but I will stuy it a bit more... I bet its someone who is on the forum here... I dont see how you can own one and NOT be here, or lurking a lot!

FYI, I am a Brit, born in Henley, lived in Worthing, and Yapton, and now living in California,and I love my 345 warts and all!. I traveled extensively in Europe in with my Caravan, so I guess I am a little qualified to pass comment.

You have to remember that most of these Beauties are 20 years old or more, so it not a matter of if, its when something needs fixing.
And we dont have that dreaded MOT to deal with!
I would trawl the Forum here and find out as much as you can before you jump!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Montreal,

Try getting in touch with the folks at a site called "eurostream". They seem to know the ins and outs of getting Airstreams around Europe (mostly trailers).

There is also a German outfit called "Airstream4u" that would have a lot of experience with this. Their work is masterful, and probably priced to match.

Good luck.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Brighton , sussex
Its late but thanks for the replies.
Keyair-Did you have a look at the listing?? I'm ready for somthing to go wrong . Its almost a weekly occurence with 5 old cars to play with!
I think this looks like a good one with lots of fairly expensive bits done. I just dont know how it will drive or what else to have checked.
With whatever I go for I plan to get another owner or two have a look and if anything is needed to get it done over there. Who is the best AS mechanic in that area who could inspect it and give me the low down? Its in Oakhurst near Fresno. We want a good looker that we will keep original or freshen up the interior coverings.
One question--Can these be polished up to a really bright shine like the trailers? Is this the original finish. If the finish looks patchy in photos, could this be flaking clear-coat?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Brighton , sussex
Oh yeh.....did they ever get that 280 imported?? I'm on page 100 or something and its about 2 years since it started. Put me out of my misery Very informative and I'm so impressed by the help offered here.
You guys are ok
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Montreal, YES, these beauties DO shine up like the trailers. Find Myrtlelynn, he's got his 345 all shined up and it looks wonderful. Here's his profile link. Airstream Forums - View Profile: Myrtle lynn
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
My opinion...
If you want a trouble free Motorhome....

Look elsewhere.
Its made with technology from another Era AND Continent.
Here, you can find spares relatively easily... Chevy Big Blocks, and TH400 transmissions are like finding a Mini brake pipe... in fact the 454 IS bigger than a Mini!
I dread to think about the issues of finding a Refridgerator, or A/C unit that fits....
Plus shipping...

However, I will tell you... and others will...
The Grin factor will knock your socks off... Wherever you go, people stand and stare...
You can spent $500,000 on a Mega Motorhome, and have $50,000 of Built Jeep behind it...
Nobody looks..

Drive anywhere in your Aluminium Tube(No, I have not forgotten how to say and spell it!), and its like Moths to the flame...

Crack open that throttle, and 8 fist size cylinders fill the countryside with a Chevy V8 Muscle Car soundtrack... and yet you are in an Upscale Knightbridge Club... with your Smoking Jacket, and Slippers on!

The problem is that they are ADDICTIVE...
Kids in cars gawp... adults grin, and chicks wave!

People get obsessive... crawling around underneath... with flashlights and paintbrushes and Cameras...
Looking...
Fixing...
Improving...
Polishing...

Soon the wife leaves and you barely notice...

I am told you can still hold a Cyclo... in a straight Jacket...

Its like Cocaine...

Please do yourself a favor...

Stay away...
Leave them for us...
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh...
And here is a pic proving they CANNOT be polished...
The picture is a Mystery... nobody knows who's Airstream Classic this is...
But the Picture is called...

Christine...

Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Oh...
And here is a pic proving they CANNOT be polished...
The picture is a Mystery... nobody knows who's Airstream Classic this is...
But the Picture is called...

Christine...

MAN!
I love this 345 all polished up and looking beautiful. At some point I want to do the entire beast, but thinking I'm going to keep my 'LE' paint stripes for now. Will shine everything else till the paint fails, or I grow tired of looking at the paint, lol.
Great photo, thanks for sharing.
Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote