Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #29
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
This is best advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Olson
Adding 3/4's of a tank of fresh diesel fuel IS NOT THE SAME AS FRESH FUEL! I would highly suggest having the fuel tank emptied, checked and then filled with fresh fuel. It is not a great experience to have fuel problems on the highway. I recently helped a fellow change his diesel fuel filters in a New Mexico rest area. He also had just purchased a low mieage unit that was only 5 or 6 years old but had sat around most of its life. He had changed the fuel filters and added more fuel. However, sludge/water/sediment in the tank plugged the new filters after only 500-600 miles. We changed the filters and got him going again so that he could get to the next dealer and flush the fuel system. This would not be a problem with a unit that has had several fills each year.

One last piece of advise. Take a friend on the trip. You probably will not have any problems. But, if you do, your wife may always remember them and not trust the MH in the future. The last thing you would want to hear is: "Tell me again why we had to travel 2600 miles to another country to buy this ..... .. ....". You have a great new unit, enjoy!!!!!!!
If you cannot get this done, do not let fuel tank get below 1/2 until you get home and drain.
Death to a diesel is dirty fuel.
Never, never run it out of fuel.

Enjoy the adventure...
Will always be fun to look back at.
You can pick up a few tools and repair items along your way.

#1 item...beef jerky

Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Well we made it ! Nearly 3000 miles over 6 days, with half a day spent at the Grand Canyon and half a day spent at Jackson Centre.
Not sure I would call that rate of travel a vacation, but the objective of getting the MoHo back to Ottawa was achieved !
Although carrying tools, I used none on the powertrain the entire trip - it never skipped a beat. I will need to look at the rear main seal as it is leaking a little oil, but if that is its only issue, I am delighted.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone, I have already acted on several of them. Already have done some HWH jack troubleshooting and despite a dealers assertion that he needed $1600 in parts & labor to begin repair (new motor, pump and solenoids, ++++++), I now am confident that the problem is in one of two solenoids. Dealer declared "burned" wiring harness was, upon close inspection, actually chewed up (darn squirrels...) and easily repaired. I was able to bypass the suspect solenoids last night and the unit levelled automatically in my driveway. I'll spend some more time with the schematics today as I am pretty sure the problem is that a solenoid detecting when the units parking brakes are on is the sorce of the problem.

I love the way this rig drives, although I miss a few of the gimmicks that are on my 345 (what other MoHo had a doorbell, or integrated food processor ?) Lots of small things to fix and the decals and clearcoat are a mess from the Arizona heat but it is as solid as the day it left the factory.

John

Old 05-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadejo
Well we made it ! Nearly 3000 miles over 6 days, with half a day spent at the Grand Canyon and half a day spent at Jackson Centre.
Congrats on your new purchase! It's a beauty! Keep us posted on your progress. When you have time, we would love to see more photos!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #32

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Shadejo.....

So, what has happened with you and your '95 Classic 36 since you last posted in May of 2007? I bought my moho (like yours) this past September and have been doing little things here and there....

Do you travel with it? Are you coming down to the DC area in the future?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
Shadejo.....

So, what has happened with you and your '95 Classic 36 since you last posted in May of 2007? I bought my moho (like yours) this past September and have been doing little things here and there....

Do you travel with it? Are you coming down to the DC area in the future?

Well, owning a MoHo means having a continuous list of things to work on. Fixed all of the smaller gremlins over the past couple of years and performed some carpentry on the secondary couch which had a number of glue joint failures. The drawers throughout the unit continue to need attention - I hate the chipboard they switched too from the plywood in earlier models. One day I will get mad and fabricate new ones.

We have travelled throughout Eastern Canada and the North Eastern US with it and it has asked little of me mechanically. I have done some brake maintenance, all fluids have been changed at least once (engine oil before the start of each season) . I still have not dealt with the rear main seal, as it has been easier to toss another liter of oil in it every 700-800 miles than pull the transmission.

The dash heater core leaks, and has been bypassed. I'd love to change it but it is a major, and very difficult undertaking. Since we don't travel in winter it is more of a nuisance. Last fall on our final outing I did use the airconditioner heater strip, and the generator to take the chill off the interior. After some false starts sourcing them, I replaced windshield arms last summer. I've added a satelite dish dome on one of the last remaining open spaces on the roof !

Cosmetically, I stripped and polished the front 8 to 10 feet of the coach, but the baked decals remain on the back 3/4 of the coach. Priority has been to keep it safe and operational and enjoy use of it rather than make it pretty !

Overall I still love the fact that it is the last of the aluminium MoHo's and have seen nothing I'd replace it with.

Good luck with yours - would love to see it but I am not planning on being that far South in the next couple of years. You could always come up for a visit to Canada and our (Ottawa) capital region !

John
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
If you have done some traveling, I hope you took some great pics to share over in the Picture thread.... and some pics of your strip and polish progress would be a bonus and spur to us slow coaches!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #35

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Was it a lot of work to strip her? Did you reseal or are you simply waxing the exposed area now?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
from a diesel freak from years ago, don't know if it's the same now, I think once you get to AZ, pick up some diesel treatment from the local Auto Parts store. Been so long since I've had a diesel, I've forgotten what I used. I always squirted some in with each fill-up of my diesel. Once I sold it, the guy wouldn't listen to my advice and was purchasing a fuel pump 2000 miles later. But, this was the days when before 'low-sulfer' diesel fuel. You never know what's in those lines or that tank. Maybe best bet is to have it whole system flushed like Wayne Olsen recommends.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I have a 1984 Mercedes 190D Auto, now with 195k miles on her...
After a friend gave me a heads up, I have been experimenting with Powerservices Additive, and have consistantly seen a 2 to 3 MPG improvement every time I use it.
When I dont use it in a tank, I get 30/32 mpg, and when I use it I get 33/36 mpg. I notice no other difference in power or smoothness..

I have been using these 2 types.
Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economyPower Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boos
and
Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economyPower Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boos