Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Originally Posted by shadejo
(or perhaps that is because of all the British cars I've owned with Lucas electrics....)
Ha "Lucas...the Prince of Darkness!"

Have you considered stocking up on new tools.... Harbor Freight could ship all the new stuff you want/need to the seller for you. Then you can gently use them as you travel and import them without paying Canada Customs.

Check with others and see if the fuel tank has a bottom drain. It could be as easy to dump the old fuel as the P-30's are.

Do you belong to Good Sam or any other RV Club? Their roadside assistance could be worth the cost of admission. I use the CW President's Club roadside assistance as I'm on the road all the time. It pays for itself the first time that you need it.

Pictures, we want to see the pictures.... hope it was a great buy, oh and that the dollar is in as advantageous a position as possible for you.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
OK pictures ! I was so busy inspecting that I did not take that many. The drivers side exterior is pretty good, although the decals are suffering from the Arizona sun. The passenger side and front is suffering from lots of clear coat and decal peel so I have some significant polishing and refinishing ahead. At this point my 345's exterior is in better shape, but I see loads of potential with the new one, and perhaps most importantly it has no major dents or scars in the skin.

Interior is basically the same as the shots on Fred's airstream site. Leather loveseat on the right front, convertible couch on the left, leather dinette midships and North-South Queen bed at the back. One thing I really liked was the relatively easy access to the entire engine area after pulling the mattress off the bed. Sure beats working through what amounts to a trap door on the 345's. Hopefully no more skinned arms when working in the engine bay!

As far as price, I believe both the seller and I are content that the deal was fair. In the end these particular units are somewhat hard to value - there simply are not ,and very few sales to compare to.

I do have Good Sam roadside coverage and have thus far found it very effective in warding off problems (i.e. have not had to use it yet on my 345 !) The card will definitely be along for this trip !
Attached Images

shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
Haven't found any mention of the year or price of the 345? Is it an LE, have pics?
William Ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice lookin rig! What's the inside lay out?
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
you are more than ready to take this trip .I would do it in a heart beat.ya got some tools,cash,you will be on the road!you wont have any problems you cant handle with that truck.That thing is built to travel.

have fun!

bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
Airstream Advise

Join Cummins Power Masters Road Club. This will give you a 10% discount on parts and repairs at Cummins facilities along with a national warranty. Power Service products will help you manage you fuel issues. Sounds like you have a great rig. If you ever decide to sell it let me know. Rodger 613-503-6446
Mobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
William, my old 345 is not yet up for sale, however it is a late 1985 (has the extra engine cooling vents on the side) It is not designated an LE (I don't think thye made LE's in 85) but does have the leather driver and passenger seats. It has the double corner bed in the rear, a newish engine and transmission, and most of the interior upholstery has been refurbished.

For those curious about the layout of the 1995 Cummins powered 360, check Fred's airstream site out. The new coach is nearly identical to this one:

Fred's Airstream Motorhome Class A Archives - 1995 Airstream 36 Diesel (B)

Old 03-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
Thumbs up

Just looked at the pictures on Freds - That's gotta be the best moho Airstream built - You did good!!
Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Quick update, I'm on the road near the Kansas border making our way back from Phoenix. Threw caution to the wind and brought wife and youngest daughter along. They are actually enjoying the trip and were prepped for the possibility of a roadside breakdown....

Spent the weekend prepping the motorhome in the previous owners driveway, oil, filters, minor repairs, etc,etc. So far we have covered just under 1000 miles since we left Monday morning, and things have been uneventful. Slight pull to the left under hard braking (but I was already planning a major brake overhaul as soon as we are back). Worst braking is behind us now as we went up through the Grand Canyon and then thru the Colorado Rockies today. Engine is purring, and transmission is great. Wouldn't have dared some of the grades we covered today with my 345, it would have been very unhappy going up them. Cummins didn't complain at all and I actually had no difficult passing many trucks going up the steepest grades.

Only real nuisance is that the hydraulic leveling system is out of action. It appears to have cooked the motor (wiring harness was badly burnt up). I knew it was broken when I bought the rig and was hoping for a cheap and easy fix like a broken wire (of which I have found several on other items)

Anyone here got any tips on HWH leveling systems? I am hoping I can replace individual components (motor?, Hydraulic pump?) rather than entire assemblies.

Anyway, only about 1900 miles till home ......

Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
HWH is great to work with. Give customer support a call. On one call with them the support guy said 'we have parts for everything we have ever made'.

I recently 'exchanged' a leaking jack. They charged me ~$250 plus shipping. Sent me a brand new jack, I sent them my old one. Cost to buy the new jack ~$550.

You could stop by the factory in Moscow, Iowa. There service center is great. Also they have customer parking with electric hook ups to overnight in. Not very scenic but the price is right ($0). There are some nice COE campsites in the area but I don't know if there is flooding to worry about.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion - The Dalai Lama

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:02 AM   #25
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Originally Posted by shadejo
As a mechanical engineer I have an inherent mistrust of all things electric (or perhaps that is because of all the British cars I've owned with Lucas electrics....)
Why do the British drink warm beer?
Lucas refridgerators!

Good luck with the Moho...very nice!

*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #26
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Nice MoHo!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #27
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Originally Posted by David Alan
That's gotta be the best moho Airstream built - You did good!!
I agree!
Thats the only unit better than the 36 classic gasser, yup you guessed it, I got one......

We looooooove it!
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Hey John,

Great find! You'll get many years of pleasure from that rig.

I'm a certified HWH service center and will tell you that they are one of the best companies in the US to work with. Give their tech support a call and they will spend huge amounts of time with you on diagnosing your problem(s) and will then send you what ever you need to get your levelers working again.

As Guy said, if you are traveling I-80, the factory is right off the highway in Moscow, IA, about 45 minutes West of the Quad Cities area. Not exactly scenic, but they have the personnel to get your system right if you can't do it yourself or find anyone in your area to do it for you.

You can reach HWH at 1-800-321-3494.

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote