Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Black Water Tank :-(

Can it be repaired (plastic weld) or do thy still make new ones? I have a leak at just above half tank but have yet to drop it and inspect just would like to know my options first and this is the place for answers.
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Josh,

Keep in mind the 345 we're dismantling should have the same tank. I can't say if it's any good but will be able to check in a few weeks once I get the floors removed.

I'm glad the leveler worked out for you!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Rowan, check with Keyair, he's got some kind of 'concoction' usig PVC pipe and MEK paint thinner. Seems he's done more than one repair to his tanks using this mixture.
Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
They can be 'welded, but once you remove one of those tanks(not a job for the faint-of-heart or smell-sensitive), you might want to consider having a new one fabricated...pricey, at first, but the old ones begin to show their age, and further leaks and cracks will occur...it's not something you would want to repair, again, E V E R ! ! !
I have replaced the dump lines, gate valves, and 'sweep' from the gray and black water, and once through, vowed "NEVER again!". If you do it yourself, wear a tyvek jumpsuit, hair cover, goggles, earplugs, latex or nitrile gloves(double glove), face mask, and most important, keep your mouth closed...the previous words come to you from one who learned most of it the hard way, and took antibiotics and eyedrops for 2 weeks, and the sinus-trapped odor is burned in my memory to this day...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Michael, thanks for the heads up!

I'm going to be removing the black water tank from the chassis sometime in the next few months. I'm not sure if I'm glad to know what to look forward to or not

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Josh,
I am not sure what they are made of but I am unsure my MEK/ABS slurry would work.
I think they are polyprop or something...

I know they can be welded...
I have one of these kits that I bought a while back and have had great success with it... You can find them online for much less than MSRP...
Model 6 Airless Plastic Welder | Airless Welders

Personally, I would get your tank guy to fabricate a new one if you need one!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Aluminum Addict

1970 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2
They can be 'welded, but once you remove one of those tanks(not a job for the faint-of-heart or smell-sensitive), you might want to consider having a new one fabricated...pricey, at first, but the old ones begin to show their age, and further leaks and cracks will occur...it's not something you would want to repair, again, E V E R ! ! !
I have replaced the dump lines, gate valves, and 'sweep' from the gray and black water, and once through, vowed "NEVER again!". If you do it yourself, wear a tyvek jumpsuit, hair cover, goggles, earplugs, latex or nitrile gloves(double glove), face mask, and most important, keep your mouth closed...the previous words come to you from one who learned most of it the hard way, and took antibiotics and eyedrops for 2 weeks, and the sinus-trapped odor is burned in my memory to this day...
Oh yay! I'm moving onto this after I'm done with my freshwater tank, something to look forward to! :/
SeasideSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Cooler weather is a plus, and maybe a small fan to direct the fumes...the 'empty and well-flushed tank' is never empty, and never clean...little coffer dams will continue to give way during the experience...I wish all of you...well...well.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Cooler weather is a plus, and maybe a small fan to direct the fumes...the 'empty and well-flushed tank' is never empty, and never clean...little coffer dams will continue to give way during the experience...I wish all of you...well...well.
There will be one difference between my method of removing the 345 black water tank compared to Josh. I'll be removing the walls first to the point only the floor is left and then I'll cut the floor away. Should make it easy to get to the tank that way. I'll have natural breezes on my side

From what you describe I think when I finally get around to working on the Argosy black water piping (which need some work) I don't believe I'll try and do that inside a shop building. Yuk...
Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Cedar City , Utah
Depending upon the damage, you can weld these tanks. I bought a plastic welder from Harbor Freight and used it to repair my black water tank; relocated the vent stack because it caused the wall to be at an angle. The hole where one of the lower-most sensor was located was so bad I didn't want to risk putting a new sensor in so I cut it a little larger and used one of the plastic patches they sell at trailer stores then welded it in. Just as with regular welding, you wouldn't want to attempt this without first practicing. Personally, I'd consider replacing it if you can. Best of luck! -Mary
marydixon555 is offline   Reply With Quote