Old 09-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
Black tank overflow

Streamers,
Everyone but me probably knows this, but....
On the 345, your bathroom sink water goes to the black tank not the gray.
How do I know this you ask?
I wanted to dump full tanks, so I ran the toilet until the black tank read full. I then ran the bathroom and kitchen faucets until the gray tank was full. But now I had crap water all over the bathroom and hall carpet as the toilet had overflowed. Yuck!
After spending $220 to have the carpet cleaned, I did an experiment. With both tanks empty, I ran just the bathroom faucet. The black tank was the one that started filling.
I hope this helps ANYONE to not have this problem.
Later, Rob

Old 09-09-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
'Nuf said! So sorry you had to go through this though Yucky indeed! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Rob,

So sorry to hear about your troubles , but you may have saved others the same fate. I'm headed out to check my 370 ASAP. I haven't noticed an unusually fast filling black tank, even after 8 straight days of constant use, but better safe than what happened to you. Very odd they'd plumb the kitchen sink down the same side and run it into the gray tank, but put the bath sink another way !

Thanks,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Fishers , Indiana
Rob,
Did the cleaning save the carpet? Sorry I could not be of more help when you called.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
It looks like we did save the carpet. All the odor is gone. They used some very strong stuff to kill the bacteria. There is still a small outline left in the hallway where the outer edge of the wetness was. They will be back out Wednesday to get that out.
What a mess!
Rob
Old 09-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Rob,

I just ran a test on my bath AND kitchen sinks using a bucket of clean water, opening the gray water drain valve, pouring the water into each sink separately, and checking the outside drain to be sure the water ran out. It all did. I am totally dumbfounded that your MoHo is plumbed with the bath sink going into the black tank! Is there any chance a PO did some plumbing "work" on your MoHo? If Aistream did that, it's totally inexcusable. I realize I'm not telling you anything you haven't already thought, but since most, if not all, of the Classics had the same bath set-up, i.e. sink in the bath with the commode up on a "platform", it just blows me away your sink was piped into the black tank. I had to rebuild my commode platform several months ago, and you may know this, the commode is literally plumbed into a house-type 3" PVC pipe almost straight down into the black tank. The drain pipe for my sink goes along the side wall inside the vanity toward the rear of the coach until it goes down into the gray tank almost behind the bath.

Once you recover from this , are you going to attempt to redo the drain from the sink? One other unpleasant thought...have you tested your kitchen sink to be sure it's not draining into the black as well? My sink and bath drains join inside the bath vanity, and then go into the gray tank.
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
I did not think to test the Kitchen sink. The coach looks like everything is as it left the factory.
Could it be that the original owner ordered the coach this way?
But since we seem to fill the gray tank faster, I think I like it this way. I think it will give me more lattituded in managing my tanks.
Rob
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
We rented a 30 ft., Four Winds Class C in Alaska with a Fly-Drive WBCCI Caravan last spring. We found that only the shower went into the gray tank! Even tho we didn't do much cooking in the unit, we had to dump the black tank every two to three days. Seems others do strange things also.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Odd that the bathroom sink would feed to the black tank. Wouldn't soap stop the chemical reaction of the bacteria in the black tank - which the owners manual warns against for our 71. Agree it sounds like something the PO did.