Old 11-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The moho is so much more convenient than the 68 Overlander...pull in, level if ya gotta, and the only real chore is moving the 6 boxes, satellite dish, table, and EZ up to the front, so we can lay down...all done from inside...a blessing when it's raining...'course, gotta do the reverse in the am(ok, really in the afternoon), but we're 9 months in the moho, and are trying to go full-time...Lord knows how many boxes we'll have then...wouldn't change it for the world!!!mike

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Mid-Ohio track ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Sounds like it gets used a lot which is great!

Many moons ago I had a Harley, now its Triumph sports cars (most are still being restored) or my 51 Dodge truck which is also in restoration.

We usually tow Susan's Spitfire race car behind our 310. The main reason we bought a motorhome was to have something to live in at the race tracks. Lots of fun and we're looking to use it more for sight seeing and relaxation now.

Brad
Do you ever get up to Mid-Ohio near Lexington, Mansfield Ohio ?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
Do you ever get up to Mid-Ohio near Lexington, Mansfield Ohio ?
We've raced there once in 2002. While living in Texas and Arkansas it was such a long drive we couldn't make the races there. Now that its about 275 miles away we plan/hope to race there at least once a year.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Well, progress hasn't been nearly as fast as I would have liked. Too many things have gotten in the way. The motorhome is still parked outside and I haven't finished with the battery tray yet. But, I've made some good progress over the last few days.

Using a 4" hand grinder I removed the remains of the tray bottom and cleaned up all of the rusty jagged edges. I then used a wire wheel to clean up the rusty areas where I would be welding new metal.

I went to a local fabricator and had him bend up some sheet metal for the sides and bottom. Cost was $20 for the four sides and the bottom which I didn't think was to bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-tray-repair-1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	94296 Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-tray-repair-2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	94297

Name:	battery-tray-repair-3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	94298 Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-tray-repair-4.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	94299

This was my first chance to use my new (old actually!) Betamig 200 welder on sheet metal and I was very pleased with its performance. I still have a few small areas on the seams where I want to do more welding and there are one or two small holes I need to patch as well. I had to take more metal out of the side wall than I planned in a few spots hence the need for a couple of small patches.

The floor itself is not welded in as yet, I'll probably get that done this weekend. Remaining work to do is weld in the floor, add some small drain holes in the floor, add a stiffener brace along the bottom similar to what Airstream did only I plan on making it a little stronger. I will sandblast all the rusty areas. After that I plan on coating the inside and outside with spray on Rhino liner.

I do plan on fabricating some sort of hold down mechanism for the batteries before I'm finished.

At the current rate of progress I just might have it done this year......

Brad
Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Brad,
Looks great. How many and what kind of batteries do you plan to install?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Guy,

At this point we're not sure. Due to two battery failures at the same time while on the road last fall (one coach and the starting battery) we replace them with the same type to allow us to get back on the road. So now we have new batteries that should last for a while.

The next time we are faced with replacing batteries we'll look at what's available at the time and go from there.

I'm not sure if I want to tackle moving the starting battery like you did. We don't boondock near as much as I think you do so capacity isn't quite the issue for us. Of course now that I've said that we'll probably run into capacity issues .

Brad
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Believe it or not I'm getting close to being finished with the repairs on the battery tray . I've attached some pictures showing the latest progress. One of the changes I made was instead of using a 1" angle iron along the bottom I'm using a 1" thick wall square tubing. I found during the rework that Airstream had build the tray by just spot welding the metal floor to the flanges along the bottom and then welded the angle iron to the bottom. The problem with this approach is as the floor started rusting away there was nothing to hold the angle iron in place so it just started to sag and tear away .

What I did was weld a 1/4" x 1" flat iron strap up the side of the new tray and then welded it to the end of the 1" tubing. A whole lot more of the battery box is going to have to rust away before the batteries fall out now .

For battery hold downs I am basically doing what Airstream did which is using all thread studs with a flat metal bar laying across the top of the batteries. I'll probably have two bars, one for the two coach batteries and one for the starter battery.

Yet to do is patch a small rust hole on the back, grind some of the welds smooth, drill some 1/2" drain holes in the bottom, sand blast and then spray with rubberized bed liner.

Name:	battery-tray-repair-5.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	94960 Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-tray-repair-6.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	94961

Name:	battery-tray-repair-7.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	94962 Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-tray-repair-8.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	94963
Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Looks terrific.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 02-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Nice Job !

Thank You for posting the great Photos
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Nice job on the battery tray fix. Looking at the pictures in your first post it's any wonder your batteries ever managed to stay on board.

One question though. With the extra depth do you think you'll have issue with clearance? I've been crawling under mine lots recently (post coming soon) and when not jacked up it's tight under there.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
Nice job on the battery tray fix. Looking at the pictures in your first post it's any wonder your batteries ever managed to stay on board.
Someone was definitely looking out for us on our trips .

Quote:
One question though. With the extra depth do you think you'll have issue with clearance? I've been crawling under mine lots recently (post coming soon) and when not jacked up it's tight under there.
Even with the extra depth the bottom of the box will still be several inches or more off the ground compared to the Banks muffler that is installed. All told its about 2-1/2" deeper than it was before.

If we ever get up to 50+ degrees here in Kentucky I will be able to spray on the rubber liner, once that's done its ready to go back on the motorhome. Unfortunately the temps are expected to be below freezing for another week so there won't be any progress to report for a week or two.

Brad
Old 02-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #40
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Brad , are you using two twelve volt batteries for house batteries? Has anyone put the 6 volt golf cart/RV batteries in series for house batteries?
Mike
Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
Brad , are you using two twelve volt batteries for house batteries? Has anyone put the 6 volt golf cart/RV batteries in series for house batteries?
Mike
Mike,

Currently we are using two 12 volt batteries for the coach. One of the reasons I deepened the battery tray was to allow us to use larger (i.e. taller) batteries if we chose to.

I believe Guy99 is using golf cart batteries. He has posted some of his info about his installation in this thread. Definitely worth considering if you're going to rework your tray.

Brad
Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Mike,
I believe Guy99 is using golf cart batteries. He has posted some of his info about his installation in this thread. Definitely worth considering if you're going to rework your tray.

Brad
To clarify, I relocated my chassis battery thus making room for four house batteries in the battery drawer. But since my drawer lacks the enhancement Brad has done, I can't fit golf cart batteries (they are too tall). So I have 4 12 volt marine/deep cycle batteries.