Old 10-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
on my 345 there is a small storage area in front of the Coach door and behind the battery tray. No slide out drawer

I think the one you mention is the one I have behind my coach door

It looks to be just right for a small tool box or maybe a battery ??? and close to the existing cables
The 310's and 345's have different drawer/bin configurations. On my 310 the battery drawer is on the street side. Right behind it is a full size drawer with a hinged cover.

On my rig the slides for the battery drawer are MUCH beefier than the slides on the other drawers.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
If yer willing to remove the front barrel chair, you should be able to put in a couple(at least) AGM batteries...no fumes, and you could turn them sideways without leak...they would be over the battery drawer, so wiring would be a minimal problem...that's for the 345...I believe the 310 has the battery compartment under the floor just inside the door.
When we had our solar panels installed, the folks there said the extra weight of more than 3 batteries would cause the slide to fail, eventually...mike

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
...I believe the 310 has the battery compartment under the floor just inside the door....mike
On my 84 310 the battery drawer is street side just aft of the driver's seat.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 11-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
If yer willing to remove the front barrel chair, you should be able to put in a couple(at least) AGM batteries...no fumes, and you could turn them sideways without leak...they would be over the battery drawer, so wiring would be a minimal problem...that's for the 345...I believe the 310 has the battery compartment under the floor just inside the door.
When we had our solar panels installed, the folks there said the extra weight of more than 3 batteries would cause the slide to fail, eventually...mike
I like the Idea of removing the front barrel chair any way Mike ! and this way I can give my Wife a good excuse !!! ( Mike said to do it this way )
The thing is useless as far as I am concerned anyway.

I think we could build back a box, ledge, Raised floor the same height as the driving helm area and tie the ares together for more efficiency when turning the Co-Captains chair around for a conversation area.

This could Lighten up the load on the under tray and Open up some room for battery assessor y tools like jumper cables and testers, distilled water. ?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We pulled out both barrel chairs, the tv, and the tv cabinet and put in a treadle sewing machine for a computer desk...left an area for two more batteries behind the passenger seat...works great for us...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
How about that Brad, we have some friends in Richmond that have boats in our marina. State Dock marina, Jamestown is off SR-127 south of the parkway that you traveled. there is a lovely Ky Park camp ground and state lodge here also if you would ever like to camp and Boat we could fix you up.
sounds like you get good use out of your airstream and enjoy her. we get up 75 every week, sometimes 2 to 3 times and Bob Evans or steak and shake are our stops. Lots of new growth there in Richmond
I hope you enjoy the Area Brad
John,

This was our year for moving and we're hoping next year will be a year where we can play! Susan and I will have to stop by your marina one of these weekends and relax for a change. It's been a busy year for us... so some relaxation would be nice .

Do you take your 345 on your trips up I-75?

For the next 15 years or so Richmond should see some decent growth due to the project that we work at expanding its work force. We'll have to have lunch or dinner with you one of these days.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Brad,

Once you get the new battery box fabricated take it to the local LineX dealer and have it sprayed. I used to get rust around the exposed storage boxes water connection box and aft sliding drawer on my Classic and the LineX put a stop to it.

By the way welcome to the Bluegrass State!! There are many beautiful things to see and do within easy reach of Richmond. If you have ever thought about becoming a WBCCI member the Kentucky Unit is very active and a great group of people to hang out with. You can view their web site at www.kentucky.wbcci.net
I'm thinking more and more about lining with something like LineX. You can buy similar stuff in spray cans so thats probably what I'll use. I like the idea of using something that is impervious to acid .

Susan and I really like what we've seen so far in Kentucky. It's a beautiful state with a whole lot to offer. Neither of us are much into joining clubs, we just enjoy getting out when we can which unfortunately isn't near as much as we would like. We might have to check out one of your events one of these days however.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
I rigged a battery tray and supports just forward of the battery drawer. It is a pain to get the battery in and out (you have to lay on your back and lift/slide it into place) but it did give me room for four house batteries.

I only have one solenoid on my battery drawer too (its for the boost function you describe) but I also have two switches, two power posts, and a shunt.

I have mostly "0" and "00" wiring so its pretty crowded.
Interesting modification. I'll have to look at what it would take to do something similar. I don't mind having to lift the battery up in place of course as I get older I might change my tune on that one .

If you need to connect a battery charger do you have to crawl underneath and reach up to connect it or did you run some terminal points to someplace more accessible? I can see using an Anderson SB type connector for something like this.

What are the two switches you have in your battery tray? Mine had one which is for disconnecting the coach batteries from the system. The starter battery cables on ours appears to be about 00 but the main wires for the coach batteries is more like 1 or possibly 0.

Also, what is the shunt for?

Thanks!

Brad
Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Didn't make any progress on the battery tray this weekend. I spend my time reorganizing the shop so I could get the 310 inside to work on it (still not done unfortunately). Along with rebuildng the battery tray I need to replaced ALL of the windows seals, door weather stripping and plumbing vent gaskets. While I'm at it I want to install the new Maxair fan that we've had sitting new in the box for about 8 months now.

So putting the motorhome in the shop and out of the weather will just make life a lot easier for me!

I did take some pictures of the wiring in the battery compartment area and will post them later this evening.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Interesting modification. I'll have to look at what it would take to do something similar. I don't mind having to lift the battery up in place of course as I get older I might change my tune on that one .

If you need to connect a battery charger do you have to crawl underneath and reach up to connect it or did you run some terminal points to someplace more accessible? I can see using an Anderson SB type connector for something like this.

What are the two switches you have in your battery tray? Mine had one which is for disconnecting the coach batteries from the system. The starter battery cables on ours appears to be about 00 but the main wires for the coach batteries is more like 1 or possibly 0.

Also, what is the shunt for?

Thanks!

Brad
If I needed to put a charger on the chassis battery I'd have to crawl under the rig to get to the terminals. (I'd most likely pull the battery out so I could check the water as well).

I have an on/off switch for the chassis battery as well as the house batteries so I could connect a charger there. I also have a Ultra Trik-L-Start (Ultra Trik-L-Start) installed so I could just plug the rig in and let the chassis battery slowly charge.

The shunt is for a Trimetric battery monitor.(TriMetric Battery System Monitor)

Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
John,

This was our year for moving and we're hoping next year will be a year where we can play! Susan and I will have to stop by your marina one of these weekends and relax for a change. It's been a busy year for us... so some relaxation would be nice .

Do you take your 345 on your trips up I-75?

For the next 15 years or so Richmond should see some decent growth due to the project that we work at expanding its work force. We'll have to have lunch or dinner with you one of these days.

Brad
No, the 345 is either on the farm near Bucyrus Ohio, tucked into a woods with a pond for when we are up that way during the summer month's.
In our storage South of Jamestown in between for service and special projects.
Then from Dec. 1st through April on the Saint Johns river close to Saint Augustine with the Harley Trailer at her side !!!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
No, the 345 is either on the farm near Bucyrus Ohio, tucked into a woods with a pond for when we are up that way during the summer month's.
In our storage South of Jamestown in between for service and special projects.
Then from Dec. 1st through April on the Saint Johns river close to Saint Augustine with the Harley Trailer at her side !!!
Sounds like it gets used a lot which is great!

Many moons ago I had a Harley, now its Triumph sports cars (most are still being restored) or my 51 Dodge truck which is also in restoration.

We usually tow Susan's Spitfire race car behind our 310. The main reason we bought a motorhome was to have something to live in at the race tracks. Lots of fun and we're looking to use it more for sight seeing and relaxation now.

Brad
Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
If I needed to put a charger on the chassis battery I'd have to crawl under the rig to get to the terminals. (I'd most likely pull the battery out so I could check the water as well).

I have an on/off switch for the chassis battery as well as the house batteries so I could connect a charger there. I also have a Ultra Trik-L-Start (Ultra Trik-L-Start) installed so I could just plug the rig in and let the chassis battery slowly charge.

The shunt is for a Trimetric battery monitor.(TriMetric Battery System Monitor)
Thanks for the links. I kind of like the Ultra-Trik L-Start. I've been looking for a reasonable way to keep the engine battery charged.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Here are a few pictures of the battery compartment area.

Working in this area with the tray out is going to be SO much easier. I guess I better do all I can .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery compartment left.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	90224 Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery compartment center.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	90222 Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery compartment right.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	435.4 KB