Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Backup - Rearview Cameras

We currently have a 1978 24ft Argosy motorhome that we have enjoyed for the past 15 years. In the near future we hope to upgrade to a Classic Airstream. Neither ours, nor the hoped for Classic have backup/rear-view cameras. Regardless of which we will be travelling with in the future, we would like to install one. Ideally, we'd like to keep from adding a new hole to the skin and would like to mount a small "eye" where the middle, rear running light is located. Looking for something small that would not only serve as an aid for backing up, but also help us to keep an eye on a toad, when we do tow one. I've seen ads for the wireless license plate cameras, but those don't seem like they would be very helpful for keeping an eye on the toad. Seems it would most likely only provide a view of the toad's front end. Interested in hearing suggestions from those of you that have installed new cameras or replaced existing ones on your motorhomes. Wireless vs wired? Comments on both the cameras and monitors would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Although my install is in a 30' Classic TRAILER, this may help. I am still quite happy with the setup. There is a Digital system out there now, instead of the 2.44mhz analog I have....but it is twice the total cost. Voyager, I think is the brand, but I'm not sure.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ras-83497.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
We currently have a 1978 24ft Argosy motorhome that we have enjoyed for the past 15 years. In the near future we hope to upgrade to a Classic Airstream. Neither ours, nor the hoped for Classic have backup/rear-view cameras. Regardless of which we will be travelling with in the future, we would like to install one. Ideally, we'd like to keep from adding a new hole to the skin and would like to mount a small "eye" where the middle, rear running light is located. Looking for something small that would not only serve as an aid for backing up, but also help us to keep an eye on a toad, when we do tow one. I've seen ads for the wireless license plate cameras, but those don't seem like they would be very helpful for keeping an eye on the toad. Seems it would most likely only provide a view of the toad's front end. Interested in hearing suggestions from those of you that have installed new cameras or replaced existing ones on your motorhomes. Wireless vs wired? Comments on both the cameras and monitors would be appreciated.
Belle- Just in case you don't have a particular Classic MH in mind I'll describe the functions that are on our 1990 345LE with an intec camera/monitor set-up.

With ours you have a choice to use it only for backing up or simply flip a switch (on the monitor) where you can then keep an eye on what's behind you. How far back you care to view depends on what angle you choose to have the camera pointing.

The camera is gigantic compared to what's available now a days but we've never had any reason to update it.

Don't have any idea how many other Classics came factory with this set-up but I'd guess many of them did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01489.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	163890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01490.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	163891  

Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
345bill, have the exact same set-up on my '89. My only problem is, had a buddy driving the Airstream one day who decided that the monitor needed 'adjusting'. Which he therefore proceeded to adjust the monitor into oblivion. About to head outside and pull bottom plate to see what I can maybe get re-adjusted.
My only plan at some point is to change to a color camera/monitor, which at this point, is WELL down the road, lol
Thanks, Derek
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the input 345bill and crazeevw. Every little bit of info helps.